Alternatives to Cork Bark in Amblypygids Enclosures

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for all the information about using styrofoam! I've kept and bred Damon diadema for the past few years and have generally been successful with them, but whenever I have juveniles, there is inevitably a fair amount of loss due to cannibalism. With the big glass tanks and cork bark slabs I've been using, I just don't have the space to adequately separate the juveniles - and even finding cork bark that will fit into small enclosures can be difficult. They aren't horrible to keep communally - at least when they're small - but somewhere around the sub-adult mark, they sometimes start munching on each other. I also didn't realize they could successfully molt from a vertical backing - I've always angled the bark. I'll definitely have to give some of these other options a try!

One thing that *doesn't* work is palm tree branches! The ends of the branches (where they connect to the trunk) are nice and flattish and can be cut to small sizes, so they seemed like they'd be good - not to mention they're plentiful and free here in SoCal - but they're just a little too slippery. They worked ok for just climbing around on, but I lost a sub-adult whip once because, after a perfect molt, she apparently slipped and fell. The molt was still hanging from the wood, but I found her dead on the bottom of the enclosure.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glad the styro is working for everyone. I'm assuming the OP was referring to the pet store variety of cork bark and not cork in general so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've been using the 12 x12 cork tiles that I buy at Menards for about 9 bucks for 4 of them, a little more expensive than the styro but I like the natural look. The stuff I use is about 1/4" thick so when I put it at an angle it sags a bit but not too much. I've also use the thinner and lighter (in color) for my babies in the 32 oz deli cups but it sags too much for bigger pieces. I've been using stuff for several years now with many of my inverts and I love it.

I do like those containers though, right now my adults are in cheeseball containers and while I do like them it seems like a lot of wasted space since they never leave the cork. I'm going to see if I can find some at target.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Glad the styro is working for everyone. I'm assuming the OP was referring to the pet store variety of cork bark and not cork in general so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've been using the 12 x12 cork tiles that I buy at Menards for about 9 bucks for 4 of them, a little more expensive than the styro but I like the natural look. The stuff I use is about 1/4" thick so when I put it at an angle it sags a bit but not too much. I've also use the thinner and lighter (in color) for my babies in the 32 oz deli cups but it sags too much for bigger pieces. I've been using stuff for several years now with many of my inverts and I love it.

I do like those containers though, right now my adults are in cheeseball containers and while I do like them it seems like a lot of wasted space since they never leave the cork. I'm going to see if I can find some at target.
I was actually at menards the other day looking at those tiles and wondering how they would do, so your 2 cents is much appreciated!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was actually at menards the other day looking at those tiles and wondering how they would do, so your 2 cents is much appreciated!
There are no Menard's in my area, but I wonder if these are the same as the 12 x 12 cork tiles sold at Hobby Lobby?

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
There are no Menard's in my area, but I wonder if these are the same as the 12 x 12 cork tiles sold at Hobby Lobby?

I would think so, but I don't know. I have both in my area (kind of) and I would love to investigate if I get some free time, but I work a lot and have three kids so free time is a rare commodity :) Plus I have to be sneaky if I go to hobby lobby cuz my wife would get pissed. Something about them hating gays or something? Haha I don't really remember. Anyway, if I get a chance I'll check it out cuz I'm curious too.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

My concerns were that they may have used some sort of glue in the manufacture of the tiles. I contacted the manufacturer of the ones I used and they said no. I am guessing they are all made the same way (probably in the same plant and packaged for different companies) but I am not sure. I don't have any packages laying around but they are Quartet brand. they make a darker 3/8" and a lighter 1/8". I know I've gotten the lighter ones at Walmart but they don't carry the darker ones. According to my quick search of cork tiles at hobby lobby I see the brand is flipside (at least at the online store) I contacted them to see what they say. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Totally agree! :)
I'll have to watch that. Right now I have a dozen 4 instars in an enclosure and they are fine but I may separate them out just to be safe. I set them up to test the communal theory but I'm not sure I want to risk it. Funny thing is the 12 I have in the communal tank are bigger than the ones I separated out as babies. They are molting at the same time so its not like they are growing faster, just bigger.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cork roll.jpg dark cork panel.jpg light cork panel.jpg
According to my quick search of cork tiles at hobby lobby I see the brand is flipside (at least at the online store) I contacted them to see what they say. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.
Thank you, looking forward to hearing more about it!
Edit: I found some pictures of the Hobby Lobby packaging I had taken a while back. They're not great pictures but the brand name and some other details are visible.

Last edited:

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Fairly new to amblypygids (have had mine for 6 weeks) but I've had some success with blank needlepoint canvas, which isn't too pricey. One advantage is that it's really easy to shape (if you want to get creative). I bent mine into an arch and my tailless whip scorp seems to enjoy crawling up on it. She molted successfully hanging upside down from under the arch.

Also made a piece into a Möbius strip (because I'm a nerd) but she didn't seem to like it too much...

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Canvas... Now that's a material I haven't tried yet... How rigid is it? Can in retain its shape after bending or does in need to be held in place by some adhesive?
Might not be 100% perfect for Amblypygi, but potentially good for other things like katydids that are known for molting problems.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
I usually secure the ends to a piece of wood with a staple gun.
image.jpeg
Here's another shot of the material.
image.jpeg
Not a perfect material, though. My tailless whip scorp occasionally gets confused when she senses the cricket through the holes of the canvas but it's crawling on the other side.

I'm going to try the styrofoam idea with my next amblypygid enclosure soon because a friend caught me one outside his house.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
It was caught outside in Phoenix, AZ. Seems to be Paraphrynus spp but I'm not sure the exact species. Once I pick it up from the friend, I'll take some better pictures.
image.jpeg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
image.jpeg Second molt in a styrofoam-backed enclosure for me. Seems to have gone well!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had an adult female Heterophrynus batesii (Giant Peruvian Tailless Whip Scorpion) molt on cork bark that was 6 inches wide. Two of her walking legs are now slightly curved instead of straight. Am I correct in assuming the cork bark was not wide enough for her to fully extend her legs after molting so they hardened in a curved way?

Last edited: