A. sp Ecuador and A. purpurea

Andeee

Arachnopeon
It is my first time keeping an avic and I bought avic ecuador. Do avic Ecuador and purpurea is the same? I'm searching some info about A. Ecuador but A. Purpurea is always showing

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It is my first time keeping an avic and I bought avic ecuador. Do avic Ecuador and purpurea is the same? I'm searching some info about A. Ecuador but A. Purpurea is always showing
If you're asking if they are the same species, then the answer is "not necessarily / not likely".

Avicularia sp "Ecuador" is an undescribed species from Ecuador, while Avicularia purpurea is a described species from Ecuador, may be the same thing , but likely aren't. If the collector/breeder/etc. could match them to the characteristics of Avicularia purpurea then they would be selling them under that species name.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. "Ecuador" has recently been considered by hobbiests as a local form of A. purpurea. Whether they are different species, is a question for scientists, and partly just a matter of semantics/convenience/opinion.
Many organisms exist covering a broad spectrum of morphologies, and how we should divide them into species is a matter of [human] opinion. The only 'official' answer is what the experts currently say in the most recent scientific publications.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
This conversation has been had before, I'm pretty sure. I might be wrong, but Avicularia purpurea was described from individuals found in the northern region of Ecuador, while this new, undescribed, Avicularia sp. Ecuador is from the south. I think I have even seen it described as Avicularia sp. South Ecuador.
That would mean that they could very well be two different locales of the same species, although it should not be assumed that they are. Avicularia is one of the most ubiquitous tarantula genera in the world with countless locales of the same species.
Do not breed this animal to any other Avicularia but the one labeled from the same locale. Even though they are the same species, different locales should never be paired together as it is still creating a hybrid.
I have an Avicularia sp. Colombia, who is very similar to my purpurea, and that species might also be an undescribed Avicularia purpurea locale. There are likely even more locales that we have yet to find.
Care will be the same as any other Avicularia. They are much slower growing than other Avicularia and stay very small, not getting over 4"DLS.

Last edited:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I believe this could help. A. sp "Ecuador" and A. purpurea are mentioned almost at the end of the text.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not the same species yet, treat as different species