Genus Theraphosa

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i just bought my blondi today!!! it was 40 bucks the guy wanted to get rid of it and i was like wow okay , in my observations i think its a real blondi but here is a picture, the guy said it was a male but who knows.

Appears to be T. stirmi

Redwizard000

Arachnopeon
T. blondi

Picture of my T. blondi

2011-10-20 18.41.48.jpg

Picture of my T. blondi violently objecting to having her picture taken. (accidentally brushed her with the camera strap and she freaked out...)

2011-10-20 18.43.31.jpg

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Redwizard, im not sure but that looks like a T. stirmi to me and not a T. blondi

Redwizard000

Arachnopeon
I suppose you could be right. I am not familiar with T. stirmi, in fact, I did not know there were 3 species in the Theraphosa genus. She was sold to me as a T. blondi. I have looked at a few pictures of the two and can't really tell the difference, aside from what appears to be a very slight difference in color shade. She might also look a little bit lighter because right now she lives in what used to be a fish tank and the 2nd bulb on that light is a blue coral light.

What are some differences between the two species that might help me make a more positive identification?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I suppose you could be right. I am not familiar with T. stirmi, in fact, I did not know there were 3 species in the Theraphosa genus. She was sold to me as a T. blondi. I have looked at a few pictures of the two and can't really tell the difference, aside from what appears to be a very slight difference in color shade. She might also look a little bit lighter because right now she lives in what used to be a fish tank and the 2nd bulb on that light is a blue coral light.

What are some differences between the two species that might help me make a more positive identification?
Just take a little peak at the patella and you will se that T. stirmi lacks setae and the T. blondi does not.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This is only the fourth time I've had a male attempt a post ultimate molt out of possibly hundreds of ultimate males that have passed through here. Out of those 4 attempts, this is only the second time I've had one still alive after the molt. Often the spiders die with complications of the molts when the emboli become stuck in the un-natural molt. Although he still has both palps, from the little I can see this spider did loose both embolus, so no post ultimate mating attempts will be in his future. I'll get some pics of him when he recovers from the molt. I would of never suspected this from a Theraphosa :clap:

Later, Tom

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I never would've expected it from a Theraphosa either! That's incredible, I can't wait to see more pictures of the guy.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I wonder how long will keep on living! I really hope for a while, also what would his behavior would be? very interesting!
And.. How big is this suckah now?! did you measured the molt and him, I wonder if he gained any growth between those two last molts??

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Now I wonder how long will keep on living!
Hopefully long enough to molt again and regenerate his emboli lol{D

How big is this suckah now?! did you measured the molt and him, I wonder if he gained any growth between those two last molts??
Good question, Ill get measurements of the molt, and good measurements of him once he dies. If anything he looks like he shrunk, his legs look so frail and thin now.

Later, Tom

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's unbelievable, I wonder if a spider ever molted post ultimate male twice. Very cool either way.

Eric

matt82

Arachnoknight
That is cool to see, glad the T is relatively unscathed too :), despite the unfortunate significant damage...

I didn't actually realise this was something that the MM could actually complete successfully, as the limited amount of cases I've read about did not have positive outcomes (including the first MM I had, a C. cyaneopubescens who died while out on loan during what is believed to have been a post-ultimate moult).

Out of interest, why would it be all the more surprising for a Theraphosa sp. to survive a post-ultimate moult- just the sheer size of the animal?
Cheers

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Out of interest, why would it be all the more surprising for a Theraphosa sp. to survive a post-ultimate moult- just the sheer size of the animal?
Cheers
I guess because Theraphosa are known for molting problems in captivity, so I found it odd that it survived this. In the past post ultimate molts that I've seen they are usually Avicularia and Grammostola. This is the first case of a post molt Theraphosa that I'm aware of.

Later, Tom

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Awsome... !! NEWS
take a lot of pics your T is a LEGEND:biggrin:

tooo bad hes sterile

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats very cool Tom. Too bad he lost his emboli, could have bought you a little more time.