4 or 5 new slings and questions on the one's I have

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Well, a bit over a month after grabbing my first 2 T's, I'm now about to grab several more... I'm hooked and I want them all now haha!

So I have three firm picks, well two for me and one for my sister since I missed her birthday last month... Yikes!

For me: A. Chalcodes and B. Vagans, and my sister is getting a G. Pulchripes (she aboslutely adores them).

Now I'm not happy with ordering just three and then paying for over-night shipping so I'm getting one or two more, depending on their prices. I was looking at adding a C. Darlingi to that list but I thought about it for a while and since I've had very little experience (especially with full grown T's) I would rather not run the risk of getting tagged by one with a potent bite and a mean attitude. I can handle an attitude (I adore T's that are feisty), and some speed, just the bite is a different story and if I got nailed by a bad one, the S.O. would probably kill me and her bite scares me the most. I'm surprised she's tolerating my T's at all! Also another thing holding me back is because the Darlingi isn't my absolute favorite baboon. The Marshalli takes the cake for me.

So now I'm looking at possibly adding a C. Bertae to that list. I love love love dwarf T's and one day would adore to have a dwarf aphonopelma (if I can ever find one).

Another one on my list is the C. Leetzi. How large do these really get? I've read 2 inches, all the way up to 5 inches.

If you all have any other names to throw my way, I would love to hear them! Looking into terrestrials mainly, and would love another great webber like my C. Cyan. For some reason, arboreals don't strike much of an interest other than avics (all that adorable fuzz), but the issues I've read about avic sling death rates makes me a bit timid on going that route just yet.

Now I have two quick questions on my current slings. The questions are more of me just making sure that I am noticing the signs of oncoming molts.

The A. Genic sling has decided to go and plug up its hide for the last 3 weeks. It molted a week before that and I guess it is molting again. I haven't touched the enclosure other than to drop in a cricket leg for a day just to see if it vanishes which it has not. I'm assuming that it is fine though and I shouldn't try to dig it up for a long time yet? Read somewhere that after 6 months, maybe then I should check.

My other sling, a C. Cyan, has completely stopped moving around other than across a 2 inch wide web hammock it has created, and won't eat. Whenever a cricket is near it, the sling will throw a big threat pose and strike but then retreats. I'm also seeing zero signs of stress. No leg tuck, no hair kicking, just chilling in one part of the web. Only tried to feed it twice since this behavior started so that I keep it as stress-free as possible. It's colors haven't darkened yet to indicate that a molt is coming on, but it is quite fat and lethargic. I'm assuming this one is on its way to molting soon?

Can't wait until I'm more experienced in this hobby so I can do more than ask questions!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sounds like your slings are either full. not interested in eating or about to molt.
For another T to consider try a Neoholothelle incei both the olive and gold forms. They are dwarfs that get about 3" , great eaters and will give the GBB a run for its money in the webbing department.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Well, a bit over a month after grabbing my first 2 T's, I'm now about to grab several more... I'm hooked and I want them all now haha!

So I have three firm picks, well two for me and one for my sister since I missed her birthday last month... Yikes!

For me: A. Chalcodes and B. Vagans, and my sister is getting a G. Pulchripes (she aboslutely adores them).

Now I'm not happy with ordering just three and then paying for over-night shipping so I'm getting one or two more, depending on their prices. I was looking at adding a C. Darlingi to that list but I thought about it for a while and since I've had very little experience (especially with full grown T's) I would rather not run the risk of getting tagged by one with a potent bite and a mean attitude. I can handle an attitude (I adore T's that are feisty), and some speed, just the bite is a different story and if I got nailed by a bad one, the S.O. would probably kill me and her bite scares me the most. I'm surprised she's tolerating my T's at all! Also another thing holding me back is because the Darlingi isn't my absolute favorite baboon. The Marshalli takes the cake for me.

So now I'm looking at possibly adding a C. Bertae to that list. I love love love dwarf T's and one day would adore to have a dwarf aphonopelma (if I can ever find one).

Another one on my list is the C. Leetzi. How large do these really get? I've read 2 inches, all the way up to 5 inches.

If you all have any other names to throw my way, I would love to hear them! Looking into terrestrials mainly, and would love another great webber like my C. Cyan. For some reason, arboreals don't strike much of an interest other than avics (all that adorable fuzz), but the issues I've read about avic sling death rates makes me a bit timid on going that route just yet.

Now I have two quick questions on my current slings. The questions are more of me just making sure that I am noticing the signs of oncoming molts.

The A. Genic sling has decided to go and plug up its hide for the last 3 weeks. It molted a week before that and I guess it is molting again. I haven't touched the enclosure other than to drop in a cricket leg for a day just to see if it vanishes which it has not. I'm assuming that it is fine though and I shouldn't try to dig it up for a long time yet? Read somewhere that after 6 months, maybe then I should check.

My other sling, a C. Cyan, has completely stopped moving around other than across a 2 inch wide web hammock it has created, and won't eat. Whenever a cricket is near it, the sling will throw a big threat pose and strike but then retreats. I'm also seeing zero signs of stress. No leg tuck, no hair kicking, just chilling in one part of the web. Only tried to feed it twice since this behavior started so that I keep it as stress-free as possible. It's colors haven't darkened yet to indicate that a molt is coming on, but it is quite fat and lethargic. I'm assuming this one is on its way to molting soon?

Can't wait until I'm more experienced in this hobby so I can do more than ask questions!
No arboreals, eh? How about a P. cambridgei. They are extremely cheap for an arboreal and they have one of the best feeding responses in my collection. Not to mention one of the only green T's in the hobby. They are fast though, with more potent venom than normal. I don't believe it would be as bad as a marshalli though ;) Also, big and a great display T when older. They are a great intro into arboreals IMO. They can also be kept terrestrial when young. They are great :D

Attachments

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Sounds like your slings are either full. not interested in eating or about to molt.
For another T to consider try a Neoholothelle incei both the olive and gold forms. They are dwarfs that get about 3" , great eaters and will give the GBB a run for its money in the webbing department.
Those monsters are gorgeous... definitely adding it to my list. Anything that can give my GBB a run for its money is a must have. Absolutely adore webbers.

E. sp. Red, let the world domination commence!
I actually have had my eye on that one for a while! I have a question though. What's the difference between that one and this one http://petcenter.info/petcenterstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1396 ? I can't seem to find any info on that species and whenever I google search it, I always get the E. Sp. or the Homoeomma sp. blue. They almost loo like twins to me.

No arboreals, eh? How about a P. cambridgei. They are extremely cheap for an arboreal and they have one of the best feeding responses in my collection. Not to mention one of the only green T's in the hobby. They are fast though, with more potent venom than normal. I don't believe it would be as bad as a marshalli though ;) Also, big and a great display T when older. They are a great intro into arboreals IMO. They can also be kept terrestrial when young. They are great :D
You know, even though arboreals don't strike a huge interest in me, I've had my eyes on that one and the P. irminia. I think I'm just super timid about trying out arboreals for some reason... I probably just need to take the dive!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Although I haven't seen an official paper there is hints that Euathlus sp "Red" will end up moving to Homoeomma genus as sp "Fire." A lot of Europe labels them that way already, same spider.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Although I haven't seen an official paper there is hints that Euathlus sp "Red" will end up moving to Homoeomma genus as sp "Fire." A lot of Europe labels them that way already, same spider.
That is something I like to hear! I've been eyeballing that spider at petcenter for a couple of weeks wondering which it was. Glad to know that they are probably one and the same! Thank you for that info! Definitely has me sold on that specimen.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That is something I like to hear! I've been eyeballing that spider at petcenter for a couple of weeks wondering which it was. Glad to know that they are probably one and the same! Thank you for that info! Definitely has me sold on that specimen.
Just be prepared they are very slow growers that 1/4-1/2" sling will take 2-3 years to look like the one Viper69 posted

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Just be prepared they are very slow growers that 1/4-1/2" sling will take 2-3 years to look like the one Viper69 posted
Haha that's what I've been reading! Looks like I'll have at least 2 slow growers in this order, but I'm looking forward to watching them grow up!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Those monsters are gorgeous... definitely adding it to my list. Anything that can give my GBB a run for its money is a must have. Absolutely adore webbers.

I actually have had my eye on that one for a while! I have a question though. What's the difference between that one and this one http://petcenter.info/petcenterstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1396 ? I can't seem to find any info on that species and whenever I google search it, I always get the E. Sp. or the Homoeomma sp. blue. They almost loo like twins to me.

You know, even though arboreals don't strike a huge interest in me, I've had my eyes on that one and the P. irminia. I think I'm just super timid about trying out arboreals for some reason... I probably just need to take the dive!
I would just take the dive. You'll never want to get out o the water ;) They ARE fast, but they aren't very dangerous venom wise. 10/10 arboreal

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
I would just take the dive. You'll never want to get out o the water ;) They ARE fast, but they aren't very dangerous venom wise. 10/10 arboreal
I guess my wallet might just end up being slightly lighter! Looking at them more, I really love that olive color they have!

N. incei and H. sp. Colombia "large" are some of my favorite smaller variety of T.
The H. Sp. Columbia is one that I've been watching since I first got interested in tarantulas a few months back. One day soon, I will snag one or two! Gorgeous T's you've got there.

You all are making me want to spend more than I should! I've got to order tonight before more get added to my shopping cart...

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I guess my wallet might just end up being slightly lighter! Looking at them more, I really love that olive color they have!

The H. Sp. Columbia is one that I've been watching since I first got interested in tarantulas a few months back. One day soon, I will snag one or two! Gorgeous T's you've got there.

You all are making me want to spend more than I should! I've got to order tonight before more get added to my shopping cart...
Just give us pics when they arrive; always love seeing people's beautiful T's, especially when it is a new experience for them. Awesome to see :D

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
C. Darlingi quite possibly has the weakest venom of all old worlds, coupled with the fact they produce a tiny amount, the bite isn't really anything you or your wife should be concerned about. A bit of mild pain/swelling for an hour or so after the bite.

If that's the T you really love - then get a sling, it's considered a good intro to OW's. I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't go round handling it.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
C. Darlingi quite possibly has the weakest venom of all old worlds, coupled with the fact they produce a tiny amount, the bite isn't really anything you or your wife should be concerned about. A bit of mild pain/swelling for an hour or so after the bite.

If that's the T you really love - then get a sling, it's considered a good intro to OW's. I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't go round handling it.
Reading that makes me feel more comfortable about grabbing one of those in my next order! Already ordered my slings up haha!
A. Chalcodes
B. Vagans
G Pulchripes
Homoeomma sp. Red
C. Bertae (after looking into the other dwarfs posted on here and what money I'm already putting into the others, I decided to go the route of this little fella)

Also would you all consider a 1.5mm air hole small enough to prevent a 1/4inch to 1/2inch sling from escaping?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Not a good idea for someone who's only had spiders a month. These are fast, can escape easily, and have a painful bite. Let him get some experience under his belt. There's no rush.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
N. incei and H. sp. Colombia "large" are some of my favorite smaller variety of T.

I'd never recommend these to a beginner. They're high strung and dart around unpredictably. Most of my collection is arboreal and OW, and Hapalopus are annoying to work with because so prone to running out of their cages. I just crack the lid enough to toss in a cricket or squirt in some water, and have to close it immediately so they don't get out and run across the floor. Not a lot of fun to work with.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I'd never recommend these to a beginner. They're high strung and dart around unpredictably. Most of my collection is arboreal and OW, and Hapalopus are annoying to work with because so prone to running out of their cages. I just crack the lid enough to toss in a cricket or squirt in some water, and have to close it immediately so they don't get out and run across the floor. Not a lot of fun to work with.
Same here. My Hap. "small" is an absolute speed demon. He seems content to retreat to his tunnels when I disturb him, but I'll still only barely crack the lid to toss in food--the little guy can boogie for sure. I'm getting ready to rehouse him for the first time, pretty excited to see how that'll go. :rolleyes:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Reading that makes me feel more comfortable about grabbing one of those in my next order! Already ordered my slings up haha!
A. Chalcodes
B. Vagans
G Pulchripes
Homoeomma sp. Red
C. Bertae (after looking into the other dwarfs posted on here and what money I'm already putting into the others, I decided to go the route of this little fella)

Also would you all consider a 1.5mm air hole small enough to prevent a 1/4inch to 1/2inch sling from escaping?
Yeah those holes will be fine.

As long as the holes are smaller than the width of the carapace. 1.5mm will be.