4 slings on the way! :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think it was packing myself. Even the best packer can make a mistake, especially if they ship a lot of T's.
The huge majority of my T's arrived by Federal Express. Fed Ex doesn't treat the boxes like they have live animals. All of them get thrown around. I don't see how any healthy T that was packaged right in the vial could end up looking like that.
Without me seeing how the original packing was I can't really say one way or the other. I was just speaking in general. Even with good packing if a box is impacted with enough force it'll still cause impact damage.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't see how any healthy T
Exactly! We see Ts all the time on this forum, in our own care, that appear healthy and poof they die out of nowhere. I had a healthy (so I thought), 2.5" female C. marshalli, she was eating/drinking normally since she was sling. She climbed a few millimeters above the sub, and after the 2nd day (not unusual for her at times- who doesn't want out of their prison at some point ;) )of being vertical I carefully prodded her w/a probe only to see her fall back dead as a door nail. She wasn't even shipped.

Point being we observe these black boxes w/ 8 legs all the time, and often times have no way of knowing things aren't healthy until it's too late. This is the case with exotics almost all the time, DVMs report this constantly in the literature.

Perhaps this sling had a malformed exoskeleton internally and a slight change in pressure was all it took to kill it.

According to the buyer, the Ts were packed the same as the rest. 3 out of 4 arrived fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just hope the replacement survives the trip. If not, I will be super frustrated. I want that thing, but two DOAs in a row would make me go elsewhere to get it.
I've had a few DOAs myself for slings from top T shippers in the nation, it happens. There's no predicting which one will survive and which one won't with 100% certainty. At least the vendor has more of the species you want, some don't always have more.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Exactly! We see Ts all the time on this forum, in our own care, that appear healthy and poof they die out of nowhere. I had a healthy (so I thought), 2.5" female C. marshalli, she was eating/drinking normally since she was sling. She climbed a few millimeters above the sub, and after the 2nd day (not unusual for her at times- who doesn't want out of their prison at some point ;) )of being vertical I carefully prodded her w/a probe only to see her fall back dead as a door nail. She wasn't even shipped.

Point being we observe these black boxes w/ 8 legs all the time, and often times have no way of knowing things aren't healthy until it's too late. This is the case with exotics almost all the time, DVMs report this constantly in the literature.

Perhaps this sling had a malformed exoskeleton internally and a slight change in pressure was all it took to kill it.

According to the buyer, the Ts were packed the same as the rest. 3 out of 4 arrived fine.
Excellent point. And with extremely small slings it is hard to tell if there is damage. Most of us see a moving sling and immediately get it into its new home without having a medical exam for the T.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Update: the box with the replacement T arrived this morning. The breeder decided to pack in TWO P. sazimai slings this time, so that was a nice surprise. Gives me twice the chance to get a female.

There isn't much point in bothering with photos yet. They all look like the same little orange 1/4 inch things. Once they start showing some differences it will be fun. Watching them grow up is the best thing about getting slings (also, they're cheap!)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Update: the box with the replacement T arrived this morning. The breeder decided to pack in TWO P. sazimai slings this time, so that was a nice surprise. Gives me twice the chance to get a female.

There isn't much point in bothering with photos yet. They all look like the same little orange 1/4 inch things. Once they start showing some differences it will be fun. Watching them grow up is the best thing about getting slings (also, they're cheap!)
That is more like it! They did it right.

Best of luck with them. I have a few slings of this species as well. They eat every meal like they haven't ate in months. I find very few rejected meals. Mine are currently burrowing so I don't see them much yet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

The vendor did the RIGHT thing. It's important to report this type of info in the vendor's review.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Odd, I left a review for the vendor. I forget, does one need enough posts to leave a review? @cold blood you remember this sort of stuff.
I went back to the site earlier today to leave a good review...there are no user reviews, no way to leave one, no FB page, nothing. The vendor that I got my B. boehemi and albopilosum from had a FB page, so I did leave a good review there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went back to the site earlier today to leave a good review...there are no user reviews, no way to leave one, no FB page, nothing. The vendor that I got my B. boehemi and albopilosum from had a FB page, so I did leave a good review there.
I'm speaking of the vendor's username here on AB. Not personal website. Your vendor is Steve123.

As they say "he did right by you" regarding a replacement, not with one, but TWO of the same species. Post up a review here on AB under his username.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm speaking of the vendor's username here on AB. Not personal website. Your vendor is Steve123.

As they say "he did right by you" regarding a replacement, not with one, but TWO of the same species. Post up a review here on AB under his username.

cold blood

Staff member
Update: I am having another P. sazimai sent on Friday. The replacement was free, but the $45 to ship it is mine to pay. (This is the policy with every breeder I've seen.) The breeder assured me that slings arriving with a ruptured abdomen is something that almost never happens. He feels it may have been trauma from changes in pressure in the cargo bay of the plane. <shrug> No idea.

I was offered a freebie, a Neoholothele incei gold, but I declined. Too webby for me, and probably too fast.

I'll get some pics together once I have all four to show, but there's not much to see...they're all smaller than a pea, and have the same orange-ish bodies.
I've heard speculation that changes in altitude can cause such a rupture, although rare, it may just be that they're vulnerable at a certain point in pre molt. It is pretty rare though, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and its not always indicative of poor packing.

I just hope the replacement survives the trip. If not, I will be super frustrated. I want that thing, but two DOAs in a row would make me go elsewhere to get it.
DOAs are really not very common, even in winter (as long as there are no delays and they are packed well). I know its frustrating, especially when it happens on one of a person's first orders.

But the freebie they offered...man, it was a really good one. I find incei to be one of the coolest species I have ever had, so interesting and active. In the end you won anyway, because of the freebie being another sazami.....but incei are pretty darn sweet, and a real quality freebie.

You should get more than one freebie for that mistake. It would be different if it truly died during the trip. It likely died when they put it in the vial based on your description. Or it was certainly packed wrong. But that is just my opinion.

I would just take the refund and buy from someone else.
A death isn't always because of a mistake or anyone's fault. Even perfect packing won't yield 100% perfect results.

Its not as much about the DOA as it is about how well the replacement is handled. And most seasoned sellers are not going to fight you on replacements, most are very understanding and accommodating.

I've had a few DOAs myself for slings from top T shippers in the nation, it happens. There's no predicting which one will survive and which one won't with 100% certainty. At least the vendor has more of the species you want, some don't always have more.
Agreed, it happens sometimes, even if it is rare.

And there's my point, not only did the seller make it right, but he even added a second...in this case the DOA wasn't an indicator of bad anything, but the way it was handled showed a critical positive. Always give the seller a chance to make things right before you make hasty decisions and judgements.:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A death isn't always because of a mistake or anyone's fault. Even perfect packing won't yield 100% perfect results.
I couldn't agree more. I remember I received a freebie PZB from a breeder, it was a gorgeous pink base color, but it was just about DOA. Aside from DOA, it was healthy looking in everyway, all other Ts in the shipment were mint.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If it is Arachnoiden, Steve did an excellent job on my order. And I love the quantity discount system used.

I do all of my Fed Ex orders as hold for pickup which means the package is out of the weather and has one less opportunity for the package to be throw around some more.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I've heard speculation that changes in altitude can cause such a rupture, although rare, it may just be that they're vulnerable at a certain point in pre molt. It is pretty rare though, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and its not always indicative of poor packing.

Its not as much about the DOA as it is about how well the replacement is handled. And most seasoned sellers are not going to fight you on replacements, most are very understanding and accommodating.
I agree. I changed my tune after @viper69 gave me an example regarding what could happen after rough handling by the shipping company. What you are saying also makes sense. My initial thought was rough handling when placing the T in the vial.

Unfortunately this type of situation is a lose lose quite often since the shipping is so expensive. But I believe this one turned out well as it could end.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I finally got around to taking some baby pics of the new bunch. Better late than never? :D

1/2 inch N. tripepii

1/3 inch B. boehmei

1/4 inch B. albopilosum

1/4 inch P. sazimai #1

1/4 inch P. sazimai #2