A journey only for the brave

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
fed it once the day I got it, rehoused the next day, burrowed and has yet to be seen again.
aww man, I feel this comment! My favorite NW species by far is Brachypelma albiceps :rofl: got it (April 2021) @~0.5cm, rehoused it, fed it and didn't see it again for 200+ days........reappeared roughly ~0.6cm.
Ate a few times since then and has now refused for about the last 3 months, shiny & black abdomen so I guess I might see a second moult by the end of 2022 haha

A guy

Arachnobaron
UPDATE

All of them molted! But I would be lying if I said that they gained some size lol no noticeable size gain whatsoever, their abdomens just shrunk

Sanjo

Arachnopeon
Congrats! A journey for the brave and super patient! As much as I'd love to have an Aphonopelma species the ultra slow growth rate is a deal breaker. Luckily we have A. hentzi here that I can see in the wild.

A guy

Arachnobaron
Congrats! A journey for the brave and super patient! As much as I'd love to have an Aphonopelma species the ultra slow growth rate is a deal breaker. Luckily we have A. hentzi here that I can see in the wild.
❌ They grow at a glacially slow pace
✅ They'll be with you for a very long time

Put some positivity in to it

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Atleast you have something to pass on to your kids!
I got a sling that size, funny thing, molted once in a year 😁. He's fine beeing "the forgotten one", so pretty cool!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully, you'll keep us updated over the years so we can get an indication of how long it really takes for these to go from 1/4" to 5+" ;) I'd rather get them a little bit bigger, like 1" or so, they're not quite as fragile at that size.

A guy

Arachnobaron
Hopefully, you'll keep us updated over the years so we can get an indication of how long it really takes for these to go from 1/4" to 5+" ;) I'd rather get them a little bit bigger, like 1" or so, they're not quite as fragile at that size.
Of course, if I live to see them reach adulthood that is.

They're surprisingly really good eaters though, the smallest crickets I have available is like 3 times their size but all of them do not leave anything behind.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Of course, if I live to see them reach adulthood that is.

They're surprisingly really good eaters though, the smallest crickets I have available is like 3 times their size but all of them do not leave anything behind.
your avatar throws people off. You are a kid, yes? (sorry 22 is kid in my book)
Heck I'm 59 and I have an A. bicoloratum, it's about an inch and change DLS, an A. moderatum about 1.5" DLS, a juvenile A. steindachneri, a sub adult A Steindachneri, a sub adult A, Chalcodes and I am guessing I may never see some full grown, but who cares, the process is the fun part.
Luckily my daughter will happily take them. (Note: I also have 2 full blow Adult Females - A. steindachneri and A. Chalcodes)

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Heck I'm 59 and I have an A. bicoloratum, it's about an inch and change DLS, an A. moderatum about 1.5" DLS, a juvenile A. steindachneri, a sub adult A Steindachneri, a sub adult A, Chalcodes and I am guessing I may never see some full grown, but who cares, the process is the fun part.
Luckily my daughter will happily take them. (Note: I also have 2 full blow Adult Females - A. steindachneri and A. Chalcodes)
im 9 yrs old

A guy

Arachnobaron
My avatar is uncle Ben, from spiderman lol
22 year old with back pain lol You still have a long way to go old man. You'll see them full grown

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've had an Aphonopelma sp. "Jalisco" since 2016 and so far it has taken about 4 years for it to grow from a tiny pinky fingernail size spiderling to reach a 2 inch long legspan that is light tan in color. It hasn't molted in about 2 years so I have no idea how much bigger it will get. The problem I have with these undescribed/ unidentified Mexican Aphonopelma species is that I have no idea how big it is supposed to get or what it is supposed to look like as an adult. I could Google the trade name, but I can't verify that what I have as "Aphonopelma sp. Jalisco" is the same as someone else's.

Last edited:

A guy

Arachnobaron
I've had an Aphonopelma sp. "Jalisco" since 2016 and so far it has taken about 4 years for it to grow from a tiny pinky fingernail size spiderling to reach a 2 inch long legspan that is light tan in color. It hasn't molted in about 2 years so I have no idea how much bigger it will get. The problem I have with these undescribed/ unidentified Mexican Aphonopelma species is that I have no idea how big it is supposed to get or what it is supposed to look like as an adult. I could Google the trade name, but I can't verify that what I have as "Aphonopelma sp. Jalisco" is the same as someone else's.
Great progress!
That's my problem aswell, I contacted multiple people with "Aphonopelma sp. jalisco" but all of them have different looking adult specimens.

A guy

Arachnobaron
UPDATE

Bad news: one of the five slings has sadly died out of nowhere. I can't find a reason why it happened, everything was as it should. I guess it was just natural selection.

Good news: All four have molted again and if you look at them with a magnifying glass, there's a subtle size difference this time lol

A guy

Arachnobaron
UPDATE

Another bad news: Unfortunately, another one of the slings had died because of a bad molt. Molted out fine but I noticed that its exoskeleton never hardened. For the whole time after its molt it stayed looking like it was freshly molted for 2 weeks before inevitably dying. Very bummed out. That leaves me with 3 out of the original 5

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
UPDATE

Another bad news: Unfortunately, another one of the slings had died because of a bad molt. Molted out fine but I noticed that its exoskeleton never hardened. For the whole time after its molt it stayed looking like it was freshly molted for 2 weeks before inevitably dying. Very bummed out. That leaves me with 3 out of the original 5
I've read about this happening before. Very strange, indeed. Sometimes it has seemed to take extraordinarily long for a few of mine to harden, but I've never lost one due to it. Sorry to hear it.

A guy

Arachnobaron
I've read about this happening before. Very strange, indeed. Sometimes it has seemed to take extraordinarily long for a few of mine to harden, but I've never lost one due to it. Sorry to hear it.
Yeah, I've only heard of it once before. I guess these are the risks taking small slings.

A guy

Arachnobaron
UPDATE

New passengers for this journey. 3 1/4" Aphonopelma anitahoffmannae

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I saw that and related it to my next venture - Phoneutria

All aside, it is kind of hard to think about the future of our little buddies as some of us aren't spring chickens.....

A guy

Arachnobaron
I saw that and related it to my next venture - Phoneutria

All aside, it is kind of hard to think about the future of our little buddies as some of us aren't spring chickens.....
Oh I totally get it. That's @viper69 's reason too I believe.