Sting Kit

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are there any items I should get in case of being stung? I have Centroides Species but intend to get some Hottentotta and Parabuthus species. What sorts of medications work? I heard some Whisky or some Vodka works.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are there any items I should get in case of being stung? I have Centroides Species but intend to get some Hottentotta and Parabuthus species. What sorts of medications work? I heard some Whisky or some Vodka works.
doesn't Alcohol thin the blood? so wouldn't that be bad? i see people saying that in the sting reports sometimes, but i thinks its more of pain-killing self medication joke.

epi pen, along with something like a first aid would be cool. i don't have either though.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*I am not a doctor, this does not constitute medical advice. See a REAL doctor for medical information.

Nothing is best. Maybe keep a light pain pill and muscle relaxant. Anything beyond that is a bad idea without medical training. In the event of a serious envenomation, you should prepare to go to the hospital if need be, and watch for serious systematic reactions. Having trouble breathing, a racing heart, dizziness, or any thing outside of pain and swelling, calls for a trip to the hospital. An epi pen is for allergic reactions. If you know you are allergic to scorpion venom, you shouldn't keep hot species, or at very least talk to your doctor about the epi pen and when to use it. Allergies to scorpion venom is extremely rare though. Your biggest worry as a healthy adult is systematic reaction. Hypothetically, you could die from some species stings, but this is extremely rare for any species you may get a hold of. If you can breathe, see, heart rate is normal (outside of the adrenaline rush) and you just feel pain, just grin and bare it, and prepare for a trip to hospital if needed.

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a kit in wal-mart, check in your nearest establishment if you have it available to you, I found the kit and it was in the sports section, but I do come from Texas lol.
But I do agree with Nonexile, I have both C. Vittatus and Hottentotta Judaicus and been sting by both, Judaicus was the most severe. You will experience change in color, change in temperature of the sting site along with (for an example arm) it will effect the whole appendage, however nothing severe.

If I was you I pick up some A&D Oientment (usually used for tattoos or small cuts, minor burns etc.) other than that wait it out, if you show signs of lip tingling shortness of breath this means that you are potentially allergic to the venom therefore seek medical attention.

hopefully that'll help ;)

-Tim

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is in the kit? Is it that venom extractor thing? Cuz those don't do jack. Seriously, doing nothing is the best bet. If it's a hot and you begin to have systemic reactions than get to a hospital. There really isn't a lot more you can do.

On another note - How are people getting stung? Anything in the enclosure and I'm using tweezers. My hands are never anywhere close enough that I could receive a sting.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Given the fact you ask a question here, you are not totally sure about the wodka. Drinking alcohol is not a very bright thing to do when you get stung.
I have answered these kind of questions before, and you could use the search function to look these threads up, or talk to your doctor.

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How about dipping the envenomed part to very hot water? Will that break down the protein or will it speed up its effects?

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depending on what your stung by...1)painkillers.2)muscle relaxers.3) Benadryl..some people say it helps others say no..
those sting kits with the venom extractors and all that junk in it are complete garbage and don't work..I know from first hand experience.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is in the kit? Is it that venom extractor thing? Cuz those don't do jack. Seriously, doing nothing is the best bet. If it's a hot and you begin to have systemic reactions than get to a hospital. There really isn't a lot more you can do.

On another note - How are people getting stung? Anything in the enclosure and I'm using tweezers. My hands are never anywhere close enough that I could receive a sting.
I've been stung by one, but then that's cause they run wild here and it was hiding under my computer desk :eek:

Your suppose to wash the sting sight with soapy water, maybe take a OTC pain pill or something like that and just wait. Keep your phone nearby, or let someone know so that they can wait with you if your worried.

When I was stung I was in horrific pain the first ten minutes. It stung my toe, which went from a needle poke to an explosion of fire that traveled to my foot. after about a good hour and a half of my foot feeling like it was on fire, it then it went to where it was throbbing from pain to numbness... then just numbness for about 15 hours... then back to normal.

Do NOT however intoxicate yourself. That's just asking for problems. You need to be fully aware of whats going on with your body, not drunk tripping over your tanks.

Just be careful and keep you hands out of the tank!!

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Orchid,
I came across a thread about scorpions I forget the rest lol, but you do live in Arizona right?

I've been stung by one, but then that's cause they run wild here and it was hiding under my computer desk :eek:

Your suppose to wash the sting sight with soapy water, maybe take a OTC pain pill or something like that and just wait. Keep your phone nearby, or let someone know so that they can wait with you if your worried.

When I was stung I was in horrific pain the first ten minutes. It stung my toe, which went from a needle poke to an explosion of fire that traveled to my foot. after about a good hour and a half of my foot feeling like it was on fire, it then it went to where it was throbbing from pain to numbness... then just numbness for about 15 hours... then back to normal.

Do NOT however intoxicate yourself. That's just asking for problems. You need to be fully aware of whats going on with your body, not drunk tripping over your tanks.

Just be careful and keep you hands out of the tank!!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most important thing you can have is in a sting kit is a doctors phone number and a list of the species you are keeping. You should be talking to your doctor about the species you are keeping. In case of a sting the species info is very important. Epi pens, and other antihistamines are of questionable use because scorpion venom doesn't have histamines in it.

John

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Best thing to do is what others have said, call or go to the doctor if you are getting ill effects. I've been stung 3 times now, it hurts, but it goes away - I don't think the c. sculp would be a problem unless you have an allergic reaction. They don't do anything at the E.R. anyway except say wait it out.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Because not everyone has the luxury of keeping them in a tank! When you live around them, they pretty much go anywhere they dang well please!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[/COLOR][/B]

Because not everyone has the luxury of keeping them in a tank! When you live around them, they pretty much go anywhere they dang well please!
That's a situation that's completely understandable to me. You pick up the hose, SURPRISE there's a scorpion, and you're stung. However, when they are in tanks...

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a situation that's completely understandable to me. You pick up the hose, SURPRISE there's a scorpion, and you're stung. However, when they are in tanks...
NOPE, you sit down at the computer and your stung, walk into your kids room and there it is!!! For both Kathy and I, we find them IN our homes... not fun at all!!! BUT neat when your out for a walk and very cool to keep in a comfy cage!!! lol

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i hope when someone manages to kill themself with an epipen it is someone i don't like ;P

there is no magic remedy to being stung. ride it out. scorpions can mess you up. probably want to do a lot of reading before getting them. enough reading to know an epipen is a HORRIBLE idea. not reading possibly to probably garbage forum posts, either. i am talking about real deal medical literature. it is googleable. i have done it ;)

in all likelyhood if you get a sting bad enough to "need" to be medicated OTCs won't be powerful enough to help and likely will only possibly hurt

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hope when someone manages to kill themself with an epipen it is someone i don't like ;P

wow, so well spoken. It's amazing.

You have a wealth of knowledge, but a statement like that is better left off your reply.

Many people have very good reasons for having EpiPens. I spoken with many other moms that have them, and they saved their childrens lives. They would have been dead with out them.
That may not apply to the C. Sculpts After a lot of reading it seems that if you have a reaction that sever just call 911 How ever there are lots of other allergies that people have that do require having one in the house.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow, so well spoken. It's amazing.

You have a wealth of knowledge, but a statement like that is better left off your reply.

Many people have very good reasons for having EpiPens. I spoken with many other moms that have them, and they saved their childrens lives. They would have been dead with out them.
That may not apply to the C. Sculpts After a lot of reading it seems that if you have a reaction that sever just call 911 How ever there are lots of other allergies that people have that do require having one in the house.

er, yes. they are wonderful things for preventing immediate death from anaphylactic shock.

however

this thread is about scorpion stings (or it should be... it's in the scorp forum) and epipens pretty much only going to do nothing or do bad things. i'm not going to rehash old arguments...

but like i said, i hope it is someone i don't like that buys a farm with a check written by an epiPen ;)