Anybody guilty of a death?...

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This sounds like it is a common problem. i was just curious what is considered a "large" collection. i have 41 which is nothing compared to many here but definitely the most i have ever had. i check on my T's practically twice a day or more mostly because i just can't stop myself... LOL. i also keep a record of all feedings, molts, maintence on each T. i do a thorough checking, mist slings & anything else that is needed every Mon, Wed & Fri. Is this sufficient? i truly want to avoid something that i can possibly prevent. Thanks.
It happens.

I don't know how many I currently have - including slings well over 150 or so. I've been watering before and think, "That one looks OK for now" and forget to check back in a day or so.

Becca

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha!! I got one for you all.

Got up 1 morning, got dressed, put my boot on and felt something squish. Took my boot off only to find that 1 of my M robustums had escaped!! :rolleyes:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well lets see...

1. I've crushed S'lings with the camera lens trying to get that upclose pic.

Ahhh I can see it now !

*buys $400 p. metallica*
boy i cant wait to get a sweet macro of this for the guys on AB, there gonna be so damn jealous
*zoom*
*zooom*
*zooooom*
*squish *

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
*knock on wood* I've not lost one to my own carelessness, yet. But it'll happen at some point, I'm sure.

But recently I did have an A. versicolor and A. purpurea to croak on me after a year of having them with no problems whatsoever. :rolleyes:

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
I kept a h. gigas sling of too dry subtrate and it died of dehydration. That really made me a much more responsible keeper, i now check on every spider every day especially the little ones.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I recently lost all but 9 out of a good sized sac of elegans due to dehydration. Didn't realize they needed water in the eggs with legs stage.

The only other one I've lost for that same reason was a L. violaceopes. She was coming up on a molt and I didn't realize the new water dish I'd given her had a hole in the bottom. It was a big dish, we were in summer months, and I was leaving for the next three days. I thought she'd be fine. Nope.

Other than that, I've knocked some vials off the shelf and I had an escaping P. murinus that leapt off the table and onto my leg. My knee-jerk reaction was to swat it. I still feel badly about that one.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
like two days after I got my Holothele sp. sling I was dropping some water into the vial and it ran out and jump four feet to the floor.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i killed 2 :( many many years ago both were ordered thtough a pet shop my mom worked at one was called a black velvet no idea if it was i havent seen one since comming back to the hobby so if you cant get them now dont see how i got one close to 20 years ago it was solid black and mean as hell. kept it to dry is my guess it had a water dish but was dead in two weeks paid 150$which was cost for the shop . that was alot for a T back then and took me almost a year of waiting to get it. the other was a sling it got munched by a mealworm durring a molt

omni

Arachnobaron
3... I had only one T for years... within 3 days of expanding my collection, had two 1/4" slings escape through 1/8" holes in vial cap.:wall: Found their tiny little bodies a week later all curled up :8o I have since put a penny on top of each vial... Lost another tiny sling that'd survived a 4' fall one week earlier when I dropped it's 1oz cup. It looked fine, I checked it everyday. A few days later it molted and died.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha!! I got one for you all.

Got up 1 morning, got dressed, put my boot on and felt something squish. Took my boot off only to find that 1 of my M robustums had escaped!! :rolleyes:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Holy crap, I would have freaked. I am surpised you did not get tagged....... well I guess not, if you slid your foot in there fast it would just be like dropping something on it. Man that is an odd one.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
squishing T in boot

Yeah, that must have been a bad start to the day. I check all my containers before bed for loose lids, but an escape can happen anytime too. I would feel really bad if I stepped on one of my Ts, or squished one.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
guilty

Early in my joining the hobby, I held a seemani, and allowed her to walk off the edge of my hand, and fall. Splat, T soon died. Was completely my fault, and made me realize a fall was dangerous to any T I got next. No falls since then, Im much wiser.

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Like most i am guilty of being careless. Took a rosie out of its cage and let one of my friends hold it only to watch my girlfriend come around the corner and bump him and BAM there goes the rosie. After a four feet fall it split its abdomen open and died two days later. SAD SAD time had that rosie for along time it was my first and the best.:( :(

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Holy crap, I would have freaked. I am surpised you did not get tagged....... well I guess not, if you slid your foot in there fast it would just be like dropping something on it. Man that is an odd one.
I did freak. Spider guts squishing between your toes is an eery feeling LOL. Esp when its a 3.5 incher:8o