A. Metallica premolt

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Is there a way to know when these guys are in premolt? Someone else said they don't kick hairs because they are underneath the abdomen, and mine has a patch on top of her abdomen right now the last couple days. Not sure why. Plus she wouldn't eat yesterday. Just was really annoyed and she's usually always calm and relaxed.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No.. That is not a sign of premolt..

BTW.. Whoever told you avics can not kick hairs... Their wrong.. They Avics. might not kick hairs ofter or ever.. But they can kick hairs.. They mostly rub their abdomen against whatever they want to transfer their U-hairs to..

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
well I can't say who's right or wrong on that one, you might wanna check the tarantula.us forums with that, the guy is pretty well-known around there who supplied that bit of info. But I'm guessing you're implying that she rubbed it off onto her enclosure? Because you didn't actually say what the patch was. And considering they are dark already how do you tell if they are in premolt? Just by them not eating?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are several ways to tell if a T is in premolt. The bald spot is not one of them, so I am sorry the person who told you that was incorrect, or you have misunderstood something. If the exoskeleton underneath the bald spot is darkened/ black then that is a sign of premolt. If it is lethargic, or refuses food more than one time(how often/ much do you feed?) those are also signs of premolt.

I am sure at this point telling you that an advanced search in the tarantula section with the key words "signs" "premolt" is a moot point, but there are many signs and I myself have posted an exhaustive list at one point.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I can't say who's right or wrong on that one, you might wanna check the tarantula.us forums with that, the guy is pretty well-known around there who supplied that bit of info. But I'm guessing you're implying that she rubbed it off onto her enclosure? Because you didn't actually say what the patch was. And considering they are dark already how do you tell if they are in premolt? Just by them not eating?
The missing patch was obviously rubbed off in the enclosure.. Unless of course you handle it? If you dont.. Then it had to be rubbed off in the enclosure..

The missing patch is not a sign of premolt.. Its a sign of missing U-hairs... That is all.. I have seen a number of NW tarantulas that had kicked/rubbed their U-hairs off.. They were not in premolt.. ;)

As far as telling when one is in premolt.. They dont eat... They have trouble climbing.. They get darker than they already are.. The become lathargic..

Honestly.. T.us is a great forum.. Nice people.. Few knowledgeable..

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Honestly.. T.us is a great forum.. Nice people.. Few knowledgeable..
LMAO I'll keep that in mind. :razz:

Oh and as far as handling the Aic, she's our best T as far as temperament, just yesterday she got a bit annoyed at the feeding attempt and backed off. Not her usual attitude. We've let her out once or twice, and handled her barely. More or less letting her walk the floor and over our hands rather than up high. So yea it definitely had to come off in the enclosure.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
There are several ways to tell if a T is in premolt. The bald spot is not one of them, so I am sorry the person who told you that was incorrect, or you have misunderstood something. If the exoskeleton underneath the bald spot is darkened/ black then that is a sign of premolt. If it is lethargic, or refuses food more than one time(how often/ much do you feed?) those are also signs of premolt.

I am sure at this point telling you that an advanced search in the tarantula section with the key words "signs" "premolt" is a moot point, but there are many signs and I myself have posted an exhaustive list at one point.
Rather than me using the search option you should pay closer attention to the OP. I didn't ask the sign of ANY T premolt... I asked the sign of a particular T in which I've done extensive research on and most are still not really sure as to the exact signs of an Avic premolt. From most Tarantula Boards I've joined many Avic T's molt suddenly on their keepers because of the rare or hard to determine signs. Which is why I asked about mine because of the patch. And as you see people are having their difference of opinion as to Avic habits in general. So yes, throwing the search option is moot.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rather than me using the search option you should pay closer attention to the OP. I didn't ask the sign of ANY T premolt... I asked the sign of a particular T in which I've done extensive research on and most are still not really sure as to the exact signs of an Avic premolt. From most Tarantula Boards I've joined many Avic T's molt suddenly on their keepers because of the rare or hard to determine signs. Which is why I asked about mine because of the patch. And as you see people are having their difference of opinion as to Avic habits in general. So yes, throwing the search option is moot.
The premolt signs are as simple as ANY other arboreal T.. The get darker... They have trouble climbing... They stop eating... They become lathargic.. The seal their little tube webs..

Can I ask why you seem to get offended by someone offering you the search function? Im not picking at you or being rude... Just a simple question.. I figure since I have already answered your OP there is no harm in asking an off topic question.. Is there?

Alot of people offer it on questions that have been asked a number of times.. Do you get offended because the search function is hard to work for you? (Im not trying to pick at you or insult you.. Just a question..)

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Alot of people offer it on questions that have been asked a number of times.. Do you get offended because the search function is hard to work for you? (Im not trying to pick at you or insult you.. Just a question..)
Alot of people offer it because they have absolutely no social life and have no idea how to consult with others. Also, others offer it because they are followers, and if one person tends to be annoying they'll follow suite. There is no need to throw out the search function on every single question or thread presented in this Forum. If you hadn't noticed there are hundreds and hundreds of threads on this Forum, asking questions. Many from the very people saying *use the search option* to others.

Is *try using the search function* thrown at people in every single one of these threads? The answer is no. So to your question once again, yes it's offensive because 98% of the time on this Board, it's used to annoy people rather than help them. It was DEFINITELY not necessary for my question, because you're debating what another person says on another Board and like I stated, they are pretty well known over there as well.

Arachnoboards isn't the All-Knowing of the tarantula world as many here would like people to believe with the *use the search function* crap. An example of this; I used this Boards search function before I bought my LP slings, yet there was hardly anything related to them that was worthwhile. So I went elsewhere.

Now had I posted questions on here concerning LP slings, I'd have gotten the *use the search option* crap from people who just don't have the knowledge and have nothing constructive to add.

The Avic question I took a shot at posting on here, since there is a pretty good debate on the topic of Avics in general.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The premolt signs are as simple as ANY other arboreal T.. The get darker... They have trouble climbing... They stop eating... They become lathargic.. The seal their little tube webs..
There really isn't anything rare or mysterious to signs of premolt if you search and read a lot. Just like Tommy listed.

Not that I promote Wikipedia as a sorce of accurate info, but they do have a nice piece about the different hairs. That way you can learn about them and correct those trying to tell you that Avics don't have them

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticating_hair?wasRedirected=true

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I think most people suggest the search button To eliminate all the "lower T keeping Questions" as most have already been answered and are old news to the "advicee" Because as you become more informed in this HOBBY you pay every detail to your T's. And when you've had more than a few molts you KNOW what pre-molt is..With all the tell-tale signs that T's show.

Why not search? Most if not ALL threads have exstensive information, personal experiences and PICTURES of all the questions being asked daily. If you dont understand, ask.
If you tried searching once and diddnt find it, RETRY.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No.. That is not a sign of premolt..

BTW.. Whoever told you avics can not kick hairs... Their wrong.. They Avics. might not kick hairs ofter or ever.. But they can kick hairs.. They mostly rub their abdomen against whatever they want to transfer their U-hairs to..
True, one of my former A. versicolor was waving her backleg like krazy trying to kick hairs at me when i was chasing her with a cup.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rather than me using the search option you should pay closer attention to the OP. I didn't ask the sign of ANY T premolt... I asked the sign of a particular T in which I've done extensive research on and most are still not really sure as to the exact signs of an Avic premolt.
Since premolt signs are universal for most if not all species, I am unsure what you mean by that. (I haven't had all species, so I can't tell you that from experience.) I have however had an A. metallica and can tell you they act the same in premolt as our other species. A more specific to arboreal species, premolt sign is they will have start to have trouble climbing and you will notice slippage. The difference really is that you will notice it in an arboreal that climbs and not the terrestrial the crawls on the ground. Yet another couple of premolt signs that I have yet to mention in this thread is an increase in webbing activity and sometimes they can kick hairs into that web. That could account for a bald spot, but a bald spot by itself is not a sign of premolt. If the exo is still pinkish then it isn't molting any time soon, you have to wait for it to get kinda shiny and black to expect a molt soon IME.

From most Tarantula Boards I've joined many Avic T's molt suddenly on their keepers because of the rare or hard to determine signs.
Are these spiderlings that this is happening with? I would say that is definitely true with wee ones, but that is because Avicularia species are pretty fast growers. This past month our A. versicolor ate voraciously one day after refusing food the past 2 tries and then molted the next afternoon. We were starting to really think it was in premolt, then it eats and we decide we must have been wrong. Then it says what the heck and flips the next day! Tarantulas can and will surprise you, consider it part of the fun if it happens to you. :) I wouldn't call Avicularia premolts any more mysterious or hard to determine, than any of our other species. Perhaps you are trying to pin down specifics, where specifics are variable for each spider and each molt.

Which is why I asked about mine because of the patch. And as you see people are having their difference of opinion as to Avic habits in general. So yes, throwing the search option is moot.
That is where you are wrong. You would be able to find multiple threads with oodles of opinions and experience. I have read both the "they rub their urticating hairs onto you" and "they kick their hairs". Since the hairs are barbed on the end the rubbing can make sense, but I have not seen it. Kicking would make sense, since most species do kick, but again I have not seen any of our Avicularia species kick hairs. So, if I were to want to make a decision between the validity of the two sides, I would use the search engine and look among the older threads for discussions on the subject. Real discussions not what the majority of the threads/ responses are these days. Also, when you are reading in your thread, look at the bottom of the page and there will be other threads with similar thread titles for you right there to click on. You don't even have to use the search for that and with each new thread you will have more threads at the bottom to click on.

.....Also, others offer it because they are followers, and if one person tends to be annoying they'll follow suite.
Or you could see it, if one person is giving good advice, then others follow suit. I have mentioned it before, but sometimes that is the best advice that can be given. If you find it annoying, don't listen to it, don't unendingly complain about it, just ignore it and focus on the people that give you advice that isn't "use the search engine".

There is no need to throw out the search function on every single question or thread presented in this Forum.
I agree, sometimes it is a unique problem, or sometimes someone is just saying they are happy their spider molted. That aside, quit exaggerating to try and make your point, that advice is not in every single thread.

If you hadn't noticed there are hundreds and hundreds of threads on this Forum, asking questions. Many from the very people saying *use the search option* to others.
Yep, I have noticed that there are a few of us around. :) Sometimes even us search touting folks have a question we are having trouble finding an answer to and just like it is not a crime for you to ask your question, it isn't for them either.

Is *try using the search function* thrown at people in every single one of these threads? The answer is no. So to your question once again, yes it's offensive because 98% of the time on this Board, it's used to annoy people rather than help them. It was DEFINITELY not necessary for my question, because you're debating what another person says on another Board and like I stated, they are pretty well known over there as well.
It is not thrown in every thread, not even by half. You feel like it was not necessary, because you want your answer handed to you. I throw it in because I hope that someone, not just you, will use the suggestions that I offer on using the search and it helps them. Just because you are too stubborn and bullheaded to use it, doesn't mean everyone is.

Arachnoboards isn't the All-Knowing of the tarantula world as many here would like people to believe with the *use the search function* crap.
I have NEVER seen ANYONE say that this board is the ALL-Knowing of the tarantula world, if I did, I would promptly call them a fibber. It can be an excellent resource, but for me it is usually through the search function. Not to say there aren't current posters that I feel are competent and great at giving advice, but if I want to ask a question I can be fairly certain someone already has at least once if not a dozen times.

An example of this; I used this Boards search function before I bought my LP slings, yet there was hardly anything related to them that was worthwhile. So I went elsewhere.
I don't own one and have therefore never researched them, but my gut tells me you were not using it to it's full extent.

DawgPoundSound said:
Alot of people offer it because they have absolutely no social life
There you would be right. I leave the house once a week or so, can only access 5 rooms of my house, wear an eyepatch, am in constant pain, have trouble walking, am not able to feed/ do maintenance/ handle any of our Ts and I come here to at least talk about Ts and feel helpful to the hobby. Your bitching is like pissing in the pool I am trying to swim in and I wish you would just quit it, if you can't see that embarrassing purple cloud around your crotch, then I am just letting you know its there.

The Avic question I took a shot at posting on here, since there is a pretty good debate on the topic of Avics in general.

Now had I posted questions on here concerning LP slings, I'd have gotten the *use the search option* crap from people who just don't have the knowledge and have nothing constructive to add.
People like you are the reason the more knowledgeable people have moved on. There is nothing more satisfying than trying to be helpful to someone only to be bitched out for it multiple times. I feel for and admire Redneck, because even though you seem to treat him like a limey dog, he still tries to be helpful. Rats of to ya Red!

Now that it has taken me hours to compose this horribly long reply, please note that I answered and addressed your concerns and questions first, before delving into the purple cloud and giving you my opinions. Consider yourself the owner of a new kitten.:D

Last edited:

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
People like you are the reason the more knowledgeable people have moved on. There is nothing more satisfying than trying to be helpful to someone only to be bitched out for it multiple times. I feel for and admire Redneck, because even though you seem to treat him like a limey dog, he still tries to be helpful.
Are you mentally crazy or something? I've spoken to Redneck through IM and haven't treated him in such manner. We disagree on attitudes in this Forum but that's about it. He knows I respect his info on T's. And you don't have to babysit him he can speak for himself as he's done already. You're being ridiculous, and one of the followers as spoken of. And to your comment "people like me?"... first off it's comments like those why "People like YOU" have run off hundreds away from this Board, and secondly, when you find all these so-called (knowledgeable) people on here as you claim please let me know.

Because so far I've found maybe 3 out of the many many social losers and a-holes around here.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you mentally crazy or something? I've spoken to Redneck through IM and haven't treated him in such manner. We disagree on attitudes in this Forum but that's about it. He knows I respect his info on T's. And you don't have to babysit him he can speak for himself as he's done already. You're being ridiculous, and one of the followers as spoken of. And to your comment "people like me?"... first off it's comments like those why "People like YOU" have run off hundreds away from this Board, and secondly, when you find all these so-called (knowledgeable) people on here as you claim please let me know.

Because so far I've found maybe 3 out of the many many social losers and a-holes around here.
Wow. I love reading these threads. It's so funny how defensive you get.

Hey you could be like batgirl and make an ignore list. And the search function could be the first on that list {D