stories of people being ignorant about Ts and other invertebrates

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i really want to hear your stories about people being ignorant about Ts and other invertebrates. things like reactions to people learning you keep Ts or seeing you research or talk about keeping Ts, things youve seen people do when they encounter a spider, ext. whether it be funny, sad, infuriating, ext. i wanna hear it. ill start:

i think it was before i was born this happened but this is a story my mom and dad have told me numerous times (every time i ask to get something with potent venom). we used to live in California where black widows are extremely common and my dad coming from England where a vast majority of venomous spiders were purposefully driven to extinction wasnt quite used to checking thins like wood piles before you start moving it. so my dad goes out to do some gardening and he needs to move a pile of wood (i have no idea why because i either wasnt born yet or not old enough to remember this) he starts feeling something crawling on his leg and according to my dad he did nothing to induce a bite (i think he says this to scare me out of getting something venomous) but my mom has confirmed he did the ultimate no no in this situation and slapped the place he felt the crawling and instead of just dealing with having to clean spider guts off his hand like he thought would be the only repercussion of this action but the NOW ANGRY BLACK WIDOW ON HIS LEG HAD ANOTHER THING IN MIND FOR HIM. so now lets here your stories...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I usually get a "what the ****."

I don't tell people I meet, so I don't really have any good recent stories.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Well, I got the defanging question at church the other day. Another time one of my relatives made a statement saying that female tarantulas don't need a males sperm to lay eggs

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Sometimes they say "I feel sorry for your neighbours". I always respond: "So do I - they don't know what they're missing!"

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I've known people for years without them realising i keep inverts. I just don't really talk about it

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Usually I just get the funny questions people ask. Like, did you get your tarantula defanged so it won't bite? (Thank you to the cartoon Rugrats for starting that. At least that's where I first heard it)

I've been asked if I was smart and responsible and had the poisonous (*whispers* Venomous) sac removed from my Ts so they won't kill me or anyone else. When I tried to explain that wasn't something that can be done and that they're not going to kill anyone, I got a lecture about how silly it is for people to go buy dangerous animals when they know nothing about them.

I was at the vet when this happened and while I was being told all of this from one woman, the young girl working behind the counter heard that I have tarantulas and she totally freaked. She started doing this weird, jerky dance and kept asking me, "Do you have any now?! Did you bring them with you?! Where are they, where are they?!"

And all I could do was sit there and stare at her. I so wanted to say something like, "Oh yeah, I always carrying them around in my purse. Haven't you heard? They're the new purse pets. Screw the chihuahua. I have a big, fuzzy tarantula peeking out at everyone!" :rofl::rolleyes::banghead:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
wow that's one hell of a story... I got one kinda like it: last year I got in school suspension for being caught swearing by teachers (my school was very strict about that and I'm glad I moved schools to a super accepting school) and I'm walking down a hallway after going to the bathroom and I notice a Pholcidae on the wall out of its web for some odd reason but I didn't care because I was on the hunt for one. I didnt have anything to catch it in so I hatched a plan... lunch was next so I order an ice tea sit down in the room I'm designated to have lunch in alone and start chugging the tea as fast as possible and dry the inside out with my shirt as much as possible and shoved the bottle in my bag. I execute my plan on the way back from lunch I spot the spider just chilling of the wall I pull out my bottle and attempt to coax it in. It falls off the wall and bolts. Not today. I kneel down and continue coaxing until an unexpected error occurs in my plan... a teacher next door to the class I'm supposed to be in asks what I'm doing. I explain myself all the while still coaxing. I get it in the bottle and the teacher tells me to throw it away. I stand up head hung low, walk into the room I'm supposed to be in, approach the trash can... and walk right past that thing to my back pack :cool: as I expected the idiot didn't even watch me throw it away and to the teacher who's room I was in just thought I was putting away my ice tea. If like to say I still have her to this day but she died two days later for no apparent reason. My guess was she ether died of old age or the slight amount of ice tea left in the bottle caused her to die somehow

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
To be honest, the ones that annoy me the most are the ones that think we "torture" our inverts in captivity, and go on about them needing large enclosures and stuff to "play with". They seem to be the hardest to reason with.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
"Oh yeah, I always carrying them around in my purse. Haven't you heard? They're the new purse pets. Screw the chihuahua. I have a big, fuzzy tarantula peeking out at everyone!"
Am I the only one that thinks haveing a full grown Theraphosa blondi as a purse pet would be the coolest thing ever. I would never do that because it would stress the T out too much but if that wasn't a factor they would be the coolest purse pet ever

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Am I the only one that thinks haveing a full grown Theraphosa blondi as a purse pet would be the coolest thing ever. I would never do that because it would stress the T out too much but if that wasn't a factor they would be the coolest purse pet ever
It would be awesome!! I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces. I'd do it if it didn't bring harm to the T as you mentioned. But at least the image in my head makes me laugh :rofl:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
To be honest, the ones that annoy me the most are the ones that think we "torture" our inverts in captivity, and go on about them needing large enclosures and stuff to "play with". They seem to be the hardest to reason with.
That's my dad right there. Every time I ask to go tho the pet store and say they'll starve if I don't get them crickets my dad always says to release them (all the species I currently own were wild caught but my first T is ariveing tommorow) or he'll say I'm getting in the way of them doing things they naturally do and I always end up saying not only do they do there natural thing but I help them do it more safely and successfully and that wins the argument every time

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
It would be awesome!! I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces. I'd do it if it didn't bring harm to the T as you mentioned. But at least the image in my head makes me laugh :rofl:
Yeah the image of its front legs over the edge of the purse and how doofy tarantulas look with there tiny eyes makeing them look like they have a tiny deep face is adorable

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Yeah the image of its front legs over the edge of the purse and how doofy tarantulas look with there tiny eyes makeing them look like they have a tiny deep face is adorable
Yes, it would be darling! My big, fuzzy C.versicolor would look wonderful :D

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
I'm still pretty new to the hobby so I don't have many "outrageous" reactions to my spiral into insanity which is the Tarantula Hobby. The classic "I hope you got them defanged ", "forget about me coming over anymore" , "what is the point of having a spider?", "what happens if it gets out", etc. Had a friend warn me saying, "you know that they are super poisonous,right?" :rolleyes: I don't really broadcast the fact that I have Ts because no one I know really gives a hoot.