User Arachnid Addicted's Tarantula Pictures

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So, I received good criticism in the comments of yesterday's D. mottai picture.

Since I like to talk about photograph, I decided to make this thread to show you guys the difference between pics taken with and without speedlight.

In this case, I'll post both D. mottai pics I used in the media gallery, just to be easy to compare.

With Speedlight:
1599671952997__MG_6835.JPG

In case you want to read the comments and check the EXIF infos, here's the link:

Without Speedlight:
1599671947104__MG_6841.JPG

Here's the link to EXIF infos, for comparison:

I honestly don't see too much of a difference. Maybe if I improve my diffuser, I can reach results closer to natural, however, I know there will always have some differences between them.

What you guys thoughts on this?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
So, I received good criticism in the comments of yesterday's D. mottai picture.

Since I like to talk about photograph, I decided to make this thread to show you guys the difference between pics taken with and without speedlight.

In this case, I'll post both D. mottai pics I used in the media gallery, just to be easy to compare.

With Speedlight:
View attachment 359377

In case you want to read the comments and check the EXIF infos, here's the link:

Without Speedlight:
View attachment 359378

Here's the link to EXIF infos, for comparison:

I honestly don't see too much of a difference. Maybe if I improve my diffuser, I can reach results closer to natural, however, I know there will always have some differences between them.

What you guys thoughts on this?
To my untrained eye, the red pops more on the photo without the speedlight.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I would have to agree.
Normally I appreciate photos with natural lighting better because the specimen looks closer to what it is in real life, but that isn't always practical and I don't think the speedlight is affecting the photos to such a great degree as to misrepresent the specimen in question. I will say there's been a few times you've made drab looking species look great though, which I blame on the flash ;) (we've all done that however, ha ha, and sometimes species can only be truly appreciated in bright lighting).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I honestly like without the speed light more. No offense but the natural light looks really nice.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
@Frogdaddy @Arthroverts @MrGhostMantis

Thanks for all of your inputs.

I'll try to make some improvements on my diffuser, in the future. :)
Bro, ALL of your pics are stunning. If I never saw a photo with speedlight vs without they would still be stunning. Shoot photos with and without. You're not misrepresenting the specimen ever. Some subjects, like T's and dart frogs have to be captured "just right". Maybe it's not an issue of with or without a light, just that the light hits the subject "just right". I'm not a photographer by any means but your photos inspire me to try it. Keep up the good work.

bellesova

Arachnopeon
Your photography is phenomenal, and does such a wonderful job of capturing the beauty of such a diverse range of spiders! Are you professional? Apologies if that was discussed earlier in the thread, I haven't had time to check each page yet.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Bro, ALL of your pics are stunning. If I never saw a photo with speedlight vs without they would still be stunning. Shoot photos with and without. You're not misrepresenting the specimen ever. Some subjects, like T's and dart frogs have to be captured "just right". Maybe it's not an issue of with or without a light, just that the light hits the subject "just right". I'm not a photographer by any means but your photos inspire me to try it. Keep up the good work.
Thanks a lot, man. Really appreciated it.

Your photography is phenomenal, and does such a wonderful job of capturing the beauty of such a diverse range of spiders! Are you professional? Apologies if that was discussed earlier in the thread, I haven't had time to check each page yet.
No, I'm not a pro, far away from being one. Haha. I'm always trying to improve, though.
Thanks a lot. :)

Guyruiya cerrado
_MG_6861.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: