Anybody guilty of a death?...

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I lost a female A genic due to feeding it a bad cricket, it got dyskinetic syndrome and started jerking and moving wildly, never forgave myself.:(

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Years ago I lost 2 tarantulas (they were called "female brown stripeknee" later I found out they were probably A.seemanni). One had a broken leg (that I didnt know about when I got it)-- I was handling it, nothing rough, but the leg totally broke, and I had no superglue on hand. I couldn't save it from dying from fluid loss. When I looked at the body, I saw that it was also missing a pedipalp on the same side that had the broken leg. Probably damage from being WC for the petstore.

The other I lost, because it was in pre-moult and it wanted to sit over it's water dish, unfortunately this was when petstores said to use cotton balls in the dish, not just open water. Well the spider drowned because it had sat on the wet cotton balls, and the water had "wicked" itself up into the booklungs and suffocated it! :eek: :mad:

I had managed to save it once by wiping the booklungs dry with a paper towel, and fanning the tarantula's underside untill the legs began to move again, but a few days later I come home from school and it's too late, she's totally waterlogged. :wall:

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*sigh*

I'm pretty careful with my T's but i have lost a few to dehydration because i am more worried about mold for some reason. My latest was my 5" blondi... i was in the hospital for a week recently and i couldn't get anyone to take care of my tarantulas. The blondi molted while i was in the hospital and the water dish dried up, i was/am very upset.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hm, i never killed a t in my collection due to neglect or handling. but then, i only have about 50-60 at a time.

the only stupid death i ever had was my e. murinus - she fell while hunting, only about 3 inches... but she landed on a piece of wood and split her abdomen, nothing i could do about it :wall:. since then, i am paranoid about using sticks and ahrd pieces of wood or stone in my tanks, i mostly stick to cork bark.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Only the honest ones..! {D

Living in sunny South Africa, I figured my collection was well set up, and delayed the heating process at the onset of our Winter. Seven of my smaller Ts died in two weeks. Coincidence? :embarrassed:

Spent this weekend (and my budget!) fixing the heating system, and now we have the Bahamas in Africa! {D

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Good ol dehydration here but I once saw one run into a food blender..

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer

Yes. I am guilty of tossing a P.murinus spiderling and film pot out of a moving car window yesterday because the person who was trying to dump it on me would not take it back in his hand.
Saying that though I don't think I killed it and rather another car driver did the cruel sod (whoever it was). People really should take more care when they drive!
:rolleyes:
Chris

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lots

dehydration is my leading cause

i did starve some to death when i was doing experiments.

i starved some more to death when i forgot to increase feeding frequency after winter mode (when i don't have to feed for months at a time).

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Uh, yeah. I got a red trapdoor spider and didnt research it first......

We put sand in its cage so it couldnt burrow.....I think it died from stress.

I felt like the biggest retard ever. Needless to say, now I make sure I know what kind of animal I am bringing home and how to care for it....

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had it in my room and my room can get real hot...It was my first C. fimbriatus and I cooked it...:(

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ugh.
This past winter was hell. Between going to school 4 nights a week on top of working 50-60 hours a week, AND trying to keep up on the heating (Pellets and wood), I lost a bunch. I had a horrible time getting the water cycle down after I corrected the wood stove chimney issues from the previous (much colder) winter.

This summer's project - Bug Room.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ugh.
This past winter was hell. Between going to school 4 nights a week on top of working 50-60 hours a week, AND trying to keep up on the heating (Pellets and wood), I lost a bunch. I had a horrible time getting the water cycle down after I corrected the wood stove chimney issues from the previous (much colder) winter.

This summer's project - Bug Room.
my brother lived in RI last winter and he had to build a special plastic case to heat his bugs in. the house was essentially impossible to heat well enough (old ~3 story type). winter was cruel to him, too.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, I'm a regular mass murderer.

First there was Satan, my first H. lividum sling. I kept him too dry and he died shortly after rehousing.

Then my first A. avic sling, Trickster wasted away and died. His housing really wasn't ideal. I saw it coming because he stopped eating and didn't molt, but it was still sad.

The one I feel the most guilty for is Ginger, my late OBT sling. I spooked her and s/he took off. S/he hid in a crack in the baseboard for a while and I think I accidentally squashed her when I was trying to recapture her.

Finally, my second-chance-to-raise-a-pinktoe sling kicked off last week. I'm taking it as a sign and giving up on Avicularia species. I didn't even give it a name before it went, so it's just Cadaver now.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Quote: Finally, my second-chance-to-raise-a-pinktoe sling kicked off last week. I'm taking it as a sign and giving up on Avicularia species. I didn't even give it a name before it went, so it's just Cadaver now.

Nooooo! .......... Not the new A. avic! Sorry to hear of your loss.

Only deaths so far (knock on wood) are crickets and any other feeders. I seem to have a hard time keeping feeders alive long enough to actually be fed.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've lost 1 albopilosum and 1 vagans to what I suppose is dehydration/overheating...they molted and then never recovered. I also have one little vagans running around the house somewhere that at this point I've given up for lost...at 3 days he/she has set the record for longest time escaped so far.

I will really need to get more practice with keeping slings before I feel confident trying a few new species.

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
well this one time , this guy pulled a knife on me while i as i finished cleaning my .45 colt...wait...you meant Tarantula deaths???
sorry
I MAY have, i had an aduly male A. anax who literally walked himsepf to death looking for a mate. does that count?
OMG you had me rolling on the floor laughing my ass off with that one!!

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A full grown female A.seemanni jumped off my shoulder and exploded upon impacting the hardwood floor when I was 13. Don't even ask what she was doing there (very skittish)!

More recently, I lost a few spiderlings (ironically also seemanni) due to a few dropped containers and an incident with a lid.

All my other t's are well kept. I even get a tarantula sitter when I am off on vacation for more than 4 days. Believe it or not they're quite hard to come by!