Any reason NOT to get a Grammostola pulchra?

Rue

Arachnoknight
Have you posted a picture of her? This is a busy forum...I might have missed it if you did.

I melted holes in my cubes, with the new soldering tool I bought...and I made a spare, just because I had bought one...

The larger water bowls are indeed too big...I'm just playing with humidity.

The bottle cap will have to do.

I hate the stupid Plantation Soil brick I bought. It's like a real brick, next to impossible to break bits off. I think I will use the organic sterilized Seedling Starter Mix (which I bought for the tomatoes I'm starting) instead. It's a mix of sedge and sphagnum peat, vermiculite and perlite...looks and smells good.

Attachments

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would read the label on the potting foil because it very well might have fertilizers and other harmful chemicals that would kill your slings.Most soil for vegetables or plants generally have the additives.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Nothing else on the label...I could contact them to make sure.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra, as posted only rarely have any issues with defensiveness. If you're going to get very small spiderlings, I suggest getting a 2-4, only to ensure you have a nice long lived female if one molts out as a mature male. Mature males are fine, just live less long. Trading mature males out is a great way to get more animals and make the hobby a little less costly. And it is such a popular species!

As for Anastasia's allergic reaction, it usually builds up over time, 15 years ago, I had NO issues, now I can not get near a Brachypelma smithi, but have few problems with other species. Some keepers get near a New World species, and itch for days, your mileage will vary. Since you're starting small, I wouldn't fret the allergy too much at this time.

Furthermore, this species has tons of fans and therefore informative posts, so you can read yourself silly!
+1 on that! my Rosea brings me up bad if I have to handle her.. and I don't see her kick hairs...

I believe it was my T.Blondi that made the reaction build up like this.

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think they're pretty awesome as well.

The only "bad" thing I've heard on them is that they're really slow growers.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
I would stay with the brick. Don't try to saw through it but lay it on its edge so you can see the layers and use a knife to pry a layer off. This has worked really well for me. And remember this stuff is really going to expand. It really is worth the effort and is a great substrate I use it alot.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks! I did get enough broken off for the 3 little cubes...and boy...this product is certainly good at water retention! Hope it dries up enough for when my babies arrive...a little too moist still...

I realize you don't have to clean cages out completely all that often...but still...unless you need the entire brick it's a bit of a pain to have to cut off bits...

I wish they'd make up a package with smaller cubes of it if it needs to be compressed like this for shipping/handling...

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only "bad" thing I've heard on them is that they're really slow growers.
This species requires much patience when raising slings!!!If your not patient kinda person its well worth paying extra to get a larger sized animal ;]
-Chris

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've read quite a bit this weekend, looked at all the T's recommomended to me...and surprisingly...am considering the G. pulchra as my 2nd choice.

I didn't think I'd go for an all-black spider when the colours on some of the Brachypelma are so enticing...but there you go! :D

I couldn't find anything negative written about them - but there doesn't seem to be very much on them in general...so I was just double checking if anyone knew of anything to watch out for...

Thanks eveyone!
-They grow slow
-Expensive Tarantula (some people can't afford an adult female)
-Only have one color
-Some are nervous
-They are very fragile when it comes to handling just a small fall can get them injured.
-have only 50-150 eggs per sac compare to other Ts.
-Molts every two years once they are adult so you can't really breed them every year.
-they live longer than your average pet, so if your on your 60s most likely this T will out live you because they can live up to 30 years.
- hard to see in the dark because they are black
- they don't use their house too often
- they don't eat mouse like other big terrestrial (if you have mouse problem in your house this guys will not be helpful)
- not for people who likes aggressive Ts because they are not aggressive

Rue

Arachnoknight
That's a good list. Thank you.

I don't think those are all that negative though...except for the fragility.

I'm getting a baby...no idea if it's male or female...hopefully we'll find out in due time.:D

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love mine! When I went to drop a cricket in last night, it jumped up and grabbed it before I had a chance to let go. I was dangling in the air by the cricket's head until I could stop laughing and set it down.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
That's a good list. Thank you.

I don't think those are all that negative though...except for the fragility.

I'm getting a baby...no idea if it's male or female...hopefully we'll find out in due time.:D
get at leat two slings, the chances for getting a female is greater when you buy more than one

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm getting two...of different species...and waffling on a third...of yet another species...:D

Rue

Arachnoknight
which species if you dont mind me asking
Not at all! For certain the L. violaceopes - I have one waiting to be shipped (soon as it warms up a wee bit more)...that's the species that started me looking (so pretty!)...and now I'm leaning strongly towards P. irminia...

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I love mine! When I went to drop a cricket in last night, it jumped up and grabbed it before I had a chance to let go. I was dangling in the air by the cricket's head until I could stop laughing and set it down.
...looking forward to 'playing' with my new pets too...

Hope they're not way faster than my snake at grabbing food from the tweezers...

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
They do sell discs of this substrate - about the size of a coaster and 0.5" thick. It is usually over by the hermit crab supplies in stores.

The bricks work well for me because I have quite the zoo crew at home.

Okay, gotta admit with all your expected arrivals and purchases, I am getting the "buying bug". How about Metriopelma sp. "Carabobo" or Xenesthis immanis?

Last edited:

Rue

Arachnoknight
They can be!
...I'm in for it! ;)

I have 'long-handled' tweezers on my shopping list already...I'll see what other 'just in case' gear I need...

ijmccollum said:
They do sell discs of this substrate - about the size of a coaster and 0.5" thick. It is usually over by the hermit crab supplies in stores.

Thanks. I had no idea. I'll go take a look next time. That would be so much more convenient for me at this point.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Not at all! For certain the L. violaceopes - I have one waiting to be shipped (soon as it warms up a wee bit more)...that's the species that started me looking (so pretty!)...and now I'm leaning strongly towards P. irminia...

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

...looking forward to 'playing' with my new pets too...

Hope they're not way faster than my snake at grabbing food from the tweezers...
i got a female L violaceopes, the most beautiful T i never see. I also picked up a .75in P. irminia today at my LPS. both are awsome