Advice on enclosure for metallic pink toe

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
After 2 years of having no tarantulas at all, some friends generously gifted me a metallic pink toe! I had kept one for about a year prior to moving and rehoming all my Ts, so I tried to replicate the last enclosure I had. I don’t know a lot about arboreal husbandry so I’m looking for some advice and input on making the best possible home for him/her.

It is a Zilla enclosure with a hinged front opening door. I’m using the plastic insert that lays on the top of the screen to encourage higher humidity. I have 2 pieces of bark/driftwood and a medium bark hide. The substrate is EcoEarth and there’s a small natural stone water dish on the substrate. The hygrometer / thermometer is mounted on the side, near some artificial leaves that are hanging from a suction cup. The side is slightly wet because I misted shortly before taking the photos.

A0EDC9C3-6FF6-47EB-8724-97F8E8C97A75.jpeg
8A790A2A-4F84-490C-A9BB-4DFC63B11803.jpeg
40586CED-81A3-45CF-831B-72D2825DF610.jpeg 8D6C4B66-7272-4415-9926-234003EED1AA.jpeg

poizoni

Arachnopeon
A common mistake when keeping this species is worrying about humidity, and thats caused many people to have unexpected deaths with their avics... They can thrive with dry substrate and a full water dish, and will probably be a lot more comfortable that way. Also in the photo you provide the tarantula is near the top corner because its an arboreal species, meaning they live in high places like trees. It would be best to provide a lot more cover for them to web on and hide in towards the top. One more thing, the screen lid is dangerous because they can get the hooks on their feet stuck in it. I would recommend replacing that with acrylic or some other material.
I hope you enjoy keeping tarantulas! And if any other experienced keepers would like to chime in that would be appreciated

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Trying to maintain humidity for an Avicularia is more likely to lead to the Tarantula's death than it is to lead to successful keeping.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation is the key.

More clutter at the top (leaves, cork bark, etc.) will be good.

Try reading this thread for Avicularia care:

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396
I can take the plastic cover off the top to give it more air, but this enclosure has ventilation holes across the top where the foam backing is, as well as across the front below the hinged door. Are those two openings sufficient or should I remove the plastic from the screen top?

that thread talks a lot about smaller Ts and slings but mine is a decent size. Since I’m not building in a deli cup, How do I go about getting sticks and other cover closer to the top that are suitable for an avic with a 3” or larger leg span? The sides are glass and apart from tilting the bark upwards, how do you secure cover against glass? Can I use hot glue? More artificial plants with suction cups like I have on one side of the tank?

Last edited:

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
A common mistake when keeping this species is worrying about humidity, and thats caused many people to have unexpected deaths with their avics... They can thrive with dry substrate and a full water dish, and will probably be a lot more comfortable that way. Also in the photo you provide the tarantula is near the top corner because its an arboreal species, meaning they live in high places like trees. It would be best to provide a lot more cover for them to web on and hide in towards the top. One more thing, the screen lid is dangerous because they can get the hooks on their feet stuck in it. I would recommend replacing that with acrylic or some other material.
I hope you enjoy keeping tarantulas! And if any other experienced keepers would like to chime in that would be appreciated
I kept mainly terrestrial tarantulas for about 2 years. I had only one avic and she was old and very large.

i haven’t had any Ts since 2018, and this is my only T at this time so I want to be certain I’m doing the best possible job for her.

since the sides of the tank are glass, how would I get cover up high for her? I can put more sticks in for her, but she’s got a fairly wide legspan and narrow long sticks probably wouldn’t do it for her? I’m open to adding more things for her, but I don’t know what or how to position it... I’ve watched some YouTube videos on creating habitats for arboreals, but most of them are fairly small enclosures for smaller T’s. Mine is 14” tall x 8 inches wide/length and the Avic has a 3” leg span at least.

Last edited:

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I don't see any water dish at all.
I didn’t capture it in the photos but I have a natural stone water dish lying on the substrate. She hasn’t ventured down to the ground that I’ve observed but I haven’t been watching her 24/7. Should I get a raised water dish that suctions to the glass?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't speak for Zilla products, only ExoTerra. - but in both cases a screen top is BAD.

I remove the foam backing for more space, and drop flat cork from I think ZooMed, in instead. You can put zip ties into it and use those as anchor points for plants.

Hot glue is fine, so are suction cups.

You should be keeping your Avic dry, or you are are going to kill it. You have some of the hallmarks of someone that doesn't know enough about Avics and will end up killing it by accident.

See my link below

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Can't speak for Zilla products, only ExoTerra. - but in both cases a screen top is BAD.

I remove the foam backing for more space, and drop flat cork from I think ZooMed, in instead. You can put zip ties into it and use those as anchor points for plants.

Hot glue is fine, so are suction cups.

You should be keeping your Avic dry, or you are are going to kill it. You have some of the hallmarks of someone that doesn't know enough about Avics and will end up killing it by accident.

See my link below
Why do so many care sheets and sites say that humidity is so important? You and the others here on this thread have said it’s dangerous, so I’ll be modifying my approach to keep things dry. I trust this board more than any care sheets, but it’s super misleading to have them emphasizing humidity if it’s potentially fatal.

Where do you get custom pieces of acrylic made to replace the top screen? I’m looking online and can’t seem to find anywhere that will cut something so small and simple as a 10” square

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why do so many care sheets and sites say that humidity is so important?
Because they are written by IDIOTS. DO NOT believe everything you read on the stupid internet! Caresheets KILL Ts, esp in the hands of new owners like you.

Yes they come from rainforests, NO you can't mimic a rainforest with the proper amount of airflow for Avics, unless you are super savvy engineer. In short, the average person can't do it.

I cut it myself, It's easy to score.

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Because they are written by IDIOTS. DO NOT believe everything you read on the stupid internet! Caresheets KILL Ts, esp in the hands of new owners like you.

I cut it myself, I don't know.It's easy to score.
Ouch.

Ok. Well thanks very much for sharing the knowledge. I had terrestrials for a few years but this is only my second arboreal, so I will be certain to put all this advice into practice. Always looking to learn more. Any further expertise is welcome.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ouch.

Ok. Well thanks very much for sharing the knowledge. I had terrestrials for a few years but this is only my second arboreal, so I will be certain to put all this advice into practice. Always looking to learn more. Any further expertise is welcome.
It's not your fault. You didn't write stupidity for others who don't know better to follow. Not your fault at all, ignorance is fine...willful stupidity is not.

Read my link below. Come back w/specific questions :cool:

There's a gazillion "my Avid is dying" threads...find them, read them so yours is not the next thread like it.

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
It's not your fault. You didn't write stupidity for others who don't know better to follow. Not your fault at all, ignorance is fine...willful stupidity is not.

Read my link below. Come back w/specific questions :cool:

There's a gazillion "my Avid is dying" threads...find them, read them so yours is not the next thread like it.
You said “read my link below” but I’m not seeing anything? Is it in your sig? I’m on mobile so I’m not seeing anything below.

Good suggestion, never thought to read about critical failures in order to find my own success. Definitely will be doing some reading there.

If you know of any YT vids or photos where I can see examples of bigger arboreal tanks that I can try and mimic, I’d definitely be interested to see. Inwhat I’ve found so far, there’s plenty of examples of smaller enclosures for slings but nothing in a bigger scale

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
You said “read my link below” but I’m not seeing anything? Is it in your sig? I’m on mobile so I’m not seeing anything below.

Good suggestion, never thought to read about critical failures in order to find my own success. Definitely will be doing some reading there.

If you know of any YT vids or photos where I can see examples of bigger arboreal tanks that I can try and mimic, I’d definitely be interested to see. Inwhat I’ve found so far, there’s plenty of examples of smaller enclosures for slings but nothing in a bigger scale
Yes in his signature.

If you put your phone into landscape mode it should show up. :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
That amount of moisture/ condensation on the side of the enclosure is likely
Going to kill it...if left unchanged, too much humidity per level of ventilation. Equals stuffy conditions.
Ditch the thermometer/hygrometer you do not need to chase either of those percentage numbers. Keep it on dry substrate with a water dish, some avics don’t drink from dishes, some do. Don’t mist. You can offer water directly to webbing or fake plants used for cover where it hangs out.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Have a taller, single piece of wood extending a few inches short of the lid
You can remove the hide at the bottom, Avics will build hides on the bark
You can keep the other pieces of wood just angled around.
Swap the screen top for Plexiglas (advised - some folks don't)
allow more ventilation
So if that is a 12 x 12 x 18 case find a piece of cork 15-16" tall and 4-5" wide. Lean it in a corner or against the back and your T will move right in. Your view will be obscured but you will have a happy T

My C Versi in her place in a case similar to yours

My Lucy..jpg

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
in reference to the care sheets, many were written before people had them figured out. People had Avics dying and the early response was "not humid enough'. Well it turned out cross ventilation was way more important than humidity and people with Avics in cases without ventilation, and high humidity, were essentially drowning their Ts. The new school of thought is keep the air moving, have a water dish and essentially dry substrate and they do fine, so the humidity concept at this point has been shown to be of little importance, and that air movement is far more important.

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Have a taller, single piece of wood extending a few inches short of the lid
You can remove the hide at the bottom, Avics will build hides on the bark
You can keep the other pieces of wood just angled around.
Swap the screen top for Plexiglas (advised - some folks don't)
allow more ventilation
So if that is a 12 x 12 x 18 case find a piece of cork 15-16" tall and 4-5" wide. Lean it in a corner or against the back and your T will move right in. Your view will be obscured but you will have a happy T

My C Versi in her place in a case similar to yours

My View attachment 360652
Wow!! She’s so beautiful! 😍

I just picked up 2 bigger pieces of cork that I’ve angled aroundand added some more leaves for cover and anchor points. The bigger piece is hollow so she could go inside if she wanted. My T is still hanging out on the glass away from the bark and I’m really looking forward to seeing her explore the new stuff. I haven’t misted or anything and just kept the water dish filled, as per everyone’s instructions. I’ll take a photo tomorrow morning in the light. Hoping this is more suitable and she likes it a lot.