Anything scary in here?

Bread

Arachnopeon
Never underestimate an old world fossorial tarantulas abilty to come fliying out of it burrow and tag you. Even new world tarantulas can react faster than you can move your hand, the difference is that when you start with NW's you sorta learn the do's and don'ts of tarantulas with a less toxic specie, and if a mistake is made the consequences arnt as severe. When you start with the OW's you will be learning about the taranulas from scratch, and if a bite happens the pain is going to be severe if they're adult specimens.

Learn to fill water bowls with straws and syringes, when removing water bowls to clean use tongs, remove bolus with tongs. Basically do everything with tongs or tools, except feeding.

I myself have a bad habit of feeding with tongs and wouldnt suggest it. More than once ive had to stand there holding on to the tongs while a tarantula(who had already started up the tongs)decided weather or not it was food. Just toss the roach or feeder in. My advice also is to stick to prey that cant harm your tarantula, that means no mealworms or superworms. That will save you from have to dig apart an enclosure looking for that escaped mealworm.
I already have a large syringe i use as my a.geniculata and GBB go nuts when i fill there bowls, and they pounce on whatever is near (must be the vibration?) and have some tongs for the same reason, the brachys don't seem interested.
As for tong feeding, I do it with with avic avic, if i dont she just wont bother, if i tong feed she takes it fine.

The other guy has told me I can get the KBT+OBT whenever i want if I'm feeling brave :)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Also, no tarantula is really lethal unless you are allergic to the venom.
This is actually a myth, since there has never been a reported death from tarantula venom there really isn't anything to support that info IMO. The only deaths from tarantula bites on record have come from secondary infections if memory serves

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
The other guy has told me I can get the KBT+OBT whenever i want if I'm feeling brave :)

Honestly I don't find either of these spiders to be all that bad, sure obt is kinda fast, but they are more prone to threat pose and stand their ground. Making them easy to work with and I've found my P muticus to be a very slow and deliberate t. Since both can be heavy burrowers/Webber's you'll probably never come in contact in the open.

I'd be more concerned about he pokies, sure they are less aggressive , but their venom is nothing to play with and they can be very unpredictable, and that, IMO is what defines a species difficulty.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
As far as no T being lethal, I would imagine that with the severe muscle spasms I've read about from OW species, an I'll placed bite seems like it could very easily be lethal. I imagine a highly venomous OW tagging someone on the chest, or base of the neck would be hard to turn around. I could easily see that being a fatal bite due to tissue damage, swelling, and the muscle spasms in the heart/throat. Not to mention the mechanical damage. An inch long fang hitting the neck right and you're done.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Honestly I don't find either of these spiders to be all that bad, sure obt is kinda fast, but they are more prone to threat pose and stand their ground. Making them easy to work with and I've found my P muticus to be a very slow and deliberate t. Since both can be heavy burrowers/Webber's you'll probably never come in contact in the open.

I'd be more concerned about he pokies, sure they are less aggressive , but their venom is nothing to play with and they can be very unpredictable, and that, IMO is what defines a species difficulty.
Never had any prblems with my OBT, they are pretty chill (for me) as long as they have a nice hide they have webbed up. I seem to find they are way more reclusive than pokies and more inclined go just go into threat pose like Haksilence said. Not claiming to know much, but that is what I see. And they are one of the most beautiful T's in the hobby, so that doesn't hurt. ;)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
As far as no T being lethal, I would imagine that with the severe muscle spasms I've read about from OW species, an I'll placed bite seems like it could very easily be lethal. I imagine a highly venomous OW tagging someone on the chest, or base of the neck would be hard to turn around. I could easily see that being a fatal bite due to tissue damage, swelling, and the muscle spasms in the heart/throat. Not to mention the mechanical damage. An inch long fang hitting the neck right and you're done.

I was speaking on the subject of an allergic reaction. And absolutely a fatality is possible from certain hots. The swelling alone on a neck bite would certainly make it hard to breathe. I was just saying it's never happened

Bread

Arachnopeon
I probably should add in. When we say something is 'lethal' here in yorkshire it means its not very nice, not the dictionary meaning. But i do love a good educational thread :)