Albino T?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
More thoughts

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that we need this article translated into English... Are there ANY German members of the board who are willing to do this for us? I tried to copy/paste the text from Adobe into an online translator, but for some reason it refused to copy. I'm guessing there's some sort of copyright protection on the document. :?

I'm certain this is a genuine albino-like effect, but because I can't understand the document, I can't pull out any useful information from it. I am guessing that the original spider is still in tact, and no dissection has been done. As I alluded to earlier, there doesn't seem to be any diffractive patterns on the back of the species in question (it was all black as an adult in the picture I googled up), so I doubt it will get any diffractive colour later in life.

As far as two spiderlings from the same sac, they are siblings, or 1/2 siblings. That means that they share DNA and a genetic heritage. Albinos can be breed into a lineage of albinos (think mice) and can also arise independently as a mutation. Given the sheer number of offspring which arise from Tarantulas, it is surprising that these types of random mutations don't come up more often: more kids equals more rolls of the random mutation dice - equals higher chances of seeing them every now and again. Also, I know pigment malfunctions arise in mammals as a physical deformity (one green/one brown eye, for example), and I guess something similar could happen in a spider. :?

If I was the person who discovered this, I'd be inbreeding that set of spiderlings, and keeping very close notes. Most albino mutations are recessive, meaning that little white guy needs two malfunctioning genes to get that way. SO all his/her kids will get at least one bad copy of that gene, and mating them further would hopefully get a few more white guys. That would certainly tell us if there was a genetic basis to this.

It would also be interesting to see if the colour re-appeared later in life. There are several developmental changes in pigmentation, including in spiders, which may give us a clue as to the mechanisms going on here.

PhilR:
I respect Volker von Wirth deeply. It's great to know that people are analysing his text, including the amateurs out there. It's at the heart of the scientific method, and a sign of a healthy discussion, to allow everything to be open to question.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that we need this article translated into English... Are there ANY German members of the board who are willing to do this for us? I tried to copy/paste the text from Adobe into an online translator, but for some reason it refused to copy. I'm guessing there's some sort of copyright protection on the document. :?

I'm certain this is a genuine albino-like effect, but because I can't understand the document, I can't pull out any useful information from it. I am guessing that the original spider is still in tact, and no dissection has been done. As I alluded to earlier, there doesn't seem to be any diffractive patterns on the back of the species in question (it was all black as an adult in the picture I googled up), so I doubt it will get any diffractive colour later in life.

As far as two spiderlings from the same sac, they are siblings, or 1/2 siblings. That means that they share DNA and a genetic heritage. Albinos can be breed into a lineage of albinos (think mice) and can also arise independently as a mutation. Given the sheer number of offspring which arise from Tarantulas, it is surprising that these types of random mutations don't come up more often: more kids equals more rolls of the random mutation dice - equals higher chances of seeing them every now and again. Also, I know pigment malfunctions arise in mammals as a physical deformity (one green/one brown eye, for example), and I guess something similar could happen in a spider. :?

If I was the person who discovered this, I'd be inbreeding that set of spiderlings, and keeping very close notes. Most albino mutations are recessive, meaning that little white guy needs two malfunctioning genes to get that way. SO all his/her kids will get at least one bad copy of that gene, and mating them further would hopefully get a few more white guys. That would certainly tell us if there was a genetic basis to this.

It would also be interesting to see if the colour re-appeared later in life. There are several developmental changes in pigmentation, including in spiders, which may give us a clue as to the mechanisms going on here.

PhilR:
I respect Volker von Wirth deeply. It's great to know that people are analysing his text, including the amateurs out there. It's at the heart of the scientific method, and a sign of a healthy discussion, to allow everything to be open to question.
My comment regarding the article wasn't directed at you :)

I know that the specimens I mentioned are being looked at. Again, for obvious reasons, I have to be careful here.

I can read enough of the article to understand the main points, as is the case with most theraphosid papers written in German (the more you read, the more you understand), but my German is certainly not sufficiently fluent to provide a full translation.

DrAce, are you suggesting that I and other spider keepers approach things in an amateur way? I'm deeply hurt ;P {D

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm hurt that you would think that I would imply that, PhilR (I think...) :confused:

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm hurt that you would think that I would imply that, PhilR (I think...) :confused:
I know. Confusing Isn't it :? :D

Seriously though, and back on topic, I'm going to have another read of the Arachne article (must remember to join DeArGe), and see if I can glean any more information on the subject. I may also see if I can have a chat with the owner of the specimens I mentioned if he's around at the moment.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
I don't speak german lol
you also dont read what I wrote either.;) :rolleyes: lol

I would translate the main points in the article, but I am sorry to say I am just too lazy to do so. I will say that the "albino" slings died though, so no breeding was possible of these spiders.
cheers
Chris

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
It's H. incei Phil that has also had "albino" offspring (maybe Martin G's iirc).

Edit here's the link Here

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you also dont read what I wrote either.;) :rolleyes: lol

I would translate the main points in the article, but I am sorry to say I am just too lazy to do so. I will say that the "albino" slings died though, so no breeding was possible of these spiders.
cheers
Chris
The albino spiderling died by itself, or the whole bunch of spiderlings died? That's significant. If that one died by itself then it implies that something rather spectacular was malfunctioning - maybe guanine synthesis was impared, although how it got as far as it did would be an interesting investigation.

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's H. incei Phil that has also had "albino" offspring (maybe Martin G's iirc).

Edit here's the link Here
I know Bill, cheers. I spoke to Ray about it on the phone ages ago. Wasn't sure exactly what was going on with them at the moment, or whether there was an article in progress, so I didn't want to say too much ;)

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
I know Bill, cheers. I spoke to Ray about it on the phone ages ago. Wasn't sure exactly what was going on with them at the moment, or whether there was an article in progress, so I didn't want to say too much ;)
there has already been an article Phil. ;)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it's H. incei Phil that has also had "albino" offspring (maybe Martin G's iirc).
Also other species of Holothele are showing this... I've had quite a few pop up in "NdS" eggsacs.

Eric

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

there has already been an article Phil. ;)
yep, this one:
  • KANZLER, M. (2006): Auftreten einer interessanten Farbvariante von Holothele incei (F.O.P.-CAMBRIDGE, 1898) (Araneae: Theraphosidae). ARACHNE 11(3): 27-29.

Summary:
    Martin Kanzler reports on colour variations he recognized when mating Holothele incei.
    At the end of October 2005 about 20% of the offspring from one eggsac did not show the typical colour patterns. These nymphs were unicoloured pale pink.
all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Would someone be willing to translate the text of the article for us?
:confused:
here is a short summary of this article:
  • VON WIRTH, V. (2003): Ungewöhnliche Farbabweichung bei Nymphen von Cyriopagopus schioedtei (Thorell, 1891). DeArGe Mitteilungen 8(5): 30-31.

Summary:
    After mating Cyriopagopus schioedtei and giving away some of the larvae and praelarvae to some friends, Volker von Wirth and the owners of the spiders discovered an irregular colouring of some of the nymphae: they have been very bright, almost white coloured. Preserved larvae were given to Museum Alexander König (Bonn, Germany) in order to analyse this up to date unique colouring.
    Some clues concerning taxonomical work resulting from this observation are given.

Some years ago I had also an C. schioedtei eggsack with some almost white coloured nymphs I – and they also died before molting into nymph II.
Same happened by another friend of mine (>>photo<< by Joachim Loser, Germany).

all the best,
Martin