Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
for CLEAR ID and not just an "educated guess" it is ain't done with "pictures", then I need several clear morphological relevant parts -close up- etc. not so easy. so if you have more then "one" specimen each and can breed them, i'd like to get some and then i can give an ID.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
How well can one identify a species based on it's molt? I have taken some very high quality pictures of my P. marginemaculatus molt, though that is an easy species to identify, could others do the same with other species?

Moonfall

Arachnosquire
What's the bite on these guys like?

I'm thinking about adding another spider and these...just wow. I have seen them held on hands before and you have a photo of that as well so they must not be deadly.

Scorpmatt

Arachnopeon
Paraphrynus sp.I Mexiko
[/QUOTE]

The Paraphrynus sp. I, from México It's similar to P. chacmool in what part of México was caught?

Congratulations You have a very nice collection of Amblys.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@moonfall: whip spiders don't have venom glands;)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a bunch of Damon diadema. Has anyone ever had a mature adult use their palps to impale you? I had this happen one. The adult (a male) jammed one palp spike in my hand. There was a small hole with a little blood where the palp spike entered my hand. It did not hurt but I was VERY surprised.
:biggrin:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Lovely little things! Each time I see these it reminds me of the fourth Harry Potter movie! Haha

Dan Wulf

Arachnopeon
I hope Michael doesn't mind that I use his thread for an ID question.

Well - I found two of these Amblypygides in Tamil Nadu, India. Any suggestions regarding genus/species are most welcome. If needed I could make an attempt to get some close-ups.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368461750.976109.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368461880.900003.jpg

Both of them were found under a +30kg rock.

Last edited:

Dan Wulf

Arachnopeon
Hi Nir,

I'm not sure whether you ask me or Michael (Banshee05).

I use cork bark and no fancy treatments - just a brief rinse with 50ºC water before use.

Last edited:

Dan Wulf

Arachnopeon
Cork bark is produced by the cork oak (Quercus suber) and the tree is the primary source of most cork products, including wine bottle stoppers. Cork oak primarily grow in countries along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, including Portugal, Algeria, Spain, Morocco, France, Italy and Tunisia.

I assume that most users here will purchase their cork bark from local pet shops. Here in Denmark the price is typically 10-15 USD/kg. I suggest that you check your local pet shop and ask.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All about Israel almost impossible to get that if manage to get four pieces are 300 NIS (about $ 85)