Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

this is E. amanica
Can you be sure? The seller was adamant that it wasn't amanica, but he didn't seem the most knowledgeable. Very few of his animals were scientifically labelled, with many having totally incorrect common names in the place of actual useful info. A solifugid, vinegaroon and this whipspider were all labelled "Giant Whip-Scorpion"...:arghh:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, the bacilliform processes on the femur are doubtless. But I strongly doubt on the origin "Cameroon", this is clearly an eastern African species/genus. The only "similar" looking species, is Phrynichus exophthalmus known from western/central Africa. But we never know :)

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Nice and good to see that they made their round on another continent…
top left to right, row by row: D. diadema, Heterophrynus sp., P. ceylonicus, Phrynus sp. (maybe whitei from Mexico), E. bacillifer, P. decoratus, D. diadema and P. longipes.
Right?
Impressive! Pretty spot on! The Phrynus 2nd from the top right is indeed whitei. The bottom left however is a young Damon medius.

-JohnD.

Yes, the bacilliform processes on the femur are doubtless. But I strongly doubt on the origin "Cameroon", this is clearly an eastern African species/genus. The only "similar" looking species, is Phrynichus exophthalmus known from western/central Africa. But we never know :)
Thanks for the info! It seems I accidentally acquired my most desired Amblypygid! Hopefully he/she lasts... I have heard they are particularly sensitive. Mine is in a very moist enclosure for now but has hardly moved since bringing it home last Sunday :(

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are easy to keep and raise, but complicated to breed, at least to me so far ;)
You just need a lot of space when they moult.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
See here in detail…
E. bacillifer with "normal" long bacilliform processes.

E. amanica with extremly elongated ones…

and finally the normal spination, typical for Phrynichus species, here P. exophthalmus

See here in detail…
E. bacillifer with "normal" long bacilliform processes.

E. amanica with extremly elongated ones…

and finally the normal spination, typical for Phrynichus species, here P. exophthalmus
Wow thanks for that!

My E. amanica is very dark, almost black in color. I understand this can be due to poor husbandry but perhaps it's a trait found in juveniles of the species? (It's about an inch in body length).
Sorry for all the bothersome Q's but I'm finding it really difficult to find info on this species :0

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Coloration does not help you a lot, as most of whip spiders change slightly their color during life time, due to the fact, that they continue molting a lifetime long and get darker when they are older. Beside the processes you can also tell these two species apart from their size, within the same time span, E. bacillifer would not get very big, instead E. amanica reach a very long pedipalp length within 2,5 years, they are huge in the end. Once seen, no never doubt on that; the same is true for Damon diadema/ D. vargiegatus… once seen real D. variegatus, you never call the eastern African species so, you do not need to be a scientific guy, just get once a correct ID species and look at them.
Anyway, your specimen from the picture is already adult and quite huge, if you get fresh offspring, just wait 2-3 molts in the first 6 months, then you already can see it with your eyes and check the spination with a "better" photo.

In detail about the bacilliform apophysis:
E. amanica the first two, close to the trochanter, most distal ones, are the largest (in total three), they thickened and club shaped in large males;

E. bacillifer the first one is very minor and not well developed and the second one (counted from distal of the pedipalp femur) is the largest, but very small compared to E. amanica's, sometimes there is another very small spinerlet in between, so than the largest is the 3rd one, here they are not thickened in males.

On the weekend I can take shots of juveniles and adult-close up of both species.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Did you finally find a female for your male?!?!?!
Yup! Now just waiting for some magic to happen... :)

Heres a shot for scale:

The good news is he/she seems to be settling in. It scurried away from the light for the fist time a few moments ago, as opposed to squatting motionless on the styrofoam despite being disturbed as it had the past few days. Fingers crossed!
If I'm not wrong, your specimen is definitely sexually mature already and is relatively close to average max size for the species.
Lots of whip spiders in general can look larger in photos when they prop themselves upward off of whatever they are perched on. It's a natural "forced perspective" that probably helps them appear more menacing to predators.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Coloration does not help you a lot, as most of whip spiders change slightly their color during life time, due to the fact, that they continue molting a lifetime long and get darker when they are older. Beside the processes you can also tell these two species apart from their size, within the same time span, E. bacillifer would not get very big, instead E. amanica reach a very long pedipalp length within 2,5 years, they are huge in the end. Once seen, no never doubt on that; the same is true for Damon diadema/ D. vargiegatus… once seen real D. variegatus, you never call the eastern African species so, you do not need to be a scientific guy, just get once a correct ID species and look at them.
Anyway, your specimen from the picture is already adult and quite huge, if you get fresh offspring, just wait 2-3 molts in the first 6 months, then you already can see it with your eyes and check the spination with a "better" photo.

In detail about the bacilliform apophysis:
E. amanica the first two, close to the trochanter, most distal ones, are the largest (in total three), they thickened and club shaped in large males;

E. bacillifer the first one is very minor and not well developed and the second one (counted from distal of the pedipalp femur) is the largest, but very small compared to E. amanica's, sometimes there is another very small spinerlet in between, so than the largest is the 3rd one, here they are not thickened in males.

On the weekend I can take shots of juveniles and adult-close up of both species.
as promised…
E. bacillifer details

E. amanica details