A new Hysterocrates species????

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Hysterocrates sp. “Goliath” Project Info Video

Here is a video talking about my project and goals / motivators.
Hysterocrates sp. “Goliath” Project Info Video

Here is a video talking about my project and goals / motivators.
Hey Whitey, I enjoy your videos.
Quite interesting
I agree with the Need for a Urticating Hairless Giant to Rival Theraposa Genus.
Samson lost his great strength with the loss of his hair.
Let this not be so with Hercules or Goliath. lol

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hey Whitey, I enjoy your videos.
Quite interesting
I agree with the Need for a Urticating Hairless Giant to Rival Theraposa Genus.
Samson lost his great strength with the loss of his hair.
Let this not be so with Hercules or Goliath. lol
Until I see proof nothing rivals Theraposa, what videos are they the ones you quoted?
Too bad Hercules is not in the pet trade, because of a hostile area they’re located in.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Until I see proof nothing rivals Theraposa, what videos are they the ones you quoted?
Too bad Hercules is not in the pet trade, because of a hostile area they’re located in.
You are Correct ... Nothing in the Hobby ... Rivals Theraposa.

I was elluding to the search for a Baboon be it Wild or Hybrid that could reach similar size in leg spand with No Urticating Hair.

Just Another Hobbyist's Quest, not mine.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You are Correct ... Nothing in the Hobby ... Rivals Theraposa.

I was elluding to the search for a Baboon be it Wild or Hybrid that could reach similar size in leg spand with No Urticating Hair.

Just Another Hobbyist's Quest, not mine.
Yeah I asked a similar question on this thread I made .

Jimmyboi

Arachnopeon
Without trying to put down anyone's hard work here, the thought of selective breeding in a hobby so focused on conservation feels off. Was this large gene something that existed in the early days of it entering the hobby?

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Without trying to put down anyone's hard work here, the thought of selective breeding in a hobby so focused on conservation feels off. Was this large gene something that existed in the early days of it entering the hobby?
I Agree 100% ... Conservation of the Natural World should be Everones's Priority.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Wholeheartedly agree. It's also worth noting that for many species of vertebrates, breeding for enormous size often results in much shorter lifespans than their smaller counterparts. I don't know if the same applies to invertebrates, but it would be interesting seeing if the larger these spiders get, the shorter their lifespans get.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wholeheartedly agree. It's also worth noting that for many species of vertebrates, breeding for enormous size often results in much shorter lifespans than their smaller counterparts. I don't know if the same applies to invertebrates, but it would be interesting seeing if the larger these spiders get, the shorter their lifespans get.
The biggest one I have is 6 years old and around the 9” mark. I’ve got 3 others at over 8” also 6.

The current gen, were these females bred to an approx 7.5” male - So I’m really excited to see if they exceed the parents, only a few months old and some are huge, 2.5” range. Been tempted to get these to a show to disperse the genes as I know they are going to start cannibalism soon.

Because of the negativity surrounding what I’m doing and or lack of interest, I nearly gave up with it, but maybe I’ll keep pushing and see if I can produce that mythical 10” old world. Someone asked why Hysterocrates, when the genus is such a mess, they breed and grow quicker than most other Old worlds and that’s the important bit, if you were to do this King Baboons, I’d say it would nearly be impossible, what I’ve done in 13 years (raised 4 generations), would have taken 25-30. Which makes Hysterocrates a better spider to selectively breed, even though Pelinobius muticus rivals it.

The only other large Old Worlds of Africa, would be Phoneyusa - But those aren’t in the hobby.
I imagine one day someone may do this with the leggy arboreals, like Poceilotheria, but all my time is invested with this specific genus, of which I am raising hundreds of spiders from different females, I considered selling my normal collection just to hyperfocus. To say it’s a serious undertaking would be an understatement, lot of commitment.

It really doesn’t matter if the genus is a mess, as I gave them a separate name, so they don’t get mixed in with regular Hysterocrates, made a bit of a mistake putting goliathus without the sp. affix before it or quotation marks, as it’s not a natural species - But if I’m honest, I wanted to get the project out there and widely viewed, it was a genuine mistake, which didn’t work in my favour, but I quickly changed that to sp. “Goliath”

So the current name Hysterocrates sp. “Goliath” is what I’m going with. Which makes it stand out, than just saying Hysterocrates sp. gigas “Giant Morph”

Here is Paul doing a comparison of them with regular gigas.

Last edited:

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
The biggest one I have is 6 years old and around the 9” mark. I’ve got 3 others at over 8” also 6.

The current gen, were these females bred to an approx 7.5” male - So I’m really excited to see if they exceed the parents, only a few months old and some are huge, 2.5” range. Been tempted to get these to a show to disperse the genes as I know they are going to start cannibalism soon.

Because of the negativity surrounding what I’m doing and or lack of interest, I nearly gave up with it, but maybe I’ll keep pushing and see if I can produce that mythical 10” old world. Someone asked why Hysterocrates, when the genus is such a mess, they breed and grow quicker than most other Old worlds and that’s the important bit, if you were to do this King Baboons, I’d say it would nearly be impossible, what I’ve done in 13 years (raised 4 generations), would have taken 25-30. Which makes Hysterocrates a better spider to selectively breed, even though Pelinobius muticus rivals it.

The only other large Old Worlds of Africa, would be Phoneyusa - But those aren’t in the hobby.
I imagine one day someone may do this with the leggy arboreals, like Poceilotheria, but all my time is invested with this specific genus, of which I am raising hundreds of spiders from different females, I considered selling my normal collection just to hyperfocus. To say it’s a serious undertaking would be an understatement, lot of commitment.

It really doesn’t matter if the genus is a mess, as I gave them a separate name, so they don’t get mixed in with regular Hysterocrates, made a bit of a mistake putting goliathus without the sp. affix before it or quotation marks, as it’s not a natural species - But if I’m honest, I wanted to get the project out there and widely viewed, it was a genuine mistake, which didn’t work in my favour, but I quickly changed that to sp. “Goliath”

So the current name Hysterocrates sp. “Goliath” is what I’m going with. Which makes it stand out, than just saying Hysterocrates sp. gigas “Giant Morph”

Here is Paul doing a comparison of them with regular gigas.

H. Sp "Goliath" needs to hit the mythical 10 inch mark.
I'm Glad You didn't go with H. Sp "Samson" and the whole losing Hair thing. lol

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. Sp "Goliath" needs to hit the mythical 10 inch mark.
I'm Glad You didn't go with H. Sp "Samson" and the whole losing Hair thing. lol
Believe it or not that was Andrew Smith’s suggestion when I first sent him Hysterocrates sp. Nigeria as potentially a new species back in 2013 - I like the name personally, but Goliath seems synonymous with size. The potential for a Samson type pun is pretty funny though, at worst you’ll get a spider with male pattern baldness, little thinning until the next moult! 😂

These 4th gen of slings are the biggest and leggiest I’ve seen so far, some real giants in here and their proportions look like a pamphobeteous / blondi.

Some around 3” - 4 months old.

IMG_8097.jpeg

I’ve also just had another giant male moult out, this one is unique because it has an 7” or just over legspan but the carapace has come out the widest I’ve seen on a male, it looks almost round, so unique traits are popping up.

IMG_8063.jpeg
IMG_8062.jpeg

He’s from the same generation as the almost 7.5” male I used to make gen 4. Just way later to get his final moult.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Believe it or not that was Andrew Smith’s suggestion when I first sent him Hysterocrates sp. Nigeria as potentially a new species back in 2013 - I like the name personally, but Goliath seems synonymous with size. The potential for a Samson type pun is pretty funny though, at worst you’ll get a spider with male pattern baldness, little thinning until the next moult! 😂

These 4th gen of slings are the biggest and leggiest I’ve seen so far, some real giants in here and their proportions look like a pamphobeteous / blondi.

Some around 3” - 4 months old.

View attachment 467011

I’ve also just had another giant male moult out, this one is unique because it has an 7” or just over legspan but the carapace has come out the widest I’ve seen on a male, it looks almost round, so unique traits are popping up.

View attachment 467014
View attachment 467015

He’s from the same generation as the almost 7.5” male I used to make gen 4. Just way later to get his final moult.
It’s more impressive they start out so huge The size they achieve which is epic!! They grow far faster then Lasiodora parahybana and the males are far larger then the king baboon, which is sometimes considered the biggest baboon spider. I’ve heard of rumors of an 9-10 inch. But with no proof I’d say they get 7-8”…
Lasiodora parahybana slings start at 1/4” I think . And for me, they grow really slow.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Beautiful looking Specimens in My Eye...
Yes I think it best to leave The (Sp "Samson") Descriptor... Relegated To although the Name is not From the New World.
On account of certain Species with the predisposition for the loss of Urticating Hair.
Also ... Biblical Samson May? have been relatively large, His Famous Attribute was Indeed Great Strength.
Biblical Goliath being described as a Giant ...
Let Us not Discuss Roman/Greek Mythology at this time, Suffice to say Many Large Heros to list.
Be Forewarned the story of Goliath does not end well for him, but somehow it seems fitting nonetheless.
Quite A Challenge.
lol

Last edited: