Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Does anyone here know anything about aussie species? Or know anyone who has done work on them and may have some field experience?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
here you have some literature...
HARVEY, M. S. & P. L. J. WEST. 1998. New species of Charon (Amblypygi, Charontidae) from Northern Australia and Christmas Island. Journal of Arachnology, 26: 273-284.
WILSON, C. 2002. Threatened species of the northern territory: Oenpelli whip scorpion Charon oenpelli. Northern Territory Government: 1-3.

the following species are known (Harvey, 2003):
Charinus pescotti Dunn, 1949
Charon gervaisi Harvey & West, 1998
Charon oenpelli Harvey & West, 1998
Charon trebax Harvey & West, 1998

____
HARVEY, M. S. 2003. Catalogue of the smaller Arachnid Orders of the World (Amblypygi, Uropygi, Schizomida, Palpigradi, Ricinulei and Solifugae). pp.385.
Dunn, R.A. (1949). New Pedipalpi from Australia and the Solomon Islands. Memoirs of the National Museum of Victoria 16: 7–15.
HARVEY, M. S. & P. L. J. WEST. 1998. New species of Charon (Amblypygi, Charontidae) from Northern Australia and Christmas Island. Journal of Arachnology, 26: 273-284.

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
I've got

which is a great read, do you what paper concerns our Charinus sp?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
"do you what..."
know/have/read? what do you mean.
All whips from Australia are just distributed in the northern parts, or in Islands... nowhere elese ever documented.
But it would not wonder if you will some endimic species in caves with river systems, which doesn't dry out to often...

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
i have no idea what i meant to say there lol. Turns out friends have seen them locally so they will be keeping their eyes open for me :)

PaleoLisa

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the great pics! I was just trying to identify mine and think I have now.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the great pics! I was just trying to identify mine and think I have now.
You mean that you have found a picture of one of Michaels' whip spiders that is comparable to your specimen....You have not identified it, trust me :) All I can say about your picture in your thread is that your whip spider looks like a Damon species.

cheers, Michiel

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice species, Michael!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really wish I could find a Acanthophrynus coronatus here in the states. Do you have any more pictures of yours as I really would like to see the full size of one of these.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Philippines special part I
Charon cf.grayi Panay

Charon cf.grayi Sohoten cave-Samar

Charon cf.grayi Santol cave-Luzon

Charon cf.grayi Puning cave-Bulacan

Last edited:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Philippines special part II + SE Asia Sarax spp.
Sarax cf.brachydactylus Luzon I

Sarax cf.brachydactylus Luzon II

Sarax sp. Puning cave-Luzon

Sarax sp. nov. Panay

Sarax sp. Bali

Sarax sp. Lombok

Sarax yayukae

Sarax sp. Cebu

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! The Sarax king strikes again! Nice pics Michael, made me even drool a bit :)

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
banshee said:
Sarax sp. nov. Panay
ID: Sarax sp. nov. Panay = Sarax curioi Giupponi and Miranda, 2012

Giupponi, A. P. d. L. and G. S. d. Miranda (2012). "A new species of Sarax Simon, 1892 from the Philippines (Arachnida: Amblypygi: Charinidae)." Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 84(1): 165-173.

Phrynichus ceylonicus

Damon tibialis

Phrynichus orientalis

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Philippines special part I
Charon cf.grayi Panay

Charon cf.grayi Sohoten cave-Samar

Charon cf.grayi Santol cave-Luzon

Charon cf.grayi Puning cave-Bulacan
Juveniles I think? I'm wondering if the Samar cave specimen does have troglobitic adaptations, ea. lighter pigmentation, longer legs yet of the same breeding population as of that forest specimen.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, they are adult-they can reproduce in this size!
adaptions: hmm maybe, but I do not think so... till now I have no dead specimen to check it...