Alternatives to Cork Bark in Amblypygids Enclosures

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damon are very very compact animals. Because I need to utilize space efficiently, I do not keep them in anything larger than 15cmx15cmx18cm. They are fine with this size
In such a small setup, do you use water dishes, or rely on misting for hydration?
do you use springtails and/or isopods as a cleanup crew in enclosures of that size?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I never use a water dish for Amblypygi, they try to avoid contact with water. I mist very occasionally, once a week or every other week. I have seen them *actively* drinking only a handful of times, and only in Acanthophrynus and Heterophrynus species.
The main issue with these small setups is fungus/mold that spreads on the bottom substrate. I keep small isopods as a cleanup crew (not sure of the species, a local one from Canada) to keep the fungus at bay. Sprintails and predatory mites show up in all my enclosures eventually, I do not add them.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never use a water dish for Amblypygi, they try to avoid contact with water. I mist very occasionally, once a week or every other week. I have seen them *actively* drinking only a handful of times, and only in Acanthophrynus and Heterophrynus species.
The main issue with these small setups is fungus/mold that spreads on the bottom substrate. I keep small isopods as a cleanup crew (not sure of the species, a local one from Canada) to keep the fungus at bay. Sprintails and predatory mites show up in all my enclosures eventually, I do not add them.
That is very helpful information, thank you! May I ask how you ventilate such enclosures? I am planning on setting up several enclosures based on your methods soon...I hope you don't mind all of the questions.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
That is very helpful information, thank you! May I ask how you ventilate such enclosures? I am planning on setting up several enclosures based on your methods soon...I hope you don't mind all of the questions.
Maybe this will help to clarify things:

As you can see, a very minimalist custom-made setup. Ventilation is provided via a metal mesh on the right side of the lid.
By the way, the back wall here is not styrofoam. It is plastazote, high density foam. It does not work as well as styrofoam for all amblypygid species.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe this will help to clarify things:

As you can see, a very minimalist custom-made setup. Ventilation is provided via a metal mesh on the right side of the lid.
By the way, the back wall here is not styrofoam. It is plastazote, high density foam. It does not work as well as styrofoam for all amblypygid species.
That is very helpful, thank you! Now I know that a fairly small screened area at the top is sufficient (no need for cross-venting). As it happens I was also curious about other types of foam, too, so that was great bonus information. Thank you again.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Now I know that a fairly small screened area at the top is sufficient (no need for cross-venting).
That is a wise comment. I feel that cross-venting might be a bit of an overkill, reducing the air humidity inside the enclosure. For tropical species that require no less than 80% humidity this is surely the case. But I might be wrong about this for other species. That is why constant monitoring of the whip spider's behavior is needed. If it spends too much time on the substrate at the bottom, it might suggest that the humidity level is too low.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Wow, this thread is so helpful! I can't wait too get some ambly species! The way you set yours up makes such a cool display too!

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
You understood correctly - it is just like having a styrofoam wall. It might not work for ALL species, that is why I am still testing. Works well for Euphrynichus bacillifer, Damon, Heterophrynus batesii and Acanthophrynus. So far no damage to exoskeleton has been recorded, on the contrary, damaged specimens (ones with broken legs and missing whips) were able to molt successfully and regenerate limbs without issues.
My favorite enclosures so far are this type: http://www.rothoshop.ch/en/tag/loft/Premiumdose-LOFT-3-2l-transp-rot.html
Excellent material, I customize them. However, they are not suitable for huge specimens like adult Heterophrynus or Acanthoprhynus.
I tried to order one of those containers and I was having a hard time entering my U.S. shipping address. I might have just been doing it wrong. I emailed them about it. Anyway, in the mean time I decided to scour Amazon and found this http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-18..._UL160_SR111,160_&refRID=1K9866Y07C1GHMZZKDBW Seems to be a similar size, shape, and material. You think it would work well? I could be missing something. If so, this might be easier for people in the U.S., especially since everyone uses Amazon anyway.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I do not want to cause false advertizing here. Any food container can work as an enclosure, provided that it is tall and wide enough. The differences between the types of boxes are usually how sealed they are (does not matter because you cut holes for ventilation), and the plastic's transparency. The boxes I use have great visibility, but they are hard to find in North America, and expensive. You can find similarly sized boxes for a fraction of that price.
I bet you can find hundreds of similar containers on Amazon. The best approach is to look for a photo that clearly shows whether the plastic is clear or transparent white. It is also important to pay attention to the lid - boxes that snap close or require applied force to be opened can cause stress to your animal.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I do not want to cause false advertizing here. Any food container can work as an enclosure, provided that it is tall and wide enough. The differences between the types of boxes are usually how sealed they are (does not matter because you cut holes for ventilation), and the plastic's transparency. The boxes I use have great visibility, but they are hard to find in North America, and expensive. You can find similarly sized boxes for a fraction of that price.
I bet you can find hundreds of similar containers on Amazon. The best approach is to look for a photo that clearly shows whether the plastic is clear or transparent white. It is also important to pay attention to the lid - boxes that snap close or require applied force to be opened can cause stress to your animal.
I hadn't thought about the lid thing. Hard to test out when ordering online though. I think I'm going to order the one I posted the link to. I'll post on here whether the lid is appropriate or not in case anyone else wants to order it. I don't want to advertise for any specific product either, but it actually was kinda hard for me to find something that fits the criteria, or at least seems to. I've been looking in department stores the past couple of days too.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll post on here whether the lid is appropriate or not in case anyone else wants to order it. I don't want to advertise for any specific product either, but it actually was kinda hard for me to find something that fits the criteria, or at least seems to. I've been looking in department stores the past couple of days too.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Thank you, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.
The container came in today. I'm surprisingly pleased with the lid. It's pretty flexible rubber and isn't too hard to peel off without too much force as long as you're careful. It does require some care to close it without any kind of snapping or anything that results in sudden jerking of the container, but I definitely wouldn't call it hard to do. I'm a little disappointed that there are vertical grooves (I guess you would call them) on both sides

I was under the impression from the pictures that those were only on one side. I can live with that though.

The transparency of the plastic is pretty good. not quite as good as glass, but way better than transparent white.

There are little cup amount markings on the sides if that bothers you. doesn't bother me.

Other than that, it did arrive kind of scuffed up. almost like it was used. At first I was pretty pissed and was going to return it. Then I realized that the scuffs could be rubbed off, although not very easily. Overall I plan on giving it a go with my first whipspider while I continue the search for something more perfect.

Attachments

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, yes, the images came through at the end of the post, not in the text, but that works. thanks for the additional details about the container!

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
No problem. If I run into any unexpected problems with it I'll post about it here.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damon are very very compact animals. Because I need to utilize space efficiently, I do not keep them in anything larger than 15cmx15cmx18cm. They are fine with this size, not exactly the wandering type of Amblypygi.
@wizentrop, I am looking forward to setting up my Damon diadem in containers like yours, with the Styrofoam background. I know that you have mentioned that they molt quite successfully in the 15cm x 15cm x 18 cm containers, and I do not doubt it. I am just curious about this: I had understood that, in order to molt, an amblypygid needed sufficient clearance below the molting platform for it to exit the old skin and to spread its whips. A large adult D. diadema wouldn't be able to spread its whips in a container of the above dimensions, so I must have misunderstood the molting process. Would you please shed some light on this subject of molting in a small container?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I set up two containers using the method that @wizentrop uses. I used the Rubbermaid containers that @Nick H found on Amazon. (I found mine at a local Target for $9.99).
Here is a video of my setups:

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice video! Interesting that you are using Chiffon to cover the holes on the lid.
I use it for isopods and millipedes...the fungus gnats don't seem to be able to get through it, so I figured I'd use it with my whiplings. :)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use it for isopods and millipedes...the fungus gnats don't seem to be able to get through it, so I figured I'd use it with my whiplings. :)
That is a great idea. :) What type of tape is that? Have you tried hot glue to hold it in place instead of tape?