Genus Theraphosa

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What Theraphosa is that? It looks darker than others I have seen, it is very pretty though! :)

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
What Theraphosa is that? It looks darker than others I have seen, it is very pretty though! :)
T. stirmi (Ivy).
The lighting is overcast and she is pretty new in her skin.
Once she gets on a blue background, the camera will pic it up differently.
I see the variation in color during the different molting times, whether they are fresh or crusty and old in the molt cycle.

P1200439Alev.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope my stirmi looks like that, I was hoping you were going to say stirmi haha. Mine is a 6 inch juvenile with the caramel color lol.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
I hope my stirmi looks like that, I was hoping you were going to say stirmi haha. Mine is a 6 inch juvenile with the caramel color lol.
They are itchy. I had a few hairs on my hand that itched during the night.
Be patient they are going to be around a long time, possibly still with you after the dogs and cats pass away.
She's in the infamous Cola-cooler with the Digital thermostat and a water container in the corner behind the tank.
It keeps the humidity ramped up.

They used to be in the basement in numbers, but now there are only three big Ts in a gutted craigslist Cola-cooler with DC power PC fans on a dimming potentiometer for ventilation.
They are in the skylight room, with plenty of shade and zero direct light.
Geniculata, parahybana and stirmi.

The 2nd stirmi is now down the street with another member who collects Theraphosa.
He has a huge one that looks like it plays with Godzilla on poker nights.

P1200470Alev.jpg
15540869206_d1b3380988_z.jpg

9122565464_b960462ca0_z.jpg

14946660303_f570042e6d_z.jpg

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
A quick update on the Theraphosa hair once it contacts the skin etc.
I usually keep a shop-vac handy to zap any hair on me, but not this time.
Theraphosa are still not as bad as what a Nhandu left on the carpet for me 2 months ago, but the hair seems to get the human body to surround the trapped hair with fluid, bubble up, and if you happen to itch it, then the skin will peel away as a blister.
Small lumps appear hours to a day after too.
I enjoyed every bit of it.

Keep that shop-vac handy!

Enjoy science and biology.

P1200515.jpg

P1200512.jpg

P1200509.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dug a little bit in my Theraphosa's tank and moved some things around (This was the first week I got it, just finishing touches) and about 15 minutes later, a few of my finger itched slightly and it itched for the rest of the day, keyword *Slightly*. I was like wow...this is the dreaded Theraphosa hair? I can tell that reactions definitely vary!

Felidae

Arachnosquire
My lovely Giants (T.stirmi) :happy:

Sub girl take a bath in fresh water

image.jpg
image.jpg

And the small ones :) L5-6 1.1

image.jpg
image.jpg

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Beautiful blondi images!

Here is my subadult male stirmi

By the way just checked out this entire thread and see many stirmis being called blondis back in the past. How many were interbred?

IAMBEN

Arachnopeon
upload_2016-12-27_15-31-16.jpeg S6000011.JPG
upload_2016-12-27_15-31-17.jpeg
My female T. stirmi large and in charge. Her last molt was a solid 7". The container she is in stands 6" with 2" of coco fiber under her. She has to be about 8.5" now and is getting close to another molt. When she lays flat her legs almost go all the way across her enclosure which is 11.5". She needs a new enclosure which should be exciting. She moves extremely fast for such a monster!!! Very fun T to keep. Absolutely beautiful after a fresh molt. She tries to eat everything that comes near her.

Last edited: