Another mesh screen sold-help!

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
About to sleep, and was thumbing through some tarantula info online after getting my first curly hair tarantula & setting up my first enclosure. I’m really bummed to see the tank & mesh top combo I was sold isn’t recommended, especially bc the source is so great typically. Before I read this, I saw my tarantula scamper up the wall to explore the lid, even saw them pull at the mesh a bit with their fangs. (Now resting on the substrate, relaxed). I was endeared by it at first, thinking it was cool that they were exploring. But now I’m very uncomfortable! Don’t want them to get injured or loose.

They’re so small still, (1-1/2” maybe 2”), I’m hoping I’ve got some time to order a stronger acrylic enclosure? Or should I be anticipating a jailbreak? I’ve got an “oh crap” cup ready next to the tank just in case.

Just how big does a curly hair tarantula need to be to break out of wire mesh?

Going to be hard to sleep hoping they’re still there in the morning! Have a plan for tomorrow to get plexi cut, & drill holes in it.

Any advice on how thick the acrylic should be?

Then I’m thinking I fix the plexi to the top with gorilla brand tape? Any ideas on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
ust how big does a curly hair tarantula need to be to break out of wire mesh?
Not sure on that one, but a friend of mine had a B.hamorii chew through and get out at 2"

I dont think it has to be too thick tbh...but not sure what the exact dimensions should be.

They’re so small still, (1-1/2” maybe 2”), I’m hoping I’ve got some time to order a stronger acrylic enclosure?
Photos of the current enclosure relative to size of the T would help

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
Not sure on that one, but a friend of mine had a B.hamorii chew through and get out at 2"

I dont think it has to be too thick tbh...but not sure what the exact dimensions should be.

IMG_0281.jpeg IMG_0275.jpeg IMG_0277.jpeg

I’ve just ordered a “tarantula cribs” brand acrylic enclosure. Hoping for speedy shipping lol. My coworker says she’s also getting a tarantula at the same time as me, & is going to use a glass terrarium. Will be contacting her asap in the morning. How does this misinformation spread?! Is it just differing opinions? Or simply not enough knowledge in the exotic pet stores?

Attachments

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
How does this misinformation spread?! Is it just differing opinions? Or simply not enough knowledge in the exotic pet stores?
It is outdated information. People used to keep tarantulas on aquarium rocks and glass beads back in the day. Most stores only have the information their distributor has...and if they do not specialize in tarantulas, the odds of them using proper information is zilch....they just want their money.

I will say this though, just using your current setup as the example, you want a LOT more substrate. I mean a LOT. You dont want more than 1.5 times the leg span between the top of the sub and the lid. It is a fall hazard. Tarantulas are not like true spiders. Even though non arboreal Ts are capable climbers, they are clumsy. Their abdomens are like water balloons and too high a fall can rupture it and kill them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’ve just ordered a “tarantula cribs” brand acrylic enclosure. Hoping for speedy shipping lol. My coworker says she’s also getting a tarantula at the same time as me, & is going to use a glass terrarium. Will be contacting her asap in the morning. How does this misinformation spread?! Is it just differing opinions? Or simply not enough knowledge in the exotic pet stores?
I don’t know I never asked them for advice anymore , but my problem was buying sick Ts . And I was able to keep some alive for months but no receipt or guarantees I’m down to one of 4. The same exact spider as yours .

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
It is outdated information. People used to keep tarantulas on aquarium rocks and glass beads back in the day. Most stores only have the information their distributor has...and if they do not specialize in tarantulas, the odds of them using proper information is zilch....they just want their money.

I will say this though, just using your current setup as the example, you want a LOT more substrate. I mean a LOT. You dont want more than 1.5 times the leg span between the top of the sub and the lid. It is a fall hazard. Tarantulas are not like true spiders. Even though non arboreal Ts are capable climbers, they are clumsy. Their abdomens are like water balloons and too high a fall can rupture it and kill them.
Holy Canoli, THANK YOU. I knew I needed to add more- but must have misunderstood the employees instructions. I thought she said this amount from the bottom of the tank to the top of the sub. Super appreciate that. Knowing the context helps me remember why things need to be the way they are. Could’ve really used that hours ago!!

I don’t know I never asked them for advice anymore , but my problem was buying sick Ts . And I was able to keep some alive for months but no receipt or guarantees I’m down to one of 4. The same exact spider as yours .
That’s super sad, I’m so sorry :(

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
. I thought she said this amount from the bottom of the tank to the top of the sub.
Honestly she might have, as I said, if the shop doesn't specialize in Inverts, the odds of them knowing better are exponentially slim lol.

Might I suggest this

I would also recommend watchin Tom's Big Spiders and Dave's Little Beasties on Youtube

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
Honestly she might have, as I said, if the shop doesn't specialize in Inverts, the odds of them knowing better are exponentially slim lol.

Might I suggest this

I would also recommend watchin Tom's Big Spiders and Dave's Little Beasties on Youtube
Life saver, thank you tremendously! They don’t specialize in invertebrates; (they’re reptiles) so that would make sense I guess.

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon

yeah this is the one left. But yeah stores generally don’t know anything. It’s a wonder they keep anything alive.
This would check out, bc I remember asking her if she could check my basket to see if I had the right bowl, enclosure, substrate, etc & she barely glanced & was like “yup you’re good “.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You don't have to get fancy expensive enclosures, I'm a big fan of keeping the boxes cheap so I can buy more spiders.

I use an XL shoe box (Mainstays brand) if you search you'll find the big blue store that sells them for $7. Drill some holes on the sides and lid (it already comes with some) and bam. Big ol box of dirt. 10x15x8 LWH ish to be exact lol. I couldn't afford this hobby if I had to buy fancy cribs for everybody.

I have inherited a few mesh glass combos. First thing I do is cover the mesh wit pre drilled something....either swap it with a $20 or less piece of acrylic from orange Depot or the plastic from a cheap poster frame from anywhere, just got one on sale for $7 at the red bullseye. Or while you're shopping for the shoe bins (you better leave me some bro) you can get a $3 stencil blank kit. Poke the holes and use some hot glue or gorilla glue super glue gel and affix it to the tarantula side of the mesh, let it dry until you can't smell it anymore, rinse the whole lid in cold water (cures the glue if it wasn't done already) and go to sleep.

I weigh down my lids with other, smaller T enclosures, zip ties, tamper evident tape that helps me keep track of the last time I swapped/washed water dishes, my iPad 🤣 all depends on the size of the T and the enclosure.

Also I drill a hole to drop feeders through, less popping of the lids, less disturbances, happier T. I'll zip tie water dishes through ventilation holes so they can't be "disappeared" 🤣 I love me some cheap plastic bins.

When you get into arboreals we got cheap plastic bins too, especially at small sizes, but I'm working on some large adult prototypes myself in the $30/ea range

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
you will also need to add more dirt and fill that tank more than half full until the fall distance is no more than 1.5 times your pets dls to prevent injury from a fall. regardless of/when you fix that lid

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
About to sleep, and was thumbing through some tarantula info online after getting my first curly hair tarantula & setting up my first enclosure. I’m really bummed to see the tank & mesh top combo I was sold isn’t recommended, especially bc the source is so great typically. Before I read this, I saw my tarantula scamper up the wall to explore the lid, even saw them pull at the mesh a bit with their fangs. (Now resting on the substrate, relaxed). I was endeared by it at first, thinking it was cool that they were exploring. But now I’m very uncomfortable! Don’t want them to get injured or loose.

They’re so small still, (1-1/2” maybe 2”), I’m hoping I’ve got some time to order a stronger acrylic enclosure? Or should I be anticipating a jailbreak? I’ve got an “oh crap” cup ready next to the tank just in case.

Just how big does a curly hair tarantula need to be to break out of wire mesh?

Going to be hard to sleep hoping they’re still there in the morning! Have a plan for tomorrow to get plexi cut, & drill holes in it.

Then I’m thinking I fix the plexi to the top with gorilla brand tape? Any ideas on that?
The chewing / escape is not the only issue with a wire mesh lid. Injury to a Tarantula is also a very real concern, with them getting hung up it the wire mesh and having problems. Plexi that is drilled for ventilation should be used to replace the mesh as a best practice. I have seen a couple of my T's venture up to the top to explore. This is why i use Tarantula Cribs or Herpcult enclosures. Both can be found on sale frequently, and have always been reliable. Also both brands have designs that are made for the tarantulas.

Last edited:

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
The chewing / escape is not the only issue with a wire mesh lid. Injury to a Tarantula is also a very real concern, with them getting hung up it the wire mesh and having problems. Plexi that is drilled for ventilation should be used to replace the mesh as a best practice. I have seen a couple of my T's venture up to the top to explore. This is why i use Tarantula Cribs or Herpcult enclosures. Both can be found on sale frequently, and have always been reliable. Also both brands have designs that are made for the tarantulas.
Yes; stated above the mesh top is being replaced. The info was only discovered late last night & couldn’t do anything about it; am making an acrylic top today, will update.

you will also need to add more dirt and fill that tank more than half full until the fall distance is no more than 1.5 times your pets dls to prevent injury from a fall. regardless of/when you fix that lid
Ty yes confirmed & did fix.

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Ty yes confirmed & did fix.
Please post pictures of the update. I have been looking into the style with the mesh lids, and wondered how well the replacement (plexi) lids worked out. Aquariums are inexpensive, and I can get plexi from work, to modify the lid. A lot cheaper than the plastic, when your collection expands...

Yes; stated above the mesh top is being replaced. The info was only discovered late last night & couldn’t do anything about it; am making an acrylic top today, will update.
Please post photos of the update when you get it set up.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
Just wanted to say I use the acrylic shoeboxes too and with the new version I affixed the lid with pairs of the little self-adhesive wall hanging hooks and tiny rubber bands. Like this: 20240515_101351.jpg So far so good, and you can use as many sets as seem necessary. The old style ones I had ordered lid clips from a vendor on etsy, but then they changed the lid style on me and I can't find the old style any more.

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to say I use the acrylic shoeboxes too and with the new version I affixed the lid with pairs of the little self-adhesive wall hanging hooks and tiny rubber bands. Like this: View attachment 473469 So far so good, and you can use as many sets as seem necessary. The old style ones I had ordered lid clips from a vendor on etsy, but then they changed the lid style on me and I can't find the old style any more.
I’ve never seen these acrylic shoe boxes…where do you find them?

You don't have to get fancy expensive enclosures, I'm a big fan of keeping the boxes cheap so I can buy more spiders.

I use an XL shoe box (Mainstays brand) if you search you'll find the big blue store that sells them for $7. Drill some holes on the sides and lid (it already comes with some) and bam. Big ol box of dirt. 10x15x8 LWH ish to be exact lol. I couldn't afford this hobby if I had to buy fancy cribs for everybody.

I have inherited a few mesh glass combos. First thing I do is cover the mesh wit pre drilled something....either swap it with a $20 or less piece of acrylic from orange Depot or the plastic from a cheap poster frame from anywhere, just got one on sale for $7 at the red bullseye. Or while you're shopping for the shoe bins (you better leave me some bro) you can get a $3 stencil blank kit. Poke the holes and use some hot glue or gorilla glue super glue gel and affix it to the tarantula side of the mesh, let it dry until you can't smell it anymore, rinse the whole lid in cold water (cures the glue if it wasn't done already) and go to sleep.

I weigh down my lids with other, smaller T enclosures, zip ties, tamper evident tape that helps me keep track of the last time I swapped/washed water dishes, my iPad 🤣 all depends on the size of the T and the enclosure.

Also I drill a hole to drop feeders through, less popping of the lids, less disturbances, happier T. I'll zip tie water dishes through ventilation holes so they can't be "disappeared" 🤣 I love me some cheap plastic bins.

When you get into arboreals we got cheap plastic bins too, especially at small sizes, but I'm working on some large adult prototypes myself in the $30/ea range
Ok took me a minute to fully understand the shoe box thing; never seen the acrylic ones ever! This is a great alternative & will remember in future / pass along to my coworker who is currently learning from my mistakes haha. Super helpful thanks.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
I'm a discriminator- I put my boys in the cheapest enclosures possible and spend a little more on my display girls. That way when they mature I can just send them off in their full enclosure all settled in. That 5lb animal cracker bin in the background is for one of my arboreal boys when he gets a bit bigger. I'm forcing us all to eat a lifetime supply of animal crackers just for the cheap spider housing. 🤣

PermianEnd

Arachnopeon
I'm a discriminator- I put my boys in the cheapest enclosures possible and spend a little more on my display girls. That way when they mature I can just send them off in their full enclosure all settled in. That 5lb animal cracker bin in the background is for one of my arboreal boys when he gets a bit bigger. I'm forcing us all to eat a lifetime supply of animal crackers just for the cheap spider housing. 🤣
Omg funny. All for that! Girls deserve it.

Please post photos of the update when you get it set up.
So I added a bunch more substrate, (lmk if it’s still lacking!) just couldn’t get enough into the right corner where my tarantula is hanging out right now.

Then I got 2 pieces of “double” ply plexiglass cut at my local Ace Hardware store. I measured the screen’s length & width only, then the whole lid’s dimensions. I did this so I’d have a “back up” lid while I glued the screen sized plexi to the underside of the original lid. I asked for help choosing the right drill bit for plastic, attached. It fit fine in my cheap hand drill I bought from Target. I read to tape the area before you drill, really helped keep the holes clean & made it easier. I practiced on the “back up” lid first. Go slow & gently-made some micro cracks bc I pushed too hard a couple times, & it slammed on the plexi.
Used gorilla glue to fix to underside of the lid, & held in place with gorilla tape for security.
May keep the extra lid I made taped to the top just in case, but only if it’s allowing enough air.

Thanks you all for the support- thankful I stumbled on this forum!

Attachments