alligator snapping turtle

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i saw one in a pet store for a little more than Php5500 ($100US). im really intent on buying it. any special care needed for it? i know they grow BIG:eek: but how big exactly? right now its about 6 inches more or less. coukd i feed it anything other than fish?:confused: :? :confused: thanks!!!!!!!!!!{D

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These things get freakin huge like over 200pounds and can bite ur arm off like butter, i dont reccomend one of these guys.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There's on on display at a store here that is estimated to be well over 100 years old and is nearly 4' long from nose to tail. You may want to reconsider. ;)

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what

those things are awsome i would love to get one...who needs a dog..usally the setups i have seen for them are outside..more like those out door ponds!!!lilly pads , water reeds...need to be fenced in as well...use brackish water..some use waterfalls as well..but if you use a waterfall make sure there is plenty of room for it to move, they like more still type water and they do need alot of cleaning...they poop like u wouldnt belive...yet i dont recomend these for newbie's...so be carefull..with all that being said..wow they will be something to talk about!!!

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't use brackish water for them at all. I've kept them for a long time and have raised several hatchlings up to the size of trash can lids. I've had them from Missouri all the way down to Mississippi bottoms. They really don't require much more than food and enough water to stay submerged.
They very seldon leave the water, never bask, and don't even swim. They just walk around the bottom. They make a great display animal.
They do have one of the worst bites out there though. Good luck if you decide to get one. Don't keep anything with them that you don't want them to eat.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
maarrrrr said:
when it grows i could transfer it to a farm.
What farm do you think is going to POSSIBLY want this thing? You couldn't put it in a pond, it would kill every fish and waterfowl that would fit in its massive mouth.

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my friend's farm has lots of room to spare. although, a fully grown one does seem very hard to transport..:D i most certainly wouldn't want to lose a limb or a finger.:embarrassed:

ta2edpop,
what kind of water should i use then? any more tips/suggestions?

thanks!

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You COULD get it, but i know i sure as heck wouldnt.

Are you prepared to take care of a trutle that ways 150 pounds or more? a Turtle that could easily snap you in half, and break your arm, or rip it off? Or a turtle that will require and EXTREMELY large enclosure, such as half a backyard-sized-enclosure? It will also need a TON of food daily, large fish, chicken, and other parts of a varied diet. They are also the largest freshwater turtle on earth.

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Forget the alligator snapper

For one thing to care for it properly you would need specialized filteration, fabricated plumbing, and housing appropriate for such an animal. Being a retired herpetologist I can assure you that you do not have what it takes to care for this properly. i have spent 30 years in research with Chelydra serpentina and to some degree this animal. Also, these are protected by United States Law as an endangered species.

These animals have specialized hunting and feeding habits. The cost to feed this animal would be more than one might wish. It will not take non-living food items. It requires live fish only. Additionally, they can strike as fast as any rattle snake with a bite force of upwards of 1000lbs. Put two bovine fermurs in it's mouth and watch it break both in half in one bite. Be sure and update us all as to your condition when you get out of the hospital. if you can write with the other hand.

This is not an animal that can be cared for easily. It is also not a pet in any sense. Forget the turtle and move on to a baby lion. Safer.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
maarrrrr said:
my friend's farm has lots of room to spare. although, a fully grown one does seem very hard to transport..:D i most certainly wouldn't want to lose a limb or a finger.:embarrassed:
You also don't want to be responsible for a potential invasive species. That's even assuming it COULD survive in that environment. They are native to the United States and parts of Canada, and may not be suited to live in warmer regions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligator_snapping_turtle#Distribution_.26_habitat

Please also note that:
It is protected from collection through much of its range. The IUCN lists it as a threatened species, and as of June 14, 2006 it will be afforded some international protection and be listed as a CITES III species, which will put limits on exportation from the United States.[8

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they can strike as fast as any rattle snake with a bite force of upwards of 1000lbs.
I second that i saw this video (on tv) were this idiot found a mid size one, maybe 100poundish, he lifted it onto his thigh and was showing off then all of a sudden it strucked out extending its neck twice its length and almost bit his face off lol it was soo close.

I say report this petshop to the local police of wildlife association of sum kind for selling an endangered speicies, actually please do it so it can be shipped back here so it can live in peace.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
aww dude, dont buy it and then hand it off to someone else, thats like my wife dropping off her kid at the closest hospital saying, im sorry i cant take care of my baby, give it up for adoption. thats being inconsiderate, and irresponsible. if you cannot take care of something, dont buy it. sorry i sound rude but seriously, you cannot just give something you bought and hand it off to someone else. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hope someone could post a pic of this creature we're talking about. :)

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alligator Snapping Turtles make wonderful display animals if you have the ability to house them. On average they grow one pound a year so be sure to keep that in mind. They are very sedentary in nature, so a huge pool for one is completely unrealistic in terms of needs or even getting to see your animal. Brackish water is also a no no. These animals prefer calm backwaters and only freshwater. They are not able to handle salty water like a diamond back terrapin or sea turtle could. As to all this talk about them being dangerous goes, well people say it about our eight legged friends all the time. Alligator snappers are not aggressive like their cousins the common snappers. The only time you really need to worry about one being defensive is if it is on land and you are harassing it or it is cornered in the watter and you are harassing it. This is no crocodilian and will not actively go after you, much rather it would prefer to act like a rock and hope you go away. The only thing you need worry about is keeping it healthy and what will happen with it in the long run.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's a bunch more pictures.

http://www.dausettrails.com/snapturtle.jpg <--to give a better idea of how big these monsters get. This one here could probably chomp through a human wrist.

http://www.astfoundation.org/images/snapper3.jpg

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Turtle/turtlelog1.gif I'm pretty sure this is a taxidermied dead specimen, because no way would an actual snapper tolerate this. Note: HUGE

Do not under any circumstances buy this, seriously. These are not pets. These are not your friends. They are dangerous wild animals, protected by law, and should NEVER be released into an environment where they are not native. Period.

EDIT:
Bigboy said:
As to all this talk about them being dangerous goes, well people say it about our eight legged friends all the time.
I'd like to see our "eight legged friends" do half the damage a big animal like this could. :D

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all right I already have a alligator tutle hatchling. I have it in a large tubbaware container. Im thinking about moving it too a large pond so It can grow up there. Im guessing they need freshwater, heavly planted, with varuis logs to bask. Im gonna fence it off too. right now im feeding it worms and fish, what is a more varied diet I can feed it? and For the outside pond im thinking about a powerfull pond filter, does anyone have any recomdention, and how much would it cost?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Given that you're in North Carolina, the environment should at least be right for it. Definitely freshwater. They can and will eat aquatic plants, snakes, other turtles, fish, ducks...anything that fits in their mouths, I'd imagine. Chicken, beef, pork, and rodents are also mentioned as part of captive diet on the Wiki entry.

Be careful with the filter. They are described as living in "slow-moving lakes, streams, or swamps," so some kind of filter should help a still pond. But you don't want it to be so powerful that it disturbs things TOO much.

I still kind of disagree with this whole situation, but at least your setup and plans are much better, jarrell. :) Is this pond in your backyard? (Also, depending on how big the hatchling is, the fence may be more to keep other animals out. A particularly large bird of prey might try to snatch it, as well.)

Mr_Baker4420

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay some of you are right about some things, but some of you are all together exaggerating. i live in southern louisiana and see these guys all the time. you can find them in just about any marsh, swamp, or ditch here. they eat fish mostly. they can't extend their necks twice the length of their bodies. if they could it would be impossible to pick them up, and believe people pick them up. they eat them. i've never eaten one, but i've watched people clean them(aka butcher them) they can extend their necks pretty far but not that far. most people that get bitten by them get bit on the hands and feet. who sticks their torsos or faces by giant turtles? i've never seen nor have i hear of one eating chickens, or cows, or alligators. they just lay on the bottom of a pond, marsh, or bayou and wait for a fish to swim right up to their mouth. that's about the extent of their "specialized hunting tactics". they do have very powerful bites though, and when you cut their heads off they are still capable of biting your fingers and toes off several hours later.