andrew zimmern = Tarantula murderer

fretman08

Arachnosquire
Ok so today I was watching the bizarre foods halloween special. I was very shocked to see Andrew and a few of his guests eating tarantulas! I was very much disgusted! Can u imagine eating one of ur T's? I personally could never do it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and if so I was wondering what species they were eating? I couldnt quite tell.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so today I was watching the bizarre foods halloween special. I was very shocked to see Andrew and a few of his guests eating tarantulas! I was very much disgusted! Can u imagine eating one of ur T's? I personally could never do it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and if so I was wondering what species they were eating? I couldnt quite tell.
Ever eat crab?......people keep those too, you know. :rolleyes:

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont have a problem with people eating spiders as food. although i like them more as pets than a snack, some cultures eat spiders and i think that people should respect that.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't you know that people in other countries eat Tarantulas? The people in parts of asia eat Haplopelma sp.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I agree they are a very good source of protein if you can't afford any kind of meat. Plus a lot of the ones the eat breed like mad.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, most incidents of t consumption I've heard of have been ow/asian species, which are typically anything but non-defensive! ;)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw the show

I saw the show thought it was very educational and cool.Looks like they were eating H.lividium,I have one but would not consider eating it.

Hey I love my steak but people of different cultures thinks that's horrendous also ;)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, compared to eating animals which are bred only to be eaten, live in crummy conditions and are fed wrong food to produce the right types of meat, and that said animals are mammals that can actually feel pain, I'd say it's a rather humane source of protein.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
lol im sure i can imagine plenty of bites happen due to that ouch lol.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Imagine having your dinner suddenly chomping on your nose :D

They are generally killed before cooking though..

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gaah, I can't remember!! It's been a link to it up here before, and theres a place in cambodia, I believe, where they catch em, de-fang them and fry em up. They're sold in nice little baggies, and people pick the meatiest from HUGE baskets of fried t's.. It's quite remarkable..

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gaah, I can't remember!! It's been a link to it up here before, and theres a place in cambodia, I believe, where they catch em, de-fang them and fry em up. They're sold in nice little baggies, and people pick the meatiest from HUGE baskets of fried t's.. It's quite remarkable..
Look above you :D

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool video. I see nothing wrong with it as long as they're eating it. If you're going to kill something, you should eat it. If you're killing it just for fun then that's wrong.

That's my opinion.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Some kind of haplo.
They are WC, defanged, and sold by the hundreds in the markets. Otherwise they are sold already fried. I tried some long time ago in Cambodia. Someone mentioned crab; they taste very similar, but have a texture all their own.

For the brave, and for those who really want to try one but don't want to go to Vietnam/Cambodia, you can get them online.

Hanes

Arachnosquire
On the flipside the Cambodians might look at us and think we're weird for keeping them as pets

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^
Reminds me of when me dad asked me chineese neighbour if she got hungry when she saw my dog XD