Badumna insignis
IMG_7232.JPG

Latrodectus hasselti
IMG_8704.JPG

Lycosidae
IMG_8705.JPG IMG_7344.JPG IMG_8514.JPG

image.jpg image.jpg

Absolutely No Idea
is just over 1cm from front leg to back leg in that position (yes, i have no idea how to measure a spider hehe be gentle )
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

plantecarnivore

Arachnosquire
Who sold you that as Piloctenus haematostoma? I'm pretty sure it's Phoneutria boliviensis.
I bought them to André Leetz; they're stadium 4/5 he said.
I was thinking the reddish fangs were specific to P. haematostoma, aren't they?

Toff202

Arachnoknight
I bought them to André Leetz; they're stadium 4/5 he said.
I was thinking the reddish fangs were specific to P. haematostoma, aren't they?
No, not every Ctenid with red chelicerae is P. haematostoma... Did he sell you them as P. haematostoma?

It's definitely Phoneutria, I think P. boliviensis "Iquitos".

plantecarnivore

Arachnosquire
No, not every Ctenid with red chelicerae is P. haematostoma... Did he sell you them as P. haematostoma?

It's definitely Phoneutria, I think P. boliviensis "Iquitos".
Yes, I bought them as Piloctenus cf haematostoma.
Hem, that's quite a problem if you're right; on which criters are you basing to say that's Phoneutria ?
That's surprising, André has always been really aware of what he breeds, and as Phoneutria is forbidden in France without some special autorisations, I'm dubitative he sent me Phoneutria instead of Piloctenus; I sent him a message anyway.

If you're right, before I send them back, is there any precaution I've to take? (except "don't get bitten" of course : ) )

EDIT: I just saw a message here : http://arachnoboards.com/threads/phoneutria-sp-peru-iquitos.77637/page-2 Saying that their venom isn't as dangerous as P.nigriventer's one; do you confirm? )

Last edited:

Toff202

Arachnoknight
Yes, I bought them as Piloctenus cf haematostoma.
Hem, that's quite a problem if you're right; on which criters are you basing to say that's Phoneutria ?
That's surprising, André has always been really aware of what he breeds, and as Phoneutria is forbidden in France without some special autorisations, I'm dubitative he sent me Phoneutria instead of Piloctenus; I sent him a message anyway.

If you're right, before I send them back, is there any precaution I've to take? (except "don't get bitten" of course : ) )

EDIT: I just saw a message here : http://arachnoboards.com/threads/phoneutria-sp-peru-iquitos.77637/page-2 Saying that their venom isn't as dangerous as P.nigriventer's one; do you confirm? )
I'm also quite shocked that he sold you this as Piloctenus, I saw a Facebook post of him earlier labeling this species as Phoneutria sp. "Iquitos, Peru".

The abdominal pattern, pattern close to the eyes (white to yellow stripes) and lines on the pedipalps match with P. boliviensis. The abdominal pattern is completely different than that of Piloctenus, and Piloctenus also lacks the lines on the pedipalps. The chelicerae of Piloctenus are also not completely red.

Keep them like you would Piloctenus, just don't put your fingers in the enclosure and use your common sense, which I assume you already do. You're right, their venom is a lot less dangerous than that of nigriventer, fera and keyserlingi for example.

Last edited:

plantecarnivore

Arachnosquire
Keep them like you would Piloctenus, just don't put your fingers in the enclosure and use your common sense, which I assume you already do. You're right, their venom is a lot less dangerous than that of nigriventer, fera and keyserlingi for example.
Well, thank you anyway; I prefer be aware of what I keep in my enclosures! : )

Dracaena

Arachnopeon
This is a species I kept for a little while just to photograph their courtship. After the juveniles hatched I released them.
Species: Saitis barbipes, 5mm

Lakerbat

Arachnopeon
This is my Tigrosa grandis, Jolene, with her newborns on her back. They have since turned brown (which is interesting). I have a couple of questions and I am not sure where to post ... so if you can point me to the correct info that would be fantastic. This is her second brood, and I want to do things "right" this time ... because last time they all ate each other!
Jolene2ndbroodnewborns.jpg
1) Should I try to feed Jolene while she has her babies on her back? (Or will she see that as a threat and freak out?)
2) When and how do I separate the babies into individual containers and start giving them tiny food like pinhead crickets?
Fluffy.jpg
3) My only sling left from the previous bunch is "Fluffy," named by my fifth-grade boys (Jolene is a classroom pet) and he is too small to eat crickets, but I don't know what to feed him/her. I put a couple of ants from the counter into his/her box the other day, but I can not find either the ants or Fluffy! I have not looked very hard. Are ants ok to feed him? (Let's call him a boy for now). He is about 4th instar, or 2 months old. You can see in the picture how big he is compared to the cricket.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have not kept wolf spiders before, but based on my general knowledge of them:

1) Should I try to feed Jolene while she has her babies on her back? (Or will she see that as a threat and freak out?)
I wouldn't.

2) When and how do I separate the babies into individual containers and start giving them tiny food like pinhead crickets?
They will ride on their mother's back for a few days until they molt. When they stop riding, it's time to separate them.

If they are native to your area, I would just keep a few and release the rest. (Otherwise, that's a lot of slings.)

3) My only sling left from the previous bunch is "Fluffy," named by my fifth-grade boys (Jolene is a classroom pet) and he is too small to eat crickets, but I don't know what to feed him/her. I put a couple of ants from the counter into his/her box the other day, but I can not find either the ants or Fluffy! I have not looked very hard. Are ants ok to feed him?
I would not feed ants to spiders, as they can bite and/or sting. Ants also contain formic acid, a substance that makes them unpalatable to many predators.

You could try smaller prey, such as baby mealworns (crush the head) or pinhead crickets. If you don't have anything that small, it may take pre-killed prey or parts of prey, such as a cricket drumstick.