Anticipated: Pic Thread & Discussion

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Tort, John, Chilo

Tortuga: Glad you enjoyed my corny spoof of cliche :D

JohnHarper: There really is not any pure patternless whites I have seen or heard of as of yet. People are close (& I want some), but none thus far. If you get the chance check out post # 34 of this thread.

Chilobrachy's: Coco humus if that is what you are reffering to is often used in many set ups as well as coco husk fiber etc... I have found that many fecal matter( although I try to get it all) often goes unnoticed and gets broken down into the coco husk which is what I use. I found the husk does not mold on me, will retain water, and does not stay to dry or wet. Many individuals have all different substrates they use (as well with T's) and they will swear by it. You have to go with what works best for you and your Gecko and seek (as your doing) educated advice from others. The downfall to the thicker coco husk is the geckos may swallow some and risk inpaction if you are feeding crickets in the substrate. I however, only feed in a tall cremaic pot (flower pot) that the crickets can not get out of and all my geckos go in to feed and often deficate there after eating and I just take it out clean it and put it back in. Hope this helps and here is just one of many sites selling coco humus and discussion on.

http://www.zooplus.com/shop/reptiles/terrarium_supplies/substrates/humus/126131

http://www.reptilecentre.com/files_gecko_lizards_care

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Mellow Yellows

Here is one of my interesting yellows with Dalmation Spots. She is very interesting because she has a great pin, but you dan't really see it because the pin is yellow like her normal coloration.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Blood Dal

I was asked what a "blood dalmation" is? A red freckled, blood dalmation, red spotted dalmation are the same and quite simply instead of the dalmation being black spoted they are red spots. Many people ask if that is blood & the answer is no of course it is just the coloration of their dalmation spots. I love the red freckles for a break from the norm check her out.....

Burdette4

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot Joe preety cool links you have been doing this for a while it seems and I cant wait to see the pics.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Backwoods & Burdette

Backwoods: Ya, Ya, I have been hearing that camera stuff for a while get some pics up already LOL:) Actually, I know how it goes bro I waited for a while to get a decent camera they can get expensive and or are difficult to use, but I can't wait to see your pics of super dal etc....

Burdette: Thanks & I don't know if you got to scroll through the entire thread and check out all of the great pics, but several people posted some awesome geckos as well. I would love to see some gecko pics from you if you have any or get some.

Thanks,
Joe

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Please Excuse......

Please Excuse My Technology Attempt. This is my first time trying to test my video camera and upload on this site. My friends and Wife keep telling me it's time to get out of the stone age twinkle toes! This is a new Red Female with a Blondie/Pin/Harley Male Intro.

Did it work?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey joe can you post a picture of the inside of one of your cages, specifically how you have the food bowls set up.

mine keep making a mess :wall:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Post #11

Tabor,

Check out post # 11 on the 1st pg. or so. There is a picture of one of the set ups with the feeding bowl, lay box, water bowl, climbing stick, substrate, etc....

Hope this helps,
Joe

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Just happend...

Just happend to catch this guy looking at a cricket in the bowl so I figured It might help as well tabor. He just jumps right in to the flower pot and gobbles them up.

Joe

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Post 127 Feedback

I am still wondering if the video link worked on post 127. Can you actually see the video? I am slowly getting the technology stuff I hope & it has been a long effort from dealing with the local pets sup etc.....

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am still wondering if the video link worked on post 127. Can you actually see the video? I am slowly getting the technology stuff I hope & it has been a long effort from dealing with the local pets sup etc.....
plays just fine ;)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks Bianca

Thanks Bianca & looks like I can do some vid now & I actually did something technologicaly right Yea!!!:eek:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Often....

I use the CGD, calcium, herpavite, in corelation with the baby food and crickets. I dust the crickets with all three and use a spirinkle of all three in the baby food every time I feed. Crickets constantly offering in the food bowl where they go to feed when they are hungry and baby food 1 a week.

Hope This helps,
Joe

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Not Very often....

It is not very often I catch one of my females being naughty and laying their eggs in the substrate instead of the hatck box. Here is this girl with her egg coming out in the substrate. I am glad I got too it quick before it dried out.

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
nice

Very good Joe Ihave been waiting to see that sorry I have been hard to get ahold of latley we had a tornado and my phone is off messed a lot of stuf up.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Where U @

I was wondering Where U @????? Great to hear form you and sorry to hear about the T-Nado...I pray there is no losses on your end and for those there was. You O.K.?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Baby Food feeding

I know I need to work on the lighting, but I hope this helps for those of you who asked how much peach baby food, calcium, vitamin, & c.g. diet I use with geckos. Also this is usually done once a week or every other. The crickets are dusted with the same mixture every feeding.

Click Here:
http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/JoeRossi/?action=view&current=MOV01438.flv

URL=http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/JoeRossi/?action=view&current=MOV01438.flv]
[/URL]

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Where Is My Tail?

I have recently been asked about tail loss in Crested Geckos & why they see so many crested geckos with out tail's from many breeders and or pet stores. My answer is that too many of the geckos are housed with other geckos and or the housing is too small. When males are housed with males they will fight with each and will definitely fight each other over food. Also, females will fight over food as well. I try to house 2-3 females per male and I have yet to lose more then 2 tails. I have lossed two tails in all my years and a few years back my silly self accidently shut the door on a tail and the other one I had no idea the female was gravid and I picked her up and she flipped out and dropped it. My point is if you know how and when to handle your Cresteds frequently and maintain their health then losing a tail can become Not common. It can happen, but NOT common. Other reasons can be poor maitinence/health care and I will post the following from www.ciliatus.com :http://www.ciliatus.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=185. ALthough I do not agree that this has to be common it is stated on the site and I wont remove it because it is true in my opinoin due to the way individuals often keep them, but does not have to be common and 2 out of hundreds is not statistically common in my opinion.

Loss of Tail Tip (Common)

There are two common causes for crested geckos can lose the tips of their tails and it seems to be the most common occurance of anything else I've talked about on this page. Fortunately, most of the crested gecko community don't judge geckos by a damaged tail, or even the lack of a tail entirely!

"Hunting Accidents"
If you're feeding crickets to your geckos, it's inevitable that geckos will accidentally bite and then tug on each others tails. Usually this doesn't harm the other gecko, but if the one doing the biting is especially slow to recognize its mistake, injury can occur. These bite wounds always heal without any special attention and should be no cause for alarm...however, sometimes the tail may become damaged to a point where it is no longer receiving sufficient bloodflow. When this happens, that portion of the tail will dry up and eventually fall off.

If hunting accidents are common in your collection and you're worried about tails, you may want to cut down on the number of geckos you keep in an enclosure or simply increase the size of the enclosure. When given sufficient room, these accidents seem to occur with less frequency.

Retained Shed
Sometimes a gecko will have a hard time shedding the skin around the tip of the tail and if not caught in time, the unshed skin can constrict and cut off bloodflow, effectively killing the tip of the tail. If you do catch it early enough, simply peel away the unshed skin and the tail should return to normal.

However, if the tip has already turned black and hard, I've found it best to let nature take its course. The tip will eventually fall off and the tail will look almost completely normal (albeit shorter) within just a couple months.

To prevent or correct this, be sure to correct any humidity issues and add a humid hide if necessary.
< Prev

Hope this helps Matt,

Joe

Last edited: