1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarantula-related Instagram shenanigans

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by The Grym Reaper, Feb 12, 2019.

Have I lost the plot?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. YES BUT IN UPPER CASE.

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  1. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    I know that social media is basically the technological equivalent of cancer and I try to avoid FB as much as possible because it makes me want to kill myself/everyone else (also, I can count the amount of my real-life friends that actually don't mind my spoods on one hand).
    For some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to start an Insta a while back where I post pics of my animals and my glorious skullpiece when I'm not looking at other people's spoods or reptiles or hot tattooed wamens or offensive humour (@arachnotank - link in my signature).

Anyway, I posted a picture of Polaris as it was the first shot I could get of it since it last moulted, it was purchased as Holothele sericea and I was later informed that they were revised in 2017 and are now known as Scopelobates sericeus (because a few sellers in the UK don't like to use revised names for some reason).

Sseri.JPG

Then I get this brer trying to tell me it's something else although he's extremely inconsistent on what the name is. Conversation as follows:

Wuh.png

Is this just some random ignoring taxonomy? Has my last shred of sanity finally decided to abandon ship? I'm going to attempt auto-cognitive adjustment (basically I'm going to headbutt a wall repeatedly) in the meantime.

If any other IG spood peeps on here have any randomness they'd like to share then go ahead.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 14
  2. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    That confused me... I have no idea what that guy was even trying to say.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron

Iowa
    Jeeze, I'd have been laughing my head off, what a schmuck. :hilarious:

Almost gotta wonder if he was trolling? :troll:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, I'm completely lost o_O

Yeah, 5am me wasn't sure whether to laugh or facepalm.

The thought that he was just trolling had crossed my mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Reminds me of the time someone in an FB group tried to argue with me that my A. seemanni was, in fact, a G. pulchripes.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. The Grym Reaper

Tarantula FB group arguments are always a laugh, especially when the admins jump in threatening to put the ban-hammer down :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    I recently had someone comment on a photo of my Avicularia sp. "Kwitara river", that she had a sling grow from sling size, to over 5 inches, in 7 months. lol

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnolord Active Member

Until recently, when someone pointed me in that direction for inverts I was looking for, I had resisted going on FB. While some good stuff (& good bargains) can be found on there it is definitely a minefield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clareesi

Clareesi Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I never thought there could be drama around tarantulas. But then I remembered it's the internet and people are crazy about everything on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. CEC

CEC Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

MN-USA
    AFAIK what was sold as "Holothele sericea" were mislabeled and merely a guess, they are not actually Holothele sericea (now revised Scopelobates sericeus; which has an urticating setae patch) and the proper label would be "Holothele sp. Dominican Republic" until further notice. I think that is what he is trying to say.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Oh the irony lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnosquire Active Member

My brain hurts.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. CEC

MN-USA
    Well... this is awkward. :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. The Grym Reaper

Oh well, until someone revises Hobby "sericeus" it's staying labelled as S. sericeus :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Everyone else, please. I'll be cheering you on. Facebook can really bring out my aggressive side...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, if you think political/religious debates in TWH are bad then FB is 1,000,000x worse.

In any case, it's nice to know that I have unequivocally lost the plot :wacky::hilarious::dead:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. CEC

MN-USA
    I frequent both...
    Yes , FB has it's misinformation but so does every social media source (this one included). Too many experience levels to avoid it no matter where you go.
    But hey, before you knock on FB realize that some taxonomists actually have a FB account and comment often...As well as answer Qs and can be easily contacted if need be. I really wish I could say the same for this forum.
    Furthermore, some of the most experienced and knowledgeable hobbyists have left the AB forum completely for FB (main reason, easy to access FB and/or they hate the new AB format lol), sad but true.

I think most AB members that avoid FB is cuz of social reasons, not hobby reasons. :cigar:

** I mean, come on... even the creators of this forum frequent & are more active on FB. Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  18. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnoknight Active Member

Sorry man, I tried to read conversation several times and I think I am on that guys side. What he is saying make sense.
    You keep atacking him for using too many names, but when You read his ansver correctly, he never called that species "Holothele sp. Ischnocolinae" he was only accenting that it is Ischnocolinae member.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CEC

MN-USA
    Certainly, dude meant it's a Holothele sp. /(Sub-family Ischnocolinae)
    not Holothele sp. "Ischnocolinae"... Classic case of "confused by grammar". Lol
    That's why I state things as clearly and thoroughly as I can in text, cuz something as simple as a misplaced comma can confuse a reader. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  20. The Grym Reaper

I'm fairly certain English isn't the guy's first language (Italian living in the Dominican Republic IIRC) but he's written it in such a way that, to me, it looks like he calls it Holothele sp. Ischnocolinae in the second comment.

It appears that I am actually in the wrong on this but CEC did a much better job of explaining why I'm wrong. I have messaged him to apologise.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1