Ants?!

Toombstoner420

Arachnopeon
So, hi everybody I'm new here; my name is Kendyl and I have a Lasiodora Parahybana named Aragog. She is roughly 2 and some change, our living situation since I adopted her has been numerous and varied. Currently and hopefully permanently we are living in a camper so we can go cross country. Well, this has given us some time to acquire some nasty little beasties that have decided her tank is their hizzy too. Best suggestion to keep her tank ant free? I have moved her to a Betty Crocker round container with a lid and holes poked in the top until I get her tank cleaned out and get it fixed back up. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Attachments

Nyke

Arachnopeon
I heard petroleum jelly rubbed a round the tank keep ants away but need to confirm that with others here.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here you go:
http://www.antscanada.com/ant-care/

Specifically,
There are several ways. In the ant keeping world we use common deterrents to keep ants from escaping through little cracks or open spaces. We at AntsCanada like to use vaseline (petroleum gel) and smear a two inch wide band around the outworld door and its joints. Most ants come in contact with it and don’t bother walking through it. Those who have ants that still travel over a two inch thick band of vaseline smeared around the top of the outworld, can also use baby powder (talcum powder) mixed with rubbing alcohol, and smear this mixed substance instead. If you choose this method, be careful not to put too much because the ants can get coated in it and die.
So instead of putting it on the inside of the enclosure like ant keepers do, put it on the outside.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
@Toombstoner420 Your Tarantula should not be climbing on the lid like that. The lid should be pexi glass not screen or mesh.
If ants invaded maybe that mesh saved it?

Op since you're in a camper and probably not gonna get the stuff needed to make a plexiglass lid, just put heavy duty tape across the inside and out of the lid and poke holes. Or, leave a few inches in the middle tape free.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I do have an unrelated question. If you are in a camper driving around how are you planning to prevent the rumbling and vibration from every bump in the road from bothering your Tarantula?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Mesh lids will snag a Tarantula's tarsal claws and leave them dangling until they drop. Best case scenario they lose a leg. Worst case scenario they rupture their abdomen and die. Neither case is preferable and is 100% preventable.

Toombstoner420

Arachnopeon
@Toombstoner420 Your Tarantula should not be climbing on the lid like that. The lid should be pexi glass not screen or mesh.
It has a screen to one layer, I put glass on top to keep humidity in; the mesh top has a nice latch system that keeps her from trying to move it and when we lived elsewhere and children were much too curious.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It has a screen to one layer, I put glass on top to keep humidity in; the mesh top has a nice latch system that keeps her from trying to move it and when we lived elsewhere and children were much too curious.
Right, but Mesh lids will snag a Tarantula's tarsal claws and leave them dangling until they drop. Best case scenario they lose a leg. Worst case scenario they rupture their abdomen and die.

Just saying there should be a better way to set it up.

Toombstoner420

Arachnopeon

Op since you're in a camper and probably not gonna get the stuff needed to make a plexiglass lid, just put heavy duty tape across the inside and out of the lid and poke holes. Or, leave a few inches in the middle tape free.
I didn't have a whole bunch because it just started trying to get warm here; however ants in general are never a good thing so I immediately removed her and cleaned the tank today.

Toombstoner420

Arachnopeon
Right, but Mesh lids will snag a Tarantula's tarsal claws and leave them dangling until they drop. Best case scenario they lose a leg. Worst case scenario they rupture their abdomen and die.

Just saying there should be a better way to set it up.
Well unfortunately the tank is designed with that mesh top to fit it, my only other option is to silicone plexi in front of the mesh on the inside which currently I have neither materials on hand. I will take it under advisement. However, I do not appreciate you ignoring the purpose of the post and trying to force an issue while not being helpful in the area in which we are speaking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well unfortunately the tank is designed with that mesh top to fit it, my only other option is to silicone plexi in front of the mesh on the inside which currently I have neither materials on hand. I will take it under advisement. However, I do not appreciate you ignoring the purpose of the post and trying to force an issue while not being helpful in the area in which we are speaking.
You'll find people have the Ts best interests at heart when they reply. The fact a member pointed out something is helpful. If one posts, one must expect all sorts of replies. If one cannot handle that, one shouldn't post.

Toombstoner420

Arachnopeon
You'll find people have the Ts best interests at heart when they reply. The fact a member pointed out something is helpful. If one posts, one must expect all sorts of replies. If one cannot handle that, one shouldn't post.
If common courtesy is too much to ask for then clearly this is not the place for me. Too bad.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If common courtesy is too much to ask for then clearly this is not the place for me. Too bad.
He pointed out that you should fix something that can literally kill your spider. He wasn't even rude about it. How is that not common courtesy? That's going above and beyond.

If you can't take constructive criticism, then no, this isn't the place for you. Too bad, you could have learned a lot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He pointed out that you should fix something that can literally kill your spider. He wasn't even rude about it. How is that not common courtesy? That's going above and beyond.

If you can't take constructive criticism, then no, this isn't the place for you. Too bad, you could have learned a lot.
Man, just let the T die, that's the spirit it seems in this thread :rolleyes: