Replace screen tops!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe the owner needs to get a new pet and give this GBB to someone who does the proper research, because with "love" like that, that particular GBB could use a lot less from its owner.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've always said I've never had a problem with my exo lids. But after seeing that I've took action. Just bought a tape measure that's coming tomorrow and some aquarium silicone and gun.

Going to measure up tomorrow and then order some perspex cut to fit inside the lids underneath. Approx 265mm x 260mm for my large ones. I'll measure more accurately tomorrow.

I'll use my soldering iron to make holes in the plastic (just tested it on the pieces I'm using outside the lids) and attach it using small amounts of the silicon.

I can't look at that picture and not act.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always said I've never had a problem with my exo lids. But after seeing that I've took action. Just bought a tape measure that's coming tomorrow and some aquarium silicone and gun.

Going to measure up tomorrow and then order some perspex cut to fit inside the lids underneath. Approx 265mm x 260mm for my large ones. I'll measure more accurately tomorrow.

I'll use my soldering iron to make holes in the plastic (just tested it on the pieces I'm using outside the lids) and attach it using small amounts of the silicon.

I can't look at that picture and not act.
I'm surprised you haven't had an issue yet, or perhaps you never saw your T have an issue? I found my male A. metallica hanging a bit for a few seconds, and while he freed himself, I could see it was an easy way for a fall etc. I love ExoTerra too.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm surprised you haven't had an issue yet, or perhaps you never saw your T have an issue? I found my male A. metallica hanging a bit for a few seconds, and while he freed himself, I could see it was an easy way for a fall etc. I love ExoTerra too.
In a few days I'll never have an issue.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tape measure arrived. I've measured up my exo's. Ordered a couple of extra of both sizes too just in case I buy any more.

3-7 days delivery. So at the very most in 7 working days I'll have sorted all the lids out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tape measure arrived. I've measured up my exo's. Ordered a couple of extra of both sizes too just in case I buy any more.

3-7 days delivery. So at the very most in 7 working days I'll have sorted all the lids out.
Are you going to drop in the acrylic into each screen section so you can use ExoTerra's frame lid?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Are you going to drop in the acrylic into each screen section so you can use ExoTerra's frame lid?
No. I'm going to stick the sheet inside the lid. There's a recess that will take the sheet covering all of the mesh.

It should be very straightforward and won't require me to do any damage to the mesh lids.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No. I'm going to stick the sheet inside the lid. There's a recess that will take the sheet covering all of the mesh.

It should be very straightforward and won't require me to do any damage to the mesh lids.
So you'll be able to drop in the acrylic w/out removing the screen, while using the frame. That would be great. I'll have to see if mine will work like that, I have a first generation model and the lids were different back then.

basin79

ArachnoGod
So you'll be able to drop in the acrylic w/out removing the screen, while using the frame. That would be great. I'll have to see if mine will work like that, I have a first generation model and the lids were different back then.
Yes that's how I'm planning to do it anyway. I can't see any reason why it won't work.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes that's how I'm planning to do it anyway. I can't see any reason why it won't work.
Let me know how that goes. I was under the impression the screen would need to be removed. I personally don't want to do that in case the tank gets filled w/something else at some point. They don't sell the lids by themselves.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Let me know how that goes. I was under the impression the screen would need to be removed. I personally don't want to do that in case the tank gets filled w/something else at some point. They don't sell the lids by themselves.
They do sell replacement lids. Well they do here in the UK. That typed the new exo's have different lids. My new ones have horizontal semi circle turning clips. The old one I have has vertical clips.

It will be a massive bonus though if I can solve the problem with just a few blobs of silicone.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They do sell replacement lids. Well they do here in the UK. That typed the new exo's have different lids. My new ones have horizontal semi circle turning clips. The old one I have has vertical clips.

It will be a massive bonus though if I can solve the problem with just a few blobs of silicone.
Yep same here in the USA for the lid style. I have the vertical clips that lock in place, works well for herps and amphibians. I haven't seen spare lids here, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough... Then again you are in the UK, close to their HQ than I, and EU is a larger market, even w/out the UK hah.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yep same here in the USA for the lid style. I have the vertical clips that lock in place, works well for herps and amphibians. I haven't seen spare lids here, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough... Then again you are in the UK, close to their HQ than I, and EU is a larger market, even w/out the UK hah.
Depends on the style of lid you are looking for. They usually sell the black metal mesh lids by themselves for standard sized enclosures (2.5g, 5.5g, 10g, 29g, 55g, etc.)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pretty much why I don't buy those terras aside the fact that I don't think it practical to buy something and having to change it myself to a "working order" for the purpose I intend it for. Hence - I'll stick with glass enclosures. Never had any T get their claws stuck in the 2mm thick vented aluminium plating on those...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on the style of lid you are looking for. They usually sell the black metal mesh lids by themselves for standard sized enclosures (2.5g, 5.5g, 10g, 29g, 55g, etc.)
Those are for fish tanks, not the ExoTerra herp oriented tanks. I can get metal screen lids anywhere in the USA. ExoTerra doesn't sell lids for their herp tanks in the USA to my knowledge, nor have it I seen it as a product on their site.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pretty much why I don't buy those terras aside the fact that I don't think it practical to buy something and having to change it myself to a "working order" for the purpose I intend it for. Hence - I'll stick with glass enclosures. Never had any T get their claws stuck in the 2mm thick vented aluminium plating on those...
If only we had those here so easily as you guys do.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Those are for fish tanks, not the ExoTerra herp oriented tanks. I can get metal screen lids anywhere in the USA. ExoTerra doesn't sell lids for their herp tanks in the USA to my knowledge, nor have it I seen it as a product on their site.
Oh alright, I guess I didn't read the whole thread sorry! :)