Any Canadian Pedekeepers???

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering if there are any Canadians out there keeping pedes. I am particularly looking to acquire Scolopendra hardwickei. I had a polymorpha a long time ago but it passed and I have never seen many pedes available since.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dave Avery has some species of Scolopendra. AbraxasComplex had a ton of different species a while ago, but I do know he was mostly interested in communal or smaller species. He did keep alot of Scolopendra when he first starting keeping them. But I do know that he had a very very large collection of Alipes granderi (sp? Flag Tail species) I had a few scolopendra species but no longer have them. I'll ask AbraxasComplex later this week as I'm going over to his house to pick some stuff up. I talk to him fairly often I can ask and see what he still has. My fiance doesnt want me to get anymore centipedes while we are living in an apartment, once we have our own place its all good. But just cuz they are escape artists she isnt that interested in it getting out and going to a neighbours lol.

Layne

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Layne that is understandable. I know Abraxas will keep just about anything as long as it lives communally lol and that idea intrigues me as well.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, he's helped me out immensely, I've got nothing but good things to say about the guy.

But Dave Avery can get in just about anything you really want for pedes and stuff. If I remember correctly the last species he had was Scolopendra spinosima or different Sp can't remember it was a long time ago. But I helped him setup and unload everything at the last show he did in calgary so I saw all of what he had there.

Layne

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish I could keep pedes, but they're illegal in Ottawa.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He did ask if I had any left. I don't really besides a small species from the Philippines. The rest were sold, many of which ended up with Dave Avery (including Scolopendra spinosima) a year or two back.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm interesting. What is the species from the Phillipines like? Too bad there isn't too much available here right now.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't own any, but I'd consider getting an Akymnopellis chilensis. Besides the lack of availability, I hear that pedes aren't really that visible and tend to burrow anyways, though.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few 2 year old 3'' Otostigmus punctiventer left in a social setting. They keep producing young and a few survived to subadult size.

Heres a link to some photos:

http://www.myriapoden.de/galerie/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=3

Not sure how many I have left since the vase is so heavily planted.

As for pedes always staying hidden that's why I chose social species. Usually one is out wandering around at night.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing AC. Those guys are pretty neat, I like the fact that they are small and social could keep a pretty decent group in a smaller enclosure.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I start looking for species of pedes again I'll be looking for:

Scolopendra polymorpha
Scolopendra hardwickei
Scolopendra gigantea
and maybe Rhysida celeris andina

I dont know how successful I will be finding those ones, the polymorpha shouldnt be too hard to get but the hardwickei and gigantea are going to be fairly difficult to get here. Not looking just yet though so it might not be that bad. I just have to wait until we get our own place and I'm pretty excited about it. It means I can really expand my T collection too. We're just running out of space now. But we're kinda looking for places now but probably by July or Aug we should be for sure trying to buy something as our lease is up in Aug. for the aparment we are in.

Layne

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Guys. I was just wondering, what is the legality of Millipedes in Canada? Is it by region, or are they banned across the country as they now are in the US?

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't quote me on this, but I think it's on a municipal level. Check your city's by-laws. If it's on a federal level, check with the CFIA.

EDIT: oh, you're in the states. check with the CFIA to see if they're banned federally, and if not, check with the destination city's bylaws.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is illegal to own non-native millipedes anywhere in Canada.

Ollie

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah millipedes used to be fairly common in pet shops in Canada, even though they were still illegal, however the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) became more aggressive with enforcement on millipedes and now they are scarce.

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That sucks. Sounds just like the USDA ban that we have here in the states.

I miss being able to go in the pet shops and buy a giant African black millipede for 10 bucks. Now a 1" CB baby is like $60, and you don't even see them often.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We can not even keep CB here. Although I just saw some listed on one of the suppliers that my LPS orders from. I was quite surprised but every now and then you see things that are not permitted. Just last weekend I was travelling in Canada and one pet shop had a large number of stick bugs which are also not permitted to my knowledge.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is either because the store owners/management aren't knowledgeable about the laws involved, or they assume that the average customer isn't any more knowledgeable about the laws, and they figure they can make a few bucks on selling something nobody else has.

There is an LPS here in Ottawa that is going out of business soon, and one of their locations sold me a scorpion a few years ago. They are illegal here (which I didn't know at the time), and I found out a week later that the employee that rang up the sale got in trouble: apparently he was instructed to ring up a lizard of some sort, but I guess he used a "scorpion" button or some such, and now they have a paper record of having sold something illegal in this city.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Relatively recently I've heard of LPS having Hissing Roaches, Mantids (illegal variety, not 3-4 legal species), Stick Insects, and as well the Terrestrial African Snails. But I havent been able to see any millipedes of any variety locally here. I heard as of a couple years ago they were widely spread and readily available but quite uncommon now. I see local Kijiji adds asking for help finding roaches etc, but its the CFIA trying to find people with them and charge them for keeping them. I'm still looking for a couple of the legal species of pedes, Narceus americanus and Harpaphe haydeniana.

What bothers me is, that there are tons of cool legal things available and they have none of it... I've yet to see any Centipedes in any petstore yet, as well as tarantulas are very very limited as to what selection they have. The reptile shows are about the only place I've been able to find much locally.

Layne

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am personally lucky, one of my LPS' always has about 10 different species of tarantulas and usually 4 species of scorpions or more, however I think it may be a store policy not to carry centipedes.