This can't be happening to me..

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Are you sure? Try pairing anyway. It won't do any harm. I'd guess you're just mistaken.

There are OWs with hooks, just to correct the record there, but not all. Some of my baboons have really impressive hooks.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Soooo.. I just grabbed a very bright flashlight and a nice clear deli container and did some investigating.

I figured out why my H.macs seem to not have a palpal bulb or emboli attached to the cymbium.. They are tiny and tucked up very close to the leg towards the outside of the body.

Also on further inspection of my male I noted that he has much larger cymbium than my Nephew's more like what I have seen on H.macs in the past. He was still in his web this morning when I saw him so I think I must of been looking at his first pair of legs..

Sorry for the confusion guys but hopefully this thread will help others that think there H.mac is a eunuch :dead:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Are you sure? Try pairing anyway. It won't do any harm. I'd guess you're just mistaken.

There are OWs with hooks, just to correct the record there, but not all. Some of my baboons have really impressive hooks.
They will be paired because I'm a blind idiot.

As I had mentioned to greyzone I believe it was, I remeber poec54 publishing a list of O/Ws that do have tibial hooks. I thought I remeber him saying they looked more like they were just an elongated area beneath the leg not an actual hook in the traditional sence..

Not that I doubt what your saying, I'm just saying that's what I remeber to the best of my recollection..

Obviously that's just about as good as my vision these days.. :meh:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm going to need better pictures than that last thread to convince me the embolus didn't fully form. It is normally tucked deep into the setae and only unfolded during mating, filling(with sperm) or cleaning.
Yup your right just found them.. I needed a better flashlight a clearer deli container and a Tarantula that was in a more cooperative mood.

I'm going to edit the thread so that people can skip past the unnecessary posts.

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They will be paired because I'm a blind idiot.

As I had mentioned to greyzone I believe it was, I remeber poec54 publishing a list of O/Ws that do have tibial hooks. I thought I remeber him saying they looked more like they were just an elongated area beneath the leg not an actual hook in the traditional sence..

Not that I doubt what your saying, I'm just saying that's what I remeber to the best of my recollection..

Obviously that's just about as good as my vision these days.. :meh:
Yaaay the world needs more little H. macs! Some boys are shy with their bits, yeah? Here's a pic of a poor Harpactira dictator MM that had a bad ultimate molt. He looks like a wonky huntsman now, but you can see his big hook very clearly. There are a lot more, but this is the only pic I have on me at the moment.

Attachments

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Right in the stickies is an old list, it needs to be updated but still a start. ;) ...... http://arachnoboards.com/threads/qu...-answer-common-questions.145454/#post-1335709

Species List Without Tibial Spurs:

Annandaliella Hirst, 1909 (Selenogyrinae)

Anoploscelus Pocock, 1897 (Eumenophorinae)

Augacephalus Gallon, 2002 (in part): A. junodi (Simon, 1904) (Harpactirinae)

Chilobrachys Karsch, 1891 (Selenocosmiinae)

Citharischius Pocock, 1900 (Eumenophorinae)

Coremiocnemis Simon, 1892 (Selenocosmiinae)

Euphrictus Hirst, 1908 (Selenogyrinae)

Heteroscodra Pocock, 1899 (Stromatopelminae)

Heterothele Karsch, 1879 (Ischnocolinae)

Hysterocrates Simon, 1892 (Eumenophorinae)

Ischnocolus Ausserer, 1871 (Ischnocolinae)

Lyrognathus Pocock, 1895 (Selenocosmiinae)

Metriopelma Becker, 1878 (Theraphosinae)

Nhandu Lucas, 1981 (in part): N. carapoensis Lucas, 1981 (Theraphosinae)

Orphnaecus Simon, 1892 (Selenocosmiinae)

Pachistopelma Pocock, 1901 (shield of spines only) (Aviculariinae)

Phlogiellus Pocock, 1897 (Selenocosmiinae)

Phoneyusa Karsch, 1884 (Eumenophorinae)

Phormingochilus Pocock, 1895 (Ornithoctoninae)

Plesiophrictus Pocock, 1899 (in part): some males may possess tibial apophyses (Ischnocolinae)

Poecilotheria Simon, 1885 (Selenocosmiinae)

Selenocosmia Ausserer, 1871 (Selenocosmiinae)

Selenotholus Hogg, 1902 (Selenocosmiinae)

Selenotypus Pocock, 1897 (Selenocosmiinae)

Sericopelma Ausserer, 1875 (Theraphosinae)

Stromatopelma Karsch, 1881 (Stromatopelminae)

Theraphosa Thorell, 1870 (in part): T. blondi (Latreille, 1804) (Theraphosinae)

Thrigmopoeus Pocock, 1899 (Thrigmopoeinae)

Xenodendrophila Gallon, 2003 (Stromatopelminae).

Another good link (from 2004):

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=273220&postcount=3

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yaaay the world needs more little H. macs! Some boys are shy with their bits, yeah? Here's a pic of a poor Harpactira dictator MM that had a bad ultimate molt. He looks like a wonky huntsman now, but you can see his big hook very clearly. There are a lot more, but this is the only pic I have on me at the moment.
Yea they were a nightmare to find.. I was like nope nothing, wait I see something, nope , wait well maybe like ten times before I finally saw the emboli for sure. Once you know where to look on this species they are obvious..

Yea I would deffiantely say those count as hooks not just nodules as described before.. Lol..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's okay, I don't know anything either.
Ya'know I drove straight through PA when I moved back from Florida to NY.. If I had known two weeks ago that you were going to return to the forums to grief me I would of popped in and stolen your computer :mooning:

:p

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Yea they were a nightmare to find.. I was like nope nothing, wait I see something, nope , wait well maybe like ten times before I finally saw the emboli for sure. Once you know where to look on this species they are obvious..

Yea I would deffiantely say those count as hooks not just nodules as described before.. Lol..

To be honest half the threads reading "can anyone see this" "sex my T" "check my enclosure" etc.- I can't see well enough what OP is referring to!:rofl: My Eyes getting older:rolleyes:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yup your right just found them.. I needed a better flashlight a clearer deli container and a Tarantula that was in a more cooperative mood.
Still great news, it took a bit of investigating but I thought it was too much of a coincidence that two from two MM had the exact same issue. I think a visit to the optician, wouldn't be a bad idea, or have you -been there done that- I'm glad all turned out well in the end mate, good luck with the pairing.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ya'know I drove straight through PA when I moved back from Florida to NY.. If I had known two weeks ago that you were going to return to the forums to grief me I would of popped in and stolen your computer :mooning:

:p
I'm not worried.

You've got terrible eye sight.

You: I've got your laptop, now what?
Me: ...That's a sandwich.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
As you've said "I had no idea this was even possible" you may well be quite correct, as the MM's are both adequately developed - I've never heard of this before, I'm sure no one else on the forum has either, I just hope the pairing goes extremely well for @14pokies, your other MM H. mac that matured first is in good shape - yes, no, could you confirm this please, thanks mate.
Hopefully both of your MM H.macs are adequately equipped, good luck pal.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Might as well update this thread instead creating a new one like a Casual :dead:..

Female #2, that was paired with male #1 seems to be carrying eggs. In the last five days she has gone from the normal size to looking like a massive, fat grape.

Female # 1 was recently paired with male #2 after molting out from the pairing with male #1 .. She did end up eating male #2 after five days of cohabitation so hopefully I will get a sac from her this time.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I'm almost posititve it and yes I have terrible luck.. It's like God said hey I'll create this guy Ryan and then screw him over at every turn..
Alrighty then, does He get an apology?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Just a quick update.. Female #2 dropped a sac during the night..

I'll update again when I pull the sac.

Last edited: