4 slings on the way! :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Update: I am having another P. sazimai sent on Friday. The replacement was free, but the $45 to ship it is mine to pay. (This is the policy with every breeder I've seen.) The breeder assured me that slings arriving with a ruptured abdomen is something that almost never happens. He feels it may have been trauma from changes in pressure in the cargo bay of the plane. <shrug> No idea.

I was offered a freebie, a Neoholothele incei gold, but I declined. Too webby for me, and probably too fast.

I'll get some pics together once I have all four to show, but there's not much to see...they're all smaller than a pea, and have the same orange-ish bodies.
plane? where are you buying from?
i had a T stirmi arrive with a ruptured abdomen once, it was a day late so the shipping for a replacement was like 10 bucks.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
plane? where are you buying from?
i had a T stirmi arrive with a ruptured abdomen once, it was a day late so the shipping for a replacement was like 10 bucks.
A place in Massachusettes. Too far to drive for an overnight delivery. Every breeder I've seen online has the same exact policy: If you get a DOA, we'll replace it at no cost, but you have to pay for the overnight shipping to get the live arrival guarantee, and the cost to ship the replacement.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A place in Massachusettes. Too far to drive for an overnight delivery. Every breeder I've seen online has the same exact policy: If you get a DOA, we'll replace it at no cost, but you have to pay for the overnight shipping to get the live arrival guarantee.
they have to deliver on a plane from there? thats like right next to you.
yeah, im pretty sure thats the norm on DOA policy.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
they have to deliver on a plane from there? thats like right next to you.
yeah, im pretty sure thats the norm on DOA policy.
I'm not privy to exactly how FedEx moves its packages across the country. I believe it normally involves trucks and airplanes.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
You must have really wanted that sling....I probably would have taken the loss and moved on for a bit. Maybe make a purchase a little later with more to make that shipping cost worth it. Also is that really all they had to offer as a freebie?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You must have really wanted that sling....I probably would have taken the loss and moved on for a bit. Maybe make a purchase a little later with more to make that shipping cost worth it. Also is that really all they had to offer as a freebie?
Yes, I did really want it. I must own a blue T, and I don't want anything that is arboreal or a heavy webber, so there aren't a lot of other choices aside from Pseudhapalopus Sp. blue, which is less pretty IMO.

Yes, that was the only thing offered as a freebie (which you can't complain too much about since you're getting it for nothing.)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, FedEx delivered about an hour ago. 3/4 Ts survived the trip. The P. sazimai had a ruptured abdomen, which I was able to see before even opening the container it was in. I had to stick something into the remains to prove that it was DOA to the breeder. I'm working with him on a decision on what to do next.

Has anyone else ever seen a ruptured abdomen during shipping? The inside of the box was slightly cool, almost room temperature, and it was 49 degrees out, so I don't know that it was temperature related. The other T in the same box was fine.

I've only had one T arrive dead from impact damage and the outside of the box was dented. Honestly I thought it should have been packed it a bit tighter in the vial but it would have been fine without impact that damaged the box.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The sling was only $18.99. Overnight shipping in the states is $40-$45 regardless of how many you get at a time, so it's more cost effective to get a few at a time.
This is why I order the majority of my Ts in the spring-fall skipping the hottest summer months. You can get two day shipping for around 15 dollars and they do great with 2 days at those temps. Once the winter or hot summer hits I wait on ordering unless it's something I want and I don't think will show up often.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I've only had one T arrive dead from impact damage and the outside of the box was dented. Honestly I thought it should have been packed it a bit tighter in the vial but it would have been fine without impact that damaged the box.
Yeah, this was weird. The box looked fine, and the other T an inch away was fine.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, this was weird. The box looked fine, and the other T an inch away was fine.
Depending on how they are packed just dropping the box from a few feet can throw the T from one side of the vial to the other and cause damage. That's why most people who ship Ts fill the vial with a rolled up moist paper towel. They put the tiny sling in the hole in the center so it fits tight. This lessens the chance of impact damage.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Depending on how they are packed just dropping the box from a few feet can throw the T from one side of the vial to the other and cause damage. That's why most people who ship Ts fill the vial with a rolled up moist paper towel. They put the tiny sling in the hole in the center so it fits tight. This lessens the chance of impact damage.
That's exactly how it was packaged...unfortunately, I could see the guts had stained the paper towel before I opened the vial. Poor thing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow P. sazimai is like 5$ here :eek: I mean most of slings up to 5i can mostly be bought for under 10-15$.. Well overnight shipping is like 12$ inside a country.. Im not sure how much is international.. But it's definitely not so expensive :eek: You guys have it tough :D But your wage is higher in average anyway so.. i guess it's fair :p
18$ is probably one of the lowest prices for this species here in the USA too. 5$ that's what B. albo's go for here, and B vagans both at 1/4"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's exactly how it was packaged...unfortunately, I could see the guts had stained the paper towel before I opened the vial. Poor thing.
I highly doubt it was the packing esp from that vendor and from your description

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I highly doubt it was the packing esp from that vendor and from your description
I just hope the replacement survives the trip. If not, I will be super frustrated. I want that thing, but two DOAs in a row would make me go elsewhere to get it.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
18$ is probably one of the lowest prices for this species here in the USA too. 5$ that's what B. albo's go for here, and B vagans both at 1/4"
Yeah and albos are rare here, just like GBBs, avics (apart from versi), and pokies other than regalis..

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Update: I am having another P. sazimai sent on Friday. The replacement was free, but the $45 to ship it is mine to pay. (This is the policy with every breeder I've seen.) The breeder assured me that slings arriving with a ruptured abdomen is something that almost never happens. He feels it may have been trauma from changes in pressure in the cargo bay of the plane. <shrug> No idea.

I was offered a freebie, a Neoholothele incei gold, but I declined. Too webby for me, and probably too fast.

I'll get some pics together once I have all four to show, but there's not much to see...they're all smaller than a pea, and have the same orange-ish bodies.
You should get more than one freebie for that mistake. It would be different if it truly died during the trip. It likely died when they put it in the vial based on your description. Or it was certainly packed wrong. But that is just my opinion.

I would just take the refund and buy from someone else. Neoholothele incei gold are beautiful. They definitely web up a lot and require a little moisture, but are fantastic T's to own. While they certainly have speed, mine never try to come out of the enclosure.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah and albos are rare here, just like GBBs, avics (apart from versi), and pokies other than regalis..
B.albopilosum are rare in Slovenia?? How is that possible when the German/Dutch/Polish market is flooded with them?
Hit me up come spring if you want one for only the shipping costs ;)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
B.albopilosum are rare in Slovenia?? How is that possible when the German/Dutch/Polish market is flooded with them?
Hit me up come spring if you want one for only the shipping costs ;)
That would be most kind! :) I mean you should take the word "rare" with some reserve.. I could get any of these if I really wanted to. It's just the price of the shipping that's bothering me, because I know that if I wait for the next expo, I could possibly find one there.. There's also one big Croatian breeder that crosses Slovenia now and then, and we can meet up somewhere and I can get slings free of shipping charge.. I always look from this perspective: "the breeder near me has 15 species of Ts that interest me, eventhough I would rather have an albo right now. But albo with included shipping will cost me almost as much as 5 slings from the breeder near me.. So I'll take the 5 slings instead :D" All in all, if I really want one particular spider, I almost always end up with 5 other ones haha :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think it was packing myself. Even the best packer can make a mistake, especially if they ship a lot of T's.
The huge majority of my T's arrived by Federal Express. Fed Ex doesn't treat the boxes like they have live animals. All of them get thrown around. I don't see how any healthy T that was packaged right in the vial could end up looking like that.