Phoneutria sp. "Peru, Iquitos"

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No they arent.. not as potent as those species. But I belive she still could kill me.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No they arent.. not as potent as those species. But I belive she still could kill me.
Hi Niklas,

sorry, chemical analyses proof you´re plain wrong with this assumption.

The PhTx1 fraction within the whole Phoneutria toxin is the fraction which is extremely dangerous for primates. It´s most pronounced in the toxin of P. nigriventer and only found in lesser degrees in the toxins of the other Phoneutria spec.´s as far as science knows today.

For P. boliviensis the PhTx1 fraction is just so weak, they can´t even endanger a very small child with it´s bite.

Painfull as hell, of course. Life threatening? No way.

This makes P. boliviensis the perhaps best "pet Phoneutria", if one likes to think in this terms.

Greetings,

Stefan

P.S. Check the work of Marta do Nascimento Cordeiro for reference.

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are more then PhTx1 that are active in nigriventer venom (PhTx2, PhTx3 etc), are you saying that boliviensis lack the other ones? That might explain a less potent venom, still Im not sure I would call them a pet spider.

Excellent paper on Ph. nigriventer venom:

Phoneutria nigriventer Venom: A Cocktail of Toxins
That Affect Ion Channels
Marcus V. Gomez, Evanguedes Kalapothakis, Cristina Guatimosim, and
Marco A. M. Prado

Last edited:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are more then PhTx1 that are active in nigriventer venom (PhTx2, PhTx3 etc), are you saying that boliviensis lack the other ones? That might explain a less potent venom, still Im not sure I would call them a pet spider.

Excellent paper on Ph. nigriventer venom:

Phoneutria nigriventer Venom: A Cocktail of Toxins
That Affect Ion Channels
Marcus V. Gomez, Evanguedes Kalapothakis, Cristina Guatimosim, and
Marco A. M. Prado
Hi Lelle,

of course not.

The other PhTx fractions are even stronger pronounced in the whole toxin, than it´s given with P. nigriventer. One just has to know their specific field of targets.

Try to find just one single, toxin-related (not allergic!), case where a P. boliviensis bite caused death. To the experience of several scientists, from G. Schmidt on, P. boliviensis is not even able to put a small child into a life-threatening condition.

Greetings,

Stefan

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Lelle,

of course not.

The other PhTx fractions are even stronger pronounced in the whole toxin, than it´s given with P. nigriventer. One just has to know their specific field of targets.

Try to find just one single, toxin-related (not allergic!), case where a P. boliviensis bite caused death. To the experience of several scientists, from G. Schmidt on, P. boliviensis is not even able to put a small child into a life-threatening condition.

Greetings,

Stefan
Good news for those who wanna keep Ph. but not nigriventer or fera then.
However, I wouldnt take any chances thats for sure.
I read a abstract about it that the venom are more effective on insects then humans. Hopefully the article turns up in my inbox later on.
The lack of human fatalities doesnt prove much - for example the inland taipan have zero fatal bites but its venom are among the most potent there is. But I know what you mean.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
These pictures really make we want to order some Phoneutria, I just wish they lived longer though.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would think if it wasn't as dangerous as nigriventer or fera, seemingly it would lose some of its appeal!!! it would be like getting a less venomous LQ, it then becomes just another yellow scorp lol!!!just trying to lighten it up...beautiful animal either way....though personally i prefer the nigriventer or fera !!!

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i would think if it wasn't as dangerous as nigriventer or fera, seemingly it would lose some of its appeal!!! it would be like getting a less venomous LQ, it then becomes just another yellow scorp lol!!!just trying to lighten it up...beautiful animal either way....though personally i prefer the nigriventer or fera !!!
You clearly are wrong person to keep one.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You clearly are wrong person to keep one.
isn't that kinda immature to say???:? i don't think lightening things up disqualifies anyone from owning one..that's just ridiculous.:wall:
..there are to many individuals thinking they are some type of expert because they care for hot species and that this in some way qualifies them to pass judgement on who can own something like this??? get real mate...
.people collect animals based on looks, temperament, species, rarity, and even reputation. some want a display animal, while others what to help in conservation and a few do it for the money.....whatever anyone's motives are, just let it be and let the person thinking about getting one decide if they should own it or not....so don't make assumptions, all it does is make an ass out of u and mption...;P

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No Lelle is right, you shouldnt keep these.

i would think if it wasn't as dangerous as nigriventer or fera, seemingly it would lose some of its appeal!!!
That on the other hand is very immature to say...

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No Lelle is right, you shouldnt keep these.

That on the other hand is very immature to say...
did you read the lol, it was said like a pun dugh, a play on words!!! like it would lose its appeal:wall: how old are you guys?????....you guys are way to serious get off the soap boxes

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
isn't that kinda immature to say???:? i don't think lightening things up disqualifies anyone from owning one..that's just ridiculous.:wall:
..there are to many individuals thinking they are some type of expert because they care for hot species and that this in some way qualifies them to pass judgement on who can own something like this??? get real mate...
.people collect animals based on looks, temperament, species, rarity, and even reputation. some want a display animal, while others what to help in conservation and a few do it for the money.....whatever anyone's motives are, just let it be and let the person thinking about getting one decide if they should own it or not....so don't make assumptions, all it does is make an ass out of u and mption...;P
To keep a animal only because its venomous is never a good idea.
It seems on your reply that I was right in my assumption of you, and I would never sell to someone that wants something "hot".
I agree that venom are fascinating, but its not the ONLY reason why I choose to keep a certain animal. It has nothing to do with "expert" - only to do with common sence and when people start talking about "if its aint hot I dont want it" then my alarm bells go off big time.
Unfortunatly Phoneutria seems to attract a few of these keepers. I only hope dealers/sellers dont sell to just anyone that have cash.
BTW, If it was a joke it failed.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To keep a animal only because its venomous is never a good idea.
It seems on your reply that I was right in my assumption of you, and I would never sell to someone that wants something "hot".
I agree that venom are fascinating, but its not the ONLY reason why I choose to keep a certain animal. It has nothing to do with "expert" - only to do with common sence and when people start talking about "if its aint hot I dont want it" then my alarm bells go off big time.
Unfortunatly Phoneutria seems to attract a few of these keepers. I only hope dealers/sellers dont sell to just anyone that have cash.
BTW, If it was a joke it failed.
look before this gets to involved, yes not everyone should have a hot species just because it hot!!! i know that!!!! i breed and raise LQ's and several species of androctonus...and i dont sell to everyone that asks..but nowhere did one say "if its aint hot I dont want it"?????:? dont read between the lines??? or put words in someones mouth....the point is that it didnt have the same star quality as the the fera and nigriventer but that didnt mean it wasnt any less beautiful

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
look before this gets to involved, yes not everyone should have a hot species just because it hot!!! i know that!!!! i breed and raise LQ's and several species of androctonus...and i dont sell to everyone that asks..but nowhere did one say "if its aint hot I dont want it"?????:? dont read between the lines??? or put words in someones mouth....the point is that it didnt have the same star quality as the the fera and nigriventer but that didnt mean it wasnt any less beautiful
Ok. No problem.