Any reason NOT to get a Grammostola pulchra?

Rue

Arachnoknight
I've read quite a bit this weekend, looked at all the T's recommomended to me...and surprisingly...am considering the G. pulchra as my 2nd choice.

I didn't think I'd go for an all-black spider when the colours on some of the Brachypelma are so enticing...but there you go! :D

I couldn't find anything negative written about them - but there doesn't seem to be very much on them in general...so I was just double checking if anyone knew of anything to watch out for...

Thanks eveyone!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too much awesome for you to handle ;)

Nope, no reason.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had G pulchra that was pretty defensive
also very itchy, yukes!
but its no big deal, I got bath in anti itch cream and shoved her in farthest corner of my spider room
PS. also dont mention to any of your pulchra about daylight or they be asking for a window seat :D

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I got mine as a sling, it is now almost 3" and MUCH more active than when smaller. I am very pleased and would someday like to sex it so I can breed it.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Anastasia: LOL...:)

The consensus seems that they're one of the most docile and least 'kicky' species...maybe you got the one that forgot to read the manual?

I guess it's hit or miss with kicking, so I'll worry about it if it happens.

I'm this close (**) to making a final decision.

Since I'm getting spiderlings...and they're too small to be sexed...what's the maturity time of a male and the lifespan?

jt: Has yours been kicky, or are they less so as juveniles?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
A buddy of mine has 20 cb adults. We sexed all and 2 tried kicking as we were pinch grabbing, the rest were quite OK. He tried it with 20 blondis and he was sick for 3 days.

I didn't buy any that day cos they were close to molting and I did not like the brown color so I paid twice the cost and got a beautiful P.antinous. But later he gave me a freebee sling and I took it.

Cute little bugger.

Get it:).

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra, as posted only rarely have any issues with defensiveness. If you're going to get very small spiderlings, I suggest getting a 2-4, only to ensure you have a nice long lived female if one molts out as a mature male. Mature males are fine, just live less long. Trading mature males out is a great way to get more animals and make the hobby a little less costly. And it is such a popular species!

As for Anastasia's allergic reaction, it usually builds up over time, 15 years ago, I had NO issues, now I can not get near a Brachypelma smithi, but have few problems with other species. Some keepers get near a New World species, and itch for days, your mileage will vary. Since you're starting small, I wouldn't fret the allergy too much at this time.

Furthermore, this species has tons of fans and therefore informative posts, so you can read yourself silly!

Mez

Arachnoknight
A buddy of mine has 20 cb adults. We sexed all and 2 tried kicking as we were pinch grabbing, the rest were quite OK. He tried it with 20 blondis and he was sick for 3 days.

I didn't buy any that day cos they were close to molting and I did not like the brown color so I paid twice the cost and got a beautiful P.antinous. But later he gave me a freebee sling and I took it.

Cute little bugger.

Get it:).
What made him sick for 3 days?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
What made him sick for 3 days?
All the hair he inhaled from the WC T.blondis. He told me that he was completely deep red, had extreme difficulty while trying to breath. Apparently he had a severe allergic reaction.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a good reason NOT to get one is that you'd probably go and get some more of them after the first Pulchra. Then by the time the babies grow, you'd need a bigger enclosure for your ten slings. Then you'll lack space. By the time they mature, you will try and breed them and more babies come your way. Then your friends will envy you and will hate you for owning them. {D

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm getting one! Have one on hold (along with my Singapore Blue)...

Now...what size? I have the option of 1/2" or 1"...

...so many decisions...

I dunno...this could get bad...first I was only getting one...now I'm getting two...but I still think breeding isn't the books for me. However, never say never...;)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I'm getting one! Have one on hold (along with my Singapore Blue)...

Now...what size? I have the option of 1/2" or 1"...

...so many decisions...

I dunno...this could get bad...first I was only getting one...now I'm getting two...but I still think breeding isn't the books for me. However, never say never...;)
1" for sure

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to put it shortly, not really :D

i would think cost would be the only set back (if that matters to you) and how slow they grow naturally. the prices for sexed females at larger sizes can be offputting for someone beginning (especially compared to other beginning Ts), so you may find yourself with a dinky sling for a while, unless you decide to powerfeed.

with that said, they are awesome and once they get the really nice jet black they are absolutely stunning. mine is fairly laid back compared to most of my other Ts, eats like a pig (from my tongs!) and has only half heartedly attempted to flick hairs at me twice.

edit: whats the difference in price between the 1/2" and 1"?

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm in no rush for them to grow...so dinky slings are fine (I'm getting a handle on the jargon too!).

The price difference is $25...so I suppose I should go with 1".

I'm glad everyone is so happy with theirs!

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Pulchras seem to have a cult following stronger than any other T, except maybe pokies. At least thats what I've noticed. I'm sure they aren't this popular for no reason.
And if the 1/2" is $25 less than the 1", I would just get the 1/2". They all get the same size eventually, so you might as well save the money. Plus watching them grow is the funnest part of keeping T's IMO, so why miss out on valuable time with a little sling?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And if the 1/2" is $25 less than the 1", I would just get the 1/2". They all get the same size eventually, so you might as well save the money. Plus watching them grow is the funnest part of keeping T's IMO, so why miss out on valuable time with a little sling?
+1 on this approach.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We wanted to increase the odds of getting a female, so we got 2 at the same time and have grown them from an inch or less to a little under 3 inches. Mulder and Scully are among my favorites in our collection. They have a cute habit of sticking their abdomens high in the air as if to be prepared to kick some hairs, but rarely ever do. I have never seen a threat pose from either one. :) Great pick! I would get it small and grow it from there. They grow fairly quickly at first, so the difference is negligible until they hit 2-3". They will be at the size of the bigger ones quicker than you would think.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is about 2"and I really like it. Pretty skittish at this size, but still cool. When they get larger they are beautiful! Something about the hairs remind me of a black cat...

Rue

Arachnoknight
Uh-oh! Too late. I already put in for the 1"! But the Singapore Blue is only 1/2 " ;)

Oh well...I could talk myself into either size I suppose. Now I'll just have one bigger baby,and one smaller baby...

Heh...now I'm REALLY excited! Two babies coming my way as soon as it's warm enough to send them!

So the G. pulchra has a following? I didn't notice that much when I was Googling...I'll have to go look! How about the Singapore Blues?