• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • YES BUT IN UPPER CASE.

Votes: 18 94.7%

• Total voters

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Dude... totally understandable, no worries. I'm confused by text all the time. If I didn't have prior knowledge of what he was getting at, I would also be as confused as anybody. Lol

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'm fairly certain English isn't the guy's first language (Italian living in the Dominican Republic IIRC) but he's written it in such a way that, to me, it looks like he calls it Holothele sp. Ischnocolinae in the second comment.

It appears that I am actually in the wrong on this but CEC did a much better job of explaining why I'm wrong. I have messaged him to apologise.
That's some ironically funny stuff right there! :D

Time for a social media break there buddy. Unplug for a while. o_O

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's some ironically funny stuff right there! :D

Time for a social media break there buddy. Unplug for a while. o_O
I think I just need a break from existence at this point :rofl:

Instagram shenanigans you say..?
View attachment 300040 View attachment 300041
(Not ig but I saw it there)
The first one was cringe-worthy enough (although it is nice to see a woman with actual eyebrows for a change) but the price tag on that "ultra rare" OBT caused me to invent new expletives :rofl::dead:

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Until recently, when someone pointed me in that direction for inverts I was looking for, I had resisted going on FB. While some good stuff (& good bargains) can be found on there it is definitely a minefield.
I recently joined a bunch of tarantula groups on FB, just because I love seeing pictures, and wanted to expand the amount of discussions/interactions/etc... long story short I'm just another Tarantula obsessed noob, but anyways.

When compared to these forums and the tarantula subreddit, the FB groups seem like a much less.... mature group of keepers. I hope no one takes offense to this generalization as it is exactly that - and don't get me wrong, I've seen many knowledgeable members and admins of these groups helping others improve as keepers. But generally the standard of care just seems to be lower in the FB groups versus the subreddit or these forums.

For example, there was a thread in one of the groups asking if it was safe to smoke around your tarantulas. There were 100+ comments pretty much saying it is fine/safe/totally acceptable. There were all sorts of discussions, ranging from people saying they didn't allow tobacco/nicotine but would smoke cannabis around them, people claiming the fact that Tarantulas don't have cannibinoid receptors as proof that it has no ill effects whatsoever on them, all the way to people saying they regularly smoked/vaped/whatever in their invert/reptile rooms and had 'perfectly healthy animals' so it must be fine.

I was just shocked to see SO MANY keepers discussing smoking any sort of substance around their specimens as if it were fine and there was no way it could be harmful to them.

For me personally, it just makes sense that since smoke of any type is harmful to my body, it would certainly be harmful to any other living thing as well. It's easy enough for me to go into the other room to smoke, I don't understand why anyone would choose to smoke around their pets.

Anyways, this became a long-winded rant, but my whole point is that I know for a fact I'd never see a thread condoning smoking/vaping/whatever around your pets on this forum or in the tarantulas subreddit. I enjoy the facebook groups and there are a lot of good people in there but it's a very different culture.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The tarantula groups on FB are by and large an absolutely horrid cesspit of what you saw in those above Instagram shots. Yesterday I saw a photo of some nasty little demon child's tarantula that (presumably) was dead because he threw it in a vat of red paint. It was honestly pretty triggering to look at. There seems to be one that's a little less bad than all the others, but problems abound on that platform no matter what. I like it here, where all the (mostly) sane people come to congregate.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I personally use all kinds of social media, FB, Twitter, Insta. Mostly for my business, and for fun and pleasure as well.
But with all respect for this nice forum i always tell FB users in tarantula groups that they should join this forum as well. My thoughts about FB over arachnoboards here`s so many experienced keepers also on FB. But with that said, FB is without a doubt a much much bigger kinder garden than here. Mostly people here can be mature <3 ;) :kiss:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The tarantula groups on FB are by and large an absolutely horrid cesspit of what you saw in those above Instagram shots. Yesterday I saw a photo of some nasty little demon child's tarantula that (presumably) was dead because he threw it in a vat of red paint. It was honestly pretty triggering to look at. There seems to be one that's a little less bad than all the others, but problems abound on that platform no matter what. I like it here, where all the (mostly) sane people come to congregate.
You learn more on Facebook. This site kinda caps out after a while.

Biggest breeders and taxonomists are there, not here.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That`s true, there can be only one Chris :astonished::astonished::D:kiss:
Thank you sweety :kiss:

He speaks Italian and likes spiders. :p better than nothing lol.
Aim for the best, in life: I was able to speak (correct) Italian (the language of 'Padre Dante', which is Dante Alighieri and not Dante of 'Devil May Cry') and to properly care for spiders when said fellow 'boot' person was probably in diapers.

Just that I have a weak point, my incredibly huge heart, so on my face there's always a smile that states:

"I'm better than you, but I will play fair, always, no matter" :kiss:

Frankly, only an evildoer can 'dislike' me :)

Btw I actually use Facebook: I lurk my former girlfriends profiles & crap :writer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
You learn more on Facebook. This site kinda caps out after a while.

Biggest breeders and taxonomists are there, not here.
Seeing you say stuff like this keeps tempting me to start using my Facebook again, but then I know I'd have to fight to not waste my time and energy on every idiot on there pulling stunts like what's posted in this thread.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Seeing you say stuff like this keeps tempting me to start using my Facebook again, but then I know I'd have to fight to not waste my time and energy on every idiot on there pulling stunts like what's posted in this thread.
If I can do it, you definitely can lol..

There was a thread a little while back where anyone could ask well known tarantula taxonomist Stuart Longhorn as many questions as they wanted. Don't see that here, just sayin.