Are these tibial hooks?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've seen tables where they had dozens of medium sized T's of the same species with a bunch labeled as females and a bunch as unsexed but not a single labeled as male. Kind of suspicious if you ask me.
I've seen it too and I don't understand why the seller isn't able to see how suspicious it is.
Like you, I want to trust people, but it is getting increasingly difficult. I have had an issue with two lately - my B. albopilosum and my P. imperator - both being sold as confirmed females and both ending up males. The scorpion isn't such a big deal, because their lifespans are pretty much the same (plus, I have heard that males are often more docile), but the tarantulas are a big deal. I want to believe that it was a mistake, but it is getting more and more difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I don't tend to sell tarantulas as sexed unless they are mature. I will tell a buyer what gender I suspect and I'm happy to take pictures from any angle they would like and I try to keep the most recent molt on hand and will gladly send pictures of that as well. I just can't make a guarantee. I've been wrong before. I just had an avic recently that I was dead wrong about. Fortunately it wasn't for sale or sold.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I like your optimism but the longer I am in the hobby (reptiles as well) the more cynical I become. I like to trust people. I don't like feeling that everyone is out to screw me over but sadly its becoming more and more difficult not to feel that way. I've sold maybe 100 tarantulas in my time that were large enough to be sexed and only maybe 10 or so were ever sold as guaranteed females simply because I didn't know for sure. Either I couldn't get a molt or find anyone who could give me a definite answer (I admit I am not so good at it myself)

I've seen tables where they had dozens of medium sized T's of the same species with a bunch labeled as females and a bunch as unsexed but not a single labeled as male. Kind of suspicious if you ask me.

I suppose it could be like a snake where if you pop the hemipenes it's obviously a male but if they don't pop it could still be a male so there is some uncertainty. If you see the spermathecae its a female but on some it just may be to difficult to see. Still, it makes me suspicious.
I've seen it too and I don't understand why the seller isn't able to see how suspicious it is.
Like you, I want to trust people, but it is getting increasingly difficult. I have had an issue with two lately - my B. albopilosum and my P. imperator - both being sold as confirmed females and both ending up males. The scorpion isn't such a big deal, because their lifespans are pretty much the same (plus, I have heard that males are often more docile), but the tarantulas are a big deal. I want to believe that it was a mistake, but it is getting more and more difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt.
I can understand that. I guess for me I don't buy from just some guy with a booth at a show. Most of the tables we have at the shows I go to are by someone who sales Ts as a business. They rarely list something as female unless it is sure and they sell them for what they are worth. They have too much riding on their reputation to throw it down the toilet for a few quick bucks. If it gets out that vendor X has sold a lot of mis-sexed Ts and not made good on them then they will lose a lot more than the gain. I feel in this case it's a mistake and usually, they make it right.

Now if you're buying Ts from an individual who bought space at an event and he has tons of 'females' and they are dirt cheap compared to what a female normally is. Well, you have to use the whole "Buyer beware" approach. If they don't seem honest. They don't provide contact info (most have cards with info here). Then I know the risk I'm taking if I buy and so should everyone else. They don't have to worry about their reputation. No one knows who they are.

I see it a lot of FB where someone ends up with a male and they call out the guy they got it from. He says he only had it a few months and it was sold to him by another guy (Who is then called out) as a female. Until it gets back to a guy who sexed it wrong. Usually, he makes good cause you don't want someone to call you out in every post after that when you go to sell anything else. Often these people do just what was done here. They sell it for what it was sold to them as.

That's why if I sell any in the future I'll only sell it as sexed if I see it with my own eyes and know it is what I am selling it as.

cold blood

Staff member
I would absolutely contact the seller. Make no mistake, that is fraud - it was sold to you as something, and it turned out to be something else.

Would you settle for a ruby when you paid for a diamond?
How big is the ruby?:meh:

Makes me think of this homer line when asked if he'd prefer total contentment, or beer.

Could catch some tuna with those :D
There are only a few fish in the Ocean I really really want to catch...tuna is certainly one of them...along with mahi mahi, goliath grouper and sharks.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Now, I'm not one for fishing but..

..There's a show I saw once on TV called 'Tuna Wars'.

It makes me want to get a big boat and some expensive equiptment then get out and bag some giants :cool:

cold blood

Staff member
Now, I'm not one for fishing but..

..There's a show I saw once on TV called 'Tuna Wars'.

It makes me want to get a big boat and some expensive equiptment then get out and bag some giants :cool:
Its actually called "wicked tuna";)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Im just sad. I am really attached to him and i thought he would be with me for years. He was so cute: 20160721_235605.jpg

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's not a great feeling when tarantulas you purchased as sexed females molt into mature males...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not always quite that easy. In about 2 dozen genera the males don't have tibial spurs.
True, but bulbous pedipalps are pretty hard to miss, even if you have no idea what you're looking at.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
We've seen people miss them often enough
Which I think is hilarious - tibial hooks are way easier to miss than the pedipalps in my opinion. The pedipalps almost look diseased on a mature male.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
With a Goddess that wouldn't happened, you can't go wrong because those rear sexy legs never betrayed someone :troll:
:-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not always quite that easy. In about 2 dozen genera the males don't have tibial spurs.
Hey @Poec54 , when you get a chance, would you delete the messages in your inbox please. Not sure if you read the instructions I provided earlier in response to your comment about not having figured out the new inbox system. I've put instructions below hoping it helps you.

1. Put your cursor over the word Inbox, located at the top right of your screen (assuming you're on a PC)
2. A drop down box will appear
3. Select "Show All Conversations">> each PM is now called a conversation
3. You should see a list of all your PMs/Conversations on the left of screen.
4. Using left mouse button, click on the small, white square box that is next to EACH PM/conversation that you want to remove
5. A black check mark will appear in the white box
6. When you click on a white box, a new floating window will appear
7. In that floating window, select "Leave Conversations"
8. Then another floating box should appear in the center of your screen, with 2 "radio" buttons, the selection "Accept future Messages" will be selected by default, notated by a dark circle/dot w/in the larger white circle
9. In this floating window, select "Leave Conversations"
10. The selected messages are removed from your inbox.

I put 3 screen shots for you as well, they are in sequence (top left, then top right, then bottom image is last) of what you should see if you follow the above instructions-- minus steps 1-3.
convo 1.JPG convo 1.JPG convo 2.JPG convo 3.JPG

If you have questions let me know here, and I'll reply.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I had to lie down after reading your instructions. Good lord, what happened to 'delete' buttons? Too simple & straightforward? I took copious notes and cleaned out some old conversations (we're too hip to call them 'messages' anymore?). I feel like I should be using one of those old wall phones that you had to crank the handle on the side before you could talk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had to lie down after reading your instructions. Good lord, what happened to 'delete' buttons? Too simple & straightforward? I took copious notes and cleaned out some old conversations (we're too hip to call them 'messages' anymore?). I feel like I should be using one of those old wall phones that you had to crank the handle on the side before you could talk.
Trust me I know. Not only that, but the nice status bar we had in the old forum's inbox is GONE. Now, you won't know your box is full UNTIL someone nags you about it.

Also, while I forget how many conversations one can have, if you start a conversation with someone, and let's say you and that person go back and forth within that same conversation, all of those replies count towards your inbox total!