alligator snapping turtle

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I was younger I use we use to hunt these things and sell the meat. I know I was stupid. Anyway, There were those that would put up a bit of a chase. They are not fast on land so not a real threat. And if they get a hold of you they will do damage.
As far as being mean they are not. you can drag one up on the bank and if you let it it will run for the water and do everything to avoid you. They like any other animal will defend itself and like said if it gets a grip you may lose something. But as far as them being evil mean they are not at all and will do all they can to avoid a fight.
I dont see why anyone would want one but alot of people think that about my spiders.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that snapper is huge. how much did it weigh? i seen a 25 pounder that was slightly smaller, but pretty close to that.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just wondering if anyone has realized that this thread is 3 years old.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is so funny, I was looking up care sheets about gator snappers myself. I might be tempted to get one in the future if they don't require the vast amounts of space most people say they do. They sound easy enough to maintain, as long watch out for their teeth! They sure look cool!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is so funny, I was looking up care sheets about gator snappers myself. I might be tempted to get one in the future if they don't require the vast amounts of space most people say they do. They sound easy enough to maintain, as long watch out for their teeth! They sure look cool!
Just keep in mind the less space you give them, the more you're gonna be cleaning it {D

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yup. but the pics were posted yesterday, so figured i'd give it a shot :eek:
She was about probably 40 ish thats an old picture so I cant give you an exact number She stays in a pond about 30 yards long 20 wide and 50 feet deep on a friends property She actually used to stay in my house but not anymore

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She was about probably 40 ish thats an old picture so I cant give you an exact number She stays in a pond about 30 yards long 20 wide and 50 feet deep on a friends property She actually used to stay in my house but not anymore
...next time get a pool ;P

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Imo, if careful enough and plan it out. I've kept common snappers. That one in the baby pool is is the baby snapper position! The babies don't bite, start biting when they get a little bigger. A friend of mine that lived next to "the creek" would keep big ones in a baby pool, they were cool to watch. Our parents did worry a little but we all still have our fingers.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi everyone. i normally stick to the scorpion section but this thread sucked me in:p

alligator snappers are very very lethargic and rarely leave the water. often times only to mate. as far as biting goes the alligator snapper is reputed to have the second strongest biting force in the entire animal kingdom. if you were to get bit by a small one, it could easily take your finger off. an adult could take your wrist or ankle off, mind you you would have to be really irritating it and be dumb enough to get that close. the necks can extend a little more than half its body length if i recall. the biggest concern with this would be finding someone to carefore it after you die since it will almost certainly outlive you. the lifespan being an average of 150-180 yrs. if you have the money and the room for it, i would say go for it just remember that it is not a "pet" in the standard definition, it is a wild animal and while it won't likely actively try to harm you, if you make the wrong move even once you could be hospitalized.

i know a lot of this was covered already and wanted add i bit more. i wish you the best of luck should you decide to buy the animal.

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so heres two pics of an adult common snapper that I came across today The second of which I just couldnt resist Who could say no to a smile like that

OK there is a prob with the first pic so Ill just post the second

it was released back into a nearby pond I found it in the road about it was about 2.5' wide

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the necks can extend a little more than half its body length if i recall.
The common snapping turtle can extend its neck quite far. The alligator snapping turtle cannot do this. In fact, you can pick up a large alligator snapper by carefully grasping the carapace directly behind the head. From this position, the alligator snapper will not be able to bite you. If you tried this with a common snapper you would most certainly get bitten.

And while I have a healthy respect for the biting power of both common and alligator snappers, I'm not convinced that either of these animals is capable of biting off hands and feet as some people have implied. I have no doubt that the bite could potentially cause some serious damage to tissues, muscles, tendons, etc, but completely sever the limb? I'm not so sure.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The common snapping turtle can extend its neck quite far. The alligator snapping turtle cannot do this. In fact, you can pick up a large alligator snapper by carefully grasping the carapace directly behind the head. From this position, the alligator snapper will not be able to bite you. If you tried this with a common snapper you would most certainly get bitten.

And while I have a healthy respect for the biting power of both common and alligator snappers, I'm not convinced that either of these animals is capable of biting off hands and feet as some people have implied. I have no doubt that the bite could potentially cause some serious damage to tissues, muscles, tendons, etc, but completely sever the limb? I'm not so sure.
you might be right about completely severing the limb. but in the case of a serious bite from an adult alligator snapper the would probably need to amputate the limp at any cost do the severity of the damage

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. 1. Snappers are ambush predators. They aren't going to chase you around your backyard.
2. They are fairly messy eaters and eat A LOT so prepare your wallet for a very good filtration system and for the amount of food you will be buying. Some will take things other than live fish as long as you start them early but you will have to target/tong feed if it's not moving.
3. In the event of a bite, larger individuals will do a lot of damage. If you want to handle while they're young (and while a normal man can pick them up {D ), the safe method is picking them up by the tail and support the very back of the shell (NOT around the mid section).
4. Make sure to put a fence around your pond and signs up to prevent curious neighbors from harassing your turtle and ending up injured. (Usually the Beware of Dog signs are good enough.. Beware of giant turtle is just asking for it :D )
5. They inhabit our lakes here so freshwater is perfectly fine
Holding by the tail can cause damage to the spinal cord. The method you suggested is probably ok, but here is a tried and tested one.
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...-chelydra-serpentina-and-other-large-turtles/

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thus the qualifier that your method may be ok(indeed i've heard of others doing the same).

How big is the largest snapper you've handled then?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thus the qualifier that your method may be ok(indeed i've heard of others doing the same).

How big is the largest snapper you've handled then?
It was just barely 15lbs. Haven't had the opportunity to actually handle a larger turtle. It depends on the person holding the turtle on what method you should use. I'm a small person so I can't support a turtle using that method for as long as say an average sized man could. If you feel you can support the weight, do it. If you can't, try another method.