This can't be happening to me..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
*Edit*
The reproductive organs on both males are intact.. Please feel free to skip to post #22 for clarification...

So some of you may be familiar with a thread I created about a MM H.maculata that had under developed emboli upon maturing. They are bulbous but have no barb on the end.. That was my Nephew's @DreamHaze Tarantula that I planned on pairing with one of my females..

Some time last night my male molted and is mature.. It's too early to tell for sure( he's at a weird angle and waay to fresh to prod into a better position) but from what I can see his emboli look exactly the same..

Like I'm pretty damn positive he to is deformed..

As far as I know these are completey unrelated Tarantulas.. What could be going on here? Is this something that's somewhat common with H.macs?

I'm so disapointed, my females are both Gourgous, big and long-term imports so it would of been fresh blood in the gene pool..

Here's a link to the other thread

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/this-mm-look-odd-to-any-of-you.295581/page-2#post-2648270

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
So some of you may be familiar with a thread I created about a MM H.maculata that had under developed emboli upon maturing. They are bulbous but have no barb on the end.. That was my Nephew's @DreamHaze Tarantula that I planned on pairing with one of my females..

Some time last night my male molted and is mature.. It's too early to tell for sure( he's at a weird angle and waay to fresh to prod into a better position) but from what I can see his emboli look exactly the same..

Like I'm pretty damn positive he to is deformed..

As far as I know these are completey unrelated Tarantulas.. What could be going on here? Is this something that's somewhat common with H.macs?

I'm so disapointed, my females are both Gourgous, big and long-term imports so it would of been fresh blood in the gene pool..

Here's a link to the other thread

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/this-mm-look-odd-to-any-of-you.295581/page-2#post-2648270
No surely not, two in the space of two molts are exactly the same, if that's for real you are one of the unluckiest guys I know, I really hope you're wrong, hope all is well with him.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No surely not, two in the space of two molts are exactly the same, if that's for real you are one of the unluckiest guys I know, I really hope you're wrong, hope all is well with him.
I'm almost posititve it and yes I have terrible luck.. It's like God said hey I'll create this guy Ryan and then screw him over at every turn..

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm almost posititve it and yes I have terrible luck.. It's like God said hey I'll create this guy Ryan and then screw him over at every turn..
No mate, don't think like that, PMA - positive mental attitude, you'll find a way to get this fixed, there's always another male out there, I mean H. mac's aren't the most difficult sp. to find, I know it's stinking luck but it's happened for a reason, that's the way I always think, the reason at this point is unknown for sure, you'll find a male in no time buddy, hope you have good luck finding a new MM sometime soon, chin up Ryan, not this time but soon mate, soon. I feel awful for you!

cold blood

Staff member
I find it hard to believe that both would be deformed in the same precise manner...could the palps be normal for an H. mac? I'm sure you have directly compared them, but thought would throw it out there.

cold blood

Staff member
With the amount of time he works me over, am surprised God has the time to screw you over.:shifty:

boina

Lady of the mites
Wow - that really would be incredibly bad luck. (And I'm really happy to be an atheist right now, if that's not too flippant a remark).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I find it hard to believe that both would be deformed in the same precise manner...could the palps be normal for an H. mac? I'm sure you have directly compared them, but thought would throw it out there.
I just contacted a friend of mine that has bred gaggles of H.macs and she was saying the hooks on the emboli are smaller and more rounded than in alot of species.. I have seen a ton of MM male H.macs though working in importers facilitys and none looked like the first male.. I'm positive he is malformed.. The second one looks so familiar to the other male that I would also almost guarantee he has the same issue..

I really hope I'm wrong or just missing something..

Did you take a look at the male in the link that I posted above? What's your take, do you see anything that maybe I missed?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything that looks like tibial hooks on those pictures. Maybe if you were able to get a picture of them from the side, you might be able to see better?

Either way, I smell an opportunity. You may have heard of neuticles for dogs, but have you heard of neutibials for tarantulas?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything that looks like tibial hooks on those pictures. Maybe if you were able to get a picture of them from the side, you might be able to see better?

Either way, I smell an opportunity. You may have heard of neuticles for dogs, but have you heard of neutibials for tarantulas?
I will provide better pics.. I have to send some to my friend for her to examine as well.. I should have time tonight..

In the above photo on the right cymbium I can see a slightly raised spot where I believe the palpal bulb and embolus should extend from but it's not there on either palp from what I can see..

Lol I don't think those will work he has the potatoes but no meat ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I will provide better pics.. I have to send some to my friend for her to examine as well.. I should have time tonight..

In the above photo on the right cymbium I can see a slightly raised spot where I believe the palpal bulb and embolus should extend from but it's not there on either palp from what I can see..

Lol I don't think those will work he has the potatoes but no meat ;)
Ahaha, well to be honest I don't know very much about T breeding. Never attempted it, haven't read about the specifics in a long time. I wasn't aware the tibial hooks were the uh... delivery system. Ahem. I thought they were just to help prop the ol' gal up.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ahaha, well to be honest I don't know very much about T breeding. Never attempted it, haven't read about the specifics in a long time. I wasn't aware the tibial hooks were the uh... delivery system. Ahem. I thought they were just to help prop the ol' gal up.
H.macs don't have tibial hooks at all( same with all O/W tarantulas as far as I know) the area that is deformed is the actual tip of the pedipalp. It's almost completely undeveloped..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
H.macs don't have tibial hooks at all( same with all O/W tarantulas as far as I know) the area that is deformed is the actual tip of the pedipalp. It's almost completely undeveloped..
See I -told- you I didn't know anything.

So what you mean is where the 'boxing glove' should be, it is woefully un-boxing glove like? Now that I -can- see from the pictures.

ahaha no wonder I couldn't find any tibial hooks! This explains so much.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The mysteries of our 8 legged friends continues like the sun rising/setting: continual and expected.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I'm going to need better pictures than that last thread to convince me the embolus didn't fully form. It is normally tucked deep into the setae and only unfolded during mating, filling(with sperm) or cleaning.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Though theyre predominantly a NW thing, there are actually a handful or so OW ts that have tibials
Yea I remeber poec54 listing a few I think theres like six or so and they are little more than small nodules..