stories of people being ignorant about Ts and other invertebrates

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
Have you tried finding an innocent person in Wiltshire? There's more chance of being hit by a blizzard of identical snowflakes (actual flakes of snow, not the derogatory term used by right-wingers to describe everyone who doesn't agree with them lol).
Wiltshire has a special, dark place in my heart as I received a speeding fine from there once many years ago. Stonehenge kinda cancels out the bad though..

At least if there was an army coup from Salisbury plain you could invoke The Daemon of Khorne to protect you!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Stonehenge kinda cancels out the bad though..
I live only a short walk from it, I used to go up for the solstice during my wayward youth :wacky::cigar:

At least if there was an army coup from Salisbury plain you could invoke The Daemon of Khorne to protect you!
No need, I can't be killed by conventional weapons so squaddies tend to give me a wide berth :rofl:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
me 3 days since last time i checked thread: i wonder if anyone responded to my thread

thread: there are 4 pages of responses

me: what have i done

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
this isnt a story about someone being ignorant but i still love it: at my school im infamous (i say infamous because people find it weird) for keeping spiders, and this fact means every time someone has a question pertaining to spiders they come to me. theres this girl at my school that lives on a huge ranch (there everywhere here in Tennessee) and really hates spiders, and she makes sure to tell me every time i bring them up. one day she comes up to me and says "whats this spider" and shows me a picture of a MF Argiope aurantia. i tell her its a black and yellow garden spider and start freaking out because i was on the hunt for one to which she responds "yeah there everywhere in my yard. do you want me to catch one for you?" i of course freak out even more and say yes. next Monday she gives me one in a jar, and honestly its one of if not the most fun spider ive ever kept. i had to take a huge plastic bin and super glue cardboard to it so it could create a web and it was so cool once it made its web. the feedings were the coolest feedings ive ever seen period: i would throw a meal worm (usually freshly molted) into her web and she just lunges towards it and destroys it! i wish i had gotten a male to pair with her, i would love to hatch a sac and keep some of the spiderlings

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
And THEN you'll get the "aha! That's actually pretty cool, I didn't know that!" followed by sudden interest, paired with the realization that spiders might not be as disgusting and creepy and useless as they thought.
for me that response is more rare than unicorns and gamer girls

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i just remembered this one from my grandma. a few years ago my grandma was spending the night at a friends house who happened to own a tarantula. she was sleeping in the room the tarantula was in and from what i could gather from the story the T was on the nightstand next to her. everythings going fine until she wakes up to some loud tapping coming from the Ts enclosure. she then realize the T was hanging from the lid (i dont think it was hanging from the lid but who knows) thumping its abdomen against the lid. to my grandma this looked like it was trying to pop up the lid and escape but to us T owners its a male in heat trying to find a female (thats my best guess could just be a T with a lust for blood) it goes without saying she didnt sleep in that room for the rest of the night

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I had a coworker ask me "How do you get them to not attack you".... I just continued to stare at him blankly trying to process this question.

First of all, I do nothing to them. I can't get them to do or not do anything. I just don't handle them. If you don't touch them, they can't bite you? How about don't poke the spidey, give her space and respect and you don't have to worry about them biting anything but food.

But the way he was asking me kinda felt like he thinks that I must behave in a way that makes me bite proof or I know some kind of spider-charming move to make them sleepy... I have no idea what he was thinking actually, probably just a really innocent question, but I STILL think about that!

How would you respond?

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I had a coworker ask me "How do you get them to not attack you".... I just continued to stare at him blankly trying to process this question.

First of all, I do nothing to them. I can't get them to do or not do anything. I just don't handle them. If you don't touch them, they can't bite you? How about don't poke the spidey, give her space and respect and you don't have to worry about them biting anything but food.

But the way he was asking me kinda felt like he thinks that I must behave in a way that makes me bite proof or I know some kind of spider-charming move to make them sleepy... I have no idea what he was thinking actually, probably just a really innocent question, but I STILL think about that!

How would you respond?
"Try to bite me and I'll show you..."

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

How would you respond?
i dont... i just let it bite me repeatedly in hopes i may become spiderman

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
"Try to bite me and I'll show you..."
LOL! Ahhh that would've been golden, had I the presence of mind to respond that way. As it is, I just kinda stood there gawping looking like a surprised giraffe or something. I just was like "...what kind of question is that???"

Its a wild animal with (arguably) no cognitive capability of learning a behavior... Probably couldn't teach it anything if you tried, especially a "don't bite me" trick.... Although I have seen videos of people allegedly training their T's to respond to single word voice commands... so I am thinking maybe the jury is out on whether they can learn behavior or not anyways!