Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
i can say what it is not ;)
no charon, no heterophrynus or other phrynidae... damon or phrynichus spp.
for the rest I need more details.
What details? Did you notice the photo of the spine structure? Those are on the female, the male's spines are similar but reduced. It's a large species but not nearly as big as Damon diadema and the most interesting feature is the males have wide, fat chlicerae (palps are elongate too of course). If you look at the hands there's no large basal spine as in Damon or Phrynichus so it can't be either. Euphrynichus is more likely, do you have a key to species in that genus?

Last edited:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
interesting. Thanks! I am just now starting to get into the Amblypygi, so the head's up is most appreciated. :) What did you notice that helped ID him? I love your collection, by the by!

---------- Post added 11-24-2012 at 07:37 AM ----------

no, just him. :) he came from a local member.
experience :) and the fact that batesii did not have elongated palps, just longicornis males, BUT I cannot say it for sure, I need to know where they are from- I just guessed that they are from guyana shield, like all other heterophrynus in the last years.

Well im happy to hear you are so dedicated to these awesome inverts. You should start importing some babies to the states :).
hehe, if you tell me a safe, quick and legal way :)

What details? Did you notice the photo of the spine structure? Those are on the female, the male's spines are similar but reduced. It's a large species but not nearly as big as Damon diadema and the most interesting feature is the males have wide, fat chlicerae (palps are elongate too of course). If you look at the hands there's no large basal spine as in Damon or Phrynichus so it can't be either. Euphrynichus is more likely, do you have a key to species in that genus?
yes, i noticed this :)
This is not Eupryhnichus, only two species are known from this genus, and both have complete different spination on the palps!
As I said, Damon spp. or maybe Phrynichus spp. make clear shots of the femur, tibia and basitarsus of the palps, and the carapax, then we can discuss more in detail. I will not give a guess...

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
spines.JPG This is the male close-up. Can you give a reference to a single Damon species with no spines here?
This is not Eupryhnichus, only two species are known from this genus, and both have complete different spination on the palps!
As I said, Damon spp. or maybe Phrynichus spp. make clear shots of the femur, tibia and basitarsus of the palps, and the carapax, then we can discuss more in detail. I will not give a guess...
I don't know what you mean by carapax, we have the word carapace which normally just means the upper surface of the prosoma. carapaxpossibly.JPG

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Did you notice you have a third species name on your photos other than the ones Weygoldt lists?
Euphrynichus alluaudi (Simon, 1936)
Euphrynichus bacillifer (Gerstaecker, 1873)

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes I NOTICE
alluauadi is a syn. of amanica!!
I never posteda alluaudi species, just some amanica males :)

---------- Post added 11-26-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

http://www.schweizerbart.de/publica...Karsch_1879and_iEuphyrynichus_i_Weygoldt_1995
Banshee do you have this paper on Phrynichus and Euphrynichus? It's very expensive, around $100 before shipping for 65 black and white pages. I'd loved to just see page 5.
page 5 is only a small key for subgroups ;)
i can tell you that it is not a euphrynichus. maybe damon or phrynichus exopthalmus or so... without a dead specimen and locality it is just a guess.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wonder if there is anyone near you that exports to the states. Maybe that would be a way to spread those awesome species around.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
These are all making me uber-jealous, if only we could get half of those species over here. I need to make myself feel better by posting more pictures of my exotic phasmids in front of Americans who cant have them :p

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks. Do you know the generic character/s that separates Euphrynichus from Phrynichus?
euphrynichus has NO spine on the FEMUR, instead 2-3 bacilliform processes! this is visible with your eyes. And Phrynichus has many spines in most species.

Are you aware of any Damon species missing spines here? View attachment 110495
all Damon spp. have spines, the first ones are from the hand and very large, followed by some smaller ones on the tibia.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Euphrynichus bacillifer 1,0

Phrynichus orientalis 1,0

Phrynichus exophthalamus 0,1

Euphrynichus amanica 1,0

[Phrynichus dhofarensis 1,0

It looks like the E. amanica in your photo has two large spines on the femur, can you please circle the spines in these images of yours that signify Euphrynichus versus Phrynichus? Thank you.
This species lacks the spine in the circled area which seems to be present on all your Phrynichus except your P. exopthalmus and Euphrynichus images.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ahh...

differences between bacillifer and amanica

D.tibialis

P.orientalis

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. Paraphrynus sp. 2. Prynichus sp? 3. Phrynus sp..

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Vlad,

I am not sure about the second one, it has the "Phrynichid hand" of the pedipalp, and I am not that knowledgeable on whip spiders. User Banshee knows a lot about these animals, and he could give you more information. You might want to wait untill he posts a reaction or you can send him a PM.

Regards, Michiel Cozijn

Vlad68

Arachnopeon
Hi Vlad,

I am not sure about the second one, it has the "Phrynichid hand" of the pedipalp, and I am not that knowledgeable on whip spiders. User Banshee knows a lot about these animals, and he could give you more information. You might want to wait untill he posts a reaction or you can send him a PM.

Regards, Michiel Cozijn
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the useful information.

Regards, Vlad

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
the second one is E.bacillifer!!
the first one Paraphrynus robustus (Maybe cubensis), and the last one looks like P.margenimemacualtus, I am still not sure about all Phrynids from Cuba, they have a lot, but is looks so... anyway, nice ones!

Vlad68

Arachnopeon
Hi,
the second one is E.bacillifer!!
the first one Paraphrynus robustus (Maybe cubensis), and the last one looks like P.margenimemacualtus, I am still not sure about all Phrynids from Cuba, they have a lot, but is looks so... anyway, nice ones!
Hi,
Many thanks for the help!
For more exact definition, photos are necessary still?

Regards, Vlad