A long story of tropical rainforests, giant centipedes, and one very bitchy teacher.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I daresay, some of you may have noticed that I have been completely absent from this forum for the last 11 days. This was because I, and 18 other students from my grade, embarked on a trip up to Cape York on an immersion tour to do community work for the local indigenous people. Cape York consists largely of Eucalyptus forest, with pockets of tropical rainforest, and the areas we visited were largely untouched save a few farms and dirt roads. Anyway, onto the centipede part. I had already been known by my whole grade for quite a while as "centipede man" or "the centipede wrangler" due to how I handle centipedes, and occasionally let my friends do so too (as you probably know, all my centipedes, with the exception of my young female E. rubripes, are fully acclimated to being handled and extremely docile). Prior to the trip, I was well aware that I may find the stunning tiger variant of E. rubripes, and on the third day, my wish came true.

After a hard day building a fence for a small dwelling, my classmates and I were invited to do a bit of Aboriginal art. The box of painting equipment was left in a shed, and it had rained the night before. I was the first to reach for a paintbrush, and found the box filled with an all manner of inverts, including a small huntsman, and several strange crickets. I decided to try and get the bugs out and release them, so I started with the huntsman. However, I was in for a shock, as while trying to coax the spider onto my hand, a rather large (~15cm) tiger E. rubripes fell off a nearby paintbrush. Even though I had seen pictures of the tiger rubripes before, nothing prepared me for the centipede's stunning patterning; yellow-orange, with bold dark brown bands across its body. Anyway, onto the funny, though at the time rather upsetting part. My friends around me made a little more racket than I would have liked when I attempted to handle it, and drew the attention of one of the teachers. She took one look, and screamed for me to throw it into a nearby campfire. My friends protested, telling her truthfully that I love centipedes with a very special passion, and have several as pets. The teacher responded "I don't care. I want it dead, and I won't leave until it is." That was enough for me. I asked her why she wanted an innocent creature dead, and that I am an experienced centipede handler. She completely ignored my first question, but her response to the second statement amused me. "I have been teaching my year 6 class about insects for several weeks every year for five years. I think it's safe to bet that I know what I am saying. Are we going to have any more disagreements?" I responded "well...centipedes aren't insects. They have 42 legs, as opposed to six." She responded something along the lines of "just listen to me", but I didn't stop there. She still thought that she knew more than I did, so I bombarded her with scientific terminology, such as the morphology of E. rubripes, the venom composition, and my centipede socialization techniques. She opened her mouth to respond, but by then the commotion had attracted another teacher, who had known me for several years, and he let me release the centipede a good distance away. After handling it for several minutes, I let it go under a log. Upon returning, the er...bitch (and I don't swear often) asked me "what was so fulfilling to you about letting a poisonous (yeah...I know, venomous) bug live? I wanted it dead because it would have made the children safer." I responded "What is so fulfilling about burning a living creature alive in front of an entire class? I released it a safe distance away, and as such, the children are safe, and an animal gets to live another day". She then gave me a detention, which I have to attend on the first day after the holidays :happy: At least I know I got to her.

Throughout the rest of the trip, I found four more E. rubripes, and though that teacher never picked on me in regards to centipedes again, she did try her best to embarass me as best as she could for the entire tour. Amusingly, everything she did to make my trip more miserable backfired instantly. She tried to say similar stuff to me nearly every day, always making sure everyone else was listening to embarass me. However, every time, I corrected her sincerely and politely, and she came off looking like a dumbass. She also said I was a danger to myself, and made a rule that I was not allowed to go anywhere without two other students guarding me to make sure I didn't pick up any bugs. That backfired again, as the two students who accompanied me instead functioned as lookouts on my behalf.

So there's my story. And the best part was that my friends now have a newfound respect for centipedes. They are now known as the bug that caused a teacher who would otherwise spoil a trip to become exposed as a fool with not a child's understanding of what she was talking about.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
This cracked me up! She must be such an idiot..
Well played on your part, you handled the situation very well imo.. you could even try not to attend the detention? You don't deserve it to be honest.. that's what I'd do but do what you feel is right
I'd have loved to see a picture of that rubripes, are there any online?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just google Ethmostigmus rubripes. You'll recognise the tiger form. It kinda looks like a more robust, brighter version of polymorpha, except they can get in the same size range as heros. In regards to the detention, I really don't care. I usually stay after school anyway to study. Generally, my only issue with detentions is my parents' reaction, but in this case, they were actually very proud of me. I personally perceive the detention as "okay, you cornered me in this argument, so I'm going to use my power because I am a sore loser!"

Oh, and I'm also making sure that if I ever obtain a tiger rubripes (and an online bug store up in Kuranda does have pedelings which will later be for sale) I will name it "poisonous insect" in honour of the teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

hylozoist

Arachnopeon
To be fair, her concern was probably more about liability and emergency situations - although I totally agree it was tactless, unnecessary, and cruel to suggest destroying an innocent creature that was in its natural habitat. How does she know you won't have an allergic reaction to its venom, necessitating emergency services and disrupting her ability to control/oversee the group? Her responsibility is to keep all students safe and again, while crudely done, it sounds like that was her concern.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
I understand your point of view about the detention.. and after all I kind of agree, since it doesn't really bother you
Coming back to our dear inverts, I googled E. rubripes and found your striped morph. Pretty cool indeed! And really similar to S.polymorpha as you said. Can they really get up to 9"?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
To be fair, her concern was probably more about liability and emergency situations - although I totally agree it was tactless, unnecessary, and cruel to suggest destroying an innocent creature that was in its natural habitat. How does she know you won't have an allergic reaction to its venom, necessitating emergency services and disrupting her ability to control/oversee the group? Her responsibility is to keep all students safe and again, while crudely done, it sounds like that was her concern.
It may have been her initial concern, but her later statements and actions just show it is a vindictive and power-loving person. Keeping kids safe doesn't mean kill everything in sight. Or pick on a person the rest of the trip. I understand the first concern, the following stuff was her just being a female dog ;)

Edit. Loved your story OP!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys. And just saying, I even specified that I had been envenomated by the species once before on purpose,and made it clear a bite wouldn't be serious to me.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blimey. o_O

"I have been teaching my year 6 class about insects for several weeks every year for five years."
I don't know, but from that wording I instantly imagined "Did-You-Know that spiders aren't actually insects? You can tell because they have eight legs!!!"

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
This made me laugh so hard. You should've brought some small centipedes back with you

Last edited:

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I daresay, some of you may have noticed that I have been completely absent from this forum for the last 11 days. This was because I, and 18 other students from my grade, embarked on a trip up to Cape York on an immersion tour to do community work for the local indigenous people. Cape York consists largely of Eucalyptus forest, with pockets of tropical rainforest, and the areas we visited were largely untouched save a few farms and dirt roads. Anyway, onto the centipede part. I had already been known by my whole grade for quite a while as "centipede man" or "the centipede wrangler" due to how I handle centipedes, and occasionally let my friends do so too (as you probably know, all my centipedes, with the exception of my young female E. rubripes, are fully acclimated to being handled and extremely docile). Prior to the trip, I was well aware that I may find the stunning tiger variant of E. rubripes, and on the third day, my wish came true.

After a hard day building a fence for a small dwelling, my classmates and I were invited to do a bit of Aboriginal art. The box of painting equipment was left in a shed, and it had rained the night before. I was the first to reach for a paintbrush, and found the box filled with an all manner of inverts, including a small huntsman, and several strange crickets. I decided to try and get the bugs out and release them, so I started with the huntsman. However, I was in for a shock, as while trying to coax the spider onto my hand, a rather large (~15cm) tiger E. rubripes fell off a nearby paintbrush. Even though I had seen pictures of the tiger rubripes before, nothing prepared me for the centipede's stunning patterning; yellow-orange, with bold dark brown bands across its body. Anyway, onto the funny, though at the time rather upsetting part. My friends around me made a little more racket than I would have liked when I attempted to handle it, and drew the attention of one of the teachers. She took one look, and screamed for me to throw it into a nearby campfire. My friends protested, telling her truthfully that I love centipedes with a very special passion, and have several as pets. The teacher responded "I don't care. I want it dead, and I won't leave until it is." That was enough for me. I asked her why she wanted an innocent creature dead, and that I am an experienced centipede handler. She completely ignored my first question, but her response to the second statement amused me. "I have been teaching my year 6 class about insects for several weeks every year for five years. I think it's safe to bet that I know what I am saying. Are we going to have any more disagreements?" I responded "well...centipedes aren't insects. They have 42 legs, as opposed to six." She responded something along the lines of "just listen to me", but I didn't stop there. She still thought that she knew more than I did, so I bombarded her with scientific terminology, such as the morphology of E. rubripes, the venom composition, and my centipede socialization techniques. She opened her mouth to respond, but by then the commotion had attracted another teacher, who had known me for several years, and he let me release the centipede a good distance away. After handling it for several minutes, I let it go under a log. Upon returning, the er...bitch (and I don't swear often) asked me "what was so fulfilling to you about letting a poisonous (yeah...I know, venomous) bug live? I wanted it dead because it would have made the children safer." I responded "What is so fulfilling about burning a living creature alive in front of an entire class? I released it a safe distance away, and as such, the children are safe, and an animal gets to live another day". She then gave me a detention, which I have to attend on the first day after the holidays :happy: At least I know I got to her.

Throughout the rest of the trip, I found four more E. rubripes, and though that teacher never picked on me in regards to centipedes again, she did try her best to embarass me as best as she could for the entire tour. Amusingly, everything she did to make my trip more miserable backfired instantly. She tried to say similar stuff to me nearly every day, always making sure everyone else was listening to embarass me. However, every time, I corrected her sincerely and politely, and she came off looking like a dumbass. She also said I was a danger to myself, and made a rule that I was not allowed to go anywhere without two other students guarding me to make sure I didn't pick up any bugs. That backfired again, as the two students who accompanied me instead functioned as lookouts on my behalf.

So there's my story. And the best part was that my friends now have a newfound respect for centipedes. They are now known as the bug that caused a teacher who would otherwise spoil a trip to become exposed as a fool with not a child's understanding of what she was talking about.
I say don't go to the detention, protest your point to some higher powers (principal). Say something like "she was trying to get me to burn a small animal alive in front of a class" and "she tried embarrassing me for the whole trip"

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would have informed the darling teechr, "It's venomous. Possessing glands that produce a venom. Not to be confused with the poison you are spewing in the name of teaching." I'd also have got up in her face about having some respect for animals and.... ignore me. I lived for those confrontations and would undoubtedly ended up getting suspended for a week or two.

Should have at least asked if she thought Linnaeus was a something she found in her panties during that time of the month.

Allow me to clue you here. AKA, how the detention room and getting suspended can become old friends. A trick my cuz taught me to deal with putz teachers. Spike the teacher. Helped me on my way into higher education too.
Find an obscure something the teacher of that subject should know. Several somethings. Do your own research. Then practice being a smart mouth. Came easy for me. Then wait for the teacher to putz and blast the sucker. Like asking my english teacher if Chaucer was her hero or my science teacher if he was allergic to Sagan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
@The Snark seeing as it was on a trip to a remote locality, and we had no technology save a camera, she was unable to record my detention, which teachers have to do before they issue one. In addition, I still have nearly two weeks of holidays left, in which she may forget about it. If not, she's in the middle/primary school. I'm in grade 11, on the other side of the campus. We'll probably never run into each other again anyway. If, in the unlikely circumstance that she is so determined that she does file it at school, my head of year and deputy head of year are both very fond of me (and are well aware of how experienced I am with these critters), and I doubt they'd allow the detention to be put into place. I thought this from the beginning, which is why, instead of protesting when she "gave" me the detention, I smiled and said "you do that".

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Best read in a very long time! Cant wait to see 'Poisonous Insect' when you get it one day ;)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah. Me too. Might be a while, but I'm in constant contact with the guys who sell them. I have two rubripes already, but neither are the tiger variant. One is the half green/half tiger variant, and the other is brownish with yellow legs. The funny thing is both are rarer and harder to obtain than the tiger form.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
I hate it when people are like this ;w;
If she has some sort of extremely uncontrollable fear towards centipedes, I'd understand her wanting to kill it (wanting to burn it, I just don't get though). However, not regaining her senses and just trying to make herself look "better" by trying to humiliate and get the last word over one of her students is completely immature and unreasonable. I'm glad you handled it so well!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I think once I get a tiger rubripes, and name it "poisonous insect" in her honour, my YouTube channel will be up and running by then (at the moment, it's being delayed by the winter causing my current rubripes to be buried practically 24/7, making it impossible to handle without stressing it), and I'll do a video detailing the backstory behind its name. I wonder how she'd react if she saw the video...

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I think once I get a tiger rubripes, and name it "poisonous insect" in her honour, my YouTube channel will be up and running by then (at the moment, it's being delayed by the winter causing my current rubripes to be buried practically 24/7, making it impossible to handle without stressing it), and I'll do a video detailing the backstory behind its name. I wonder how she'd react if she saw the video...
Just going to add a tiger E. rubripes to my long list of centipedes I want to get :happy: