Appropriate grow light?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
That light will work.

I use "shop lights" for my plant growing bins and they do just fine but are probably too bright for a tarantula

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Is that not a UK thing? It's short for workshop.
A shop is where you go to purchase goods etc.

A workshop is where industrial/ car repairs are carried out
So when I tell the wife " I'm going shopping" she assumes I'm going to the workshop - Don't think so.

I always thought Arabic was a lazy language where they use one word for 3 or 4 things.

Dayners666

Arachnosquire

So when I tell the wife " I'm going shopping" she assumes I'm going to the workshop - Don't think so.

I always thought Arabic was a lazy language where they use one word for 3 or 4 things.
Right. But when you say shop lights that automatically translates to industrial lights that you would use in a workshop. You can't just use shop lights so loosely to refer to lights you would get at a store because that is way too vague

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
Your tank looks great! I have a similar light for my fish tank, which has live plants as well.
A little vague there. I've seen everything from twinkle light strings to a 16 million candle power xenon (tested, experimental, rather dangerous) used as s shop light.

Is that not a UK thing? It's short for workshop.
That light will work.

I use "shop lights" for my plant growing bins and they do just fine but are probably too bright for a tarantula
Well, regardless, this is the finished product and I changed out the grow light

Attachments

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I have to add that "shop lights" is indeed incredibly vague. I understand it means "lights used in a workshop" but I've used almost every kind of light in a workshop. Clamp lights with fluorescent bulbs, LED bars, those long T5/T8 tubing fixtures...

On topic: nice light. I like the color tone. You planning on adding any other plants, or maybe some microfauna soon?

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Sunblaster LEDs have never failed me for aquarium and terrarium needs.

I have a planted tank, a terrarium with pothos, and live moss containers under these same lights. The only thing I don't grow with them are corals.

These lights are really powerful though, and my invert tanks where I use them have plenty of pothos and big leaf litter to hide under.

Anyhow, your lights look good! I'm a sucker for LED straps.

Last edited:

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
I have to add that "shop lights" is indeed incredibly vague. I understand it means "lights used in a workshop" but I've used almost every kind of light in a workshop. Clamp lights with fluorescent bulbs, LED bars, those long T5/T8 tubing fixtures...

On topic: nice light. I like the color tone. You planning on adding any other plants, or maybe some microfauna soon?
I added springtails. I will not add isopods though justvto err on the side of caution

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Nice tank!

Just to mention, LEDs are incredibly versatile and there are zillions of controller circuits and gadgets out there. And BTW, you don't need to marry one particular type of LED. Mix and match as you see fit. It's also quite easy to make your own spectrometer to determine what wavelength light is being produced.
And then the fun begins. Controllers. From ultra simple running directly off household mains voltage way out into the bizarre using programmable computer controls - all available ready made or do it yourself home brew using a Raspberry Pi.

Many moons ago I cobbed together a weird for a couple of friends living in a basement. I took the simple cascade light strip, one LED follows the next, made some multiples of the circuit, tossed in a fist full of capacitors and they had dawn in their cave. Light slowly growing from pre dawn on out to full daylight over the period of about an hour. This is a very easy lighting system to make simply using the LED current controlled conductivity. Later they had me cob an additional circuit that slowly turned on twinkle light banks emulating a starry night. I got lazy in the time control department and just used a light sensor on the driveway to keep up with the day - night cycles.

Last edited:

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
Nice tank!

Just to mention, LEDs are incredibly versatile and there are zillions of controller circuits and gadgets out there. And BTW, you don't need to marry one particular type of LED. Mix and match as you see fit. It's also quite east to make your own spectrometer to determine what wavelength light is being produced.
And then the fun begins. Controllers. From ultra simple running directly off household mains voltage way out into the bizarre using programmable computer controls - all available ready made or do it yourself home brew using a Raspberry Pi.

Many moons ago I cobbed together a weird for a couple of friends living in a basement. I took the simple cascade light strip, one LED follows the next, made some multiples of the circuit, tossed in a fist full of capacitors and they had dawn in their cave. Light slowly growing from pre dawn on out to full daylight over the period of about an hour. This is a very easy lighting system to make simply using the LED current controlled conductivity. Later they had me cob an additional circuit that slowly turned on twinkle light banks emulating a starry night. I got lazy in the time control department and just used a light sensor on the driveway to keep up with the day - night cycles.
Thank you

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Teknickle noise. LEDs are current comtrolled devices. That is it needs a certain amount of juice to turn on. Enter RC. A resistor and a capacitor. The resistor limits the amount of current going through it. A capacitor acts like a battery that slowly or quickly charges up. So turn on the juice and once the capacitor gets it's fill an LED turns on. Instant time delay. The time can be anything from a millisecond on out to many hours. Then a simple cascade circuit is added with another capacitor in series -> LED. It gets turned on and so forth. The possibilities are limitless and dirt cheap. LED turning the previous one off or latching, keeping them both on. You can add another few dozen LEDs to the string and drive your cats crazy chasing the LED that is presently lit....... Until your partner comes up and smacks you upside the head and points at the appliance you are supposed to be repairing.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If using "shop lights" just go by their Kelvin and lumens. They won't have the nm ratings. I use "shop lights" as well. Usually In a 3:1 6500k : 3000k ratio for plants. Now these types of flourescent tubes are pretty quickly going by the wayside, most are LED now.

I like T5 for space.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
If you ever need more light, the Sansi grow lights are well spoken of in reptile lighting groups (in addition to the ubiquitous Arcadia Jungle Dawn).