Rank from Most Blue to Least Blue Tarantula

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Hi,

IYO (In your opinion), which species is/are the bluest (except versi sling), to the least blue? Can you rank them from bluest under natural light to not blue at all? To simplify things let's just place the purple color under the umbrella of blue. Thanks :)

You can also add notes e.g. "blue only under camera flash but still very blue so it deserves the #3 rank" etc. Not sure if I wanted to include Moncentropus balfouri here.

Maybe @viper69 has something to contribute as well. Would be nice to have a comprehensive list of blue T's, which I tried finding by didn't.

* Baby versi defaults as the #1 bluest.
* Pterinopelma sazimai - blue color somewhat "subdued" under natural lighting
* Coremiocnemis brachyramosa
* Poecilotheria metallica
* Thrixopelma cyaneolum "blue"
* Thrixopelma lagunas
* Haplopema lividum
* Oligoxystre diamantinensis
* Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - bright "powdery blue" under natural light
* Lampropelma violaceopes
* Cyriopagopus sp. "hati-hati" - Not blue @cold blood
* Orphnaecus sp "blue Panay" - Not blue @cold blood
* Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue"
* Chilobrachys sp "Vietnam blue"
* Tapinauchenius violaceus
* Tapinauchenius cupreus
* Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti (from @boina )
* Aphonopelma moorei
* Phormictopus sp purple
* Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus
* Holothele sericea (from @sdsnybny )
* Aphonopelma seemanni "blue" (from @sdsnybny )
* Sahydroaraneus raja (from @Swede Baboon )
* Avicularia avicularia (from @Venom1080 )
* Avicularia aurantiaca (from @Venom1080 )

* Others : please specify

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hands down females only of Haplopelma lividum, for someone C.lividus but Christ, my 'brain' refuse to memorize the new scientific name :)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If you're including purple......Avicularia purpurea, then Aphonopelma seemanni BCF, Holothele sericea, there is more I'm sure.
Euathlus sp Blue, Homoeomma sp. Blue...

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
If you're including purple......Avicularia purpurea, then Aphonopelma seemanni BCF, Holothele sericea, there is more I'm sure.
Euathlus sp Blue, Homoeomma sp. Blue...
Added Aphonopelma seemanni BCF and Holothele sericea. Excluded from list Homoeomma sp. blue due to semblance to Thrixopelma lagunas; and Euthlus sp. blue due to some parts of the leg only having the blue coloration xD

I gotta say, hard to believe that Holothele sericea is even a T. Looks more like a garden spider LMAO.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Hands down females only of Haplopelma lividum, for someone C.lividus but Christ, my 'brain' refuse to memorize the new scientific name :)
I was under the impression they are blue only when exposed to flash? :) Maybe I should get them, 3 years from now. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was under the impression they are blue only when exposed to flash?
For me they are 'blue' enough :)

Had one waay back then, old as hell, given to me for free due to the Arachnids ban issue of 2003. I don't have her anymore, of course. Actually, aside a female S.subspinipes I don't have at the moment Asians in my collection.

As you can see here males aren't so 'cool' coloured btw v

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2856/9578650267_1d61e610ca_b.jpg

Overall I love those, still my fav. 'haplo' is the Chinese one, H.hainanum :angelic:

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Phormictopus sp. blue, Phormictopus cautus (purple) and Phormingochilus sp. sabah blue (not completely blue).

AracKnight

Arachnopeon
Added Aphonopelma seemanni BCF and Holothele sericea. Excluded from list Homoeomma sp. blue due to semblance to Thrixopelma lagunas; and Euthlus sp. blue due to some parts of the leg only having the blue coloration xD

I gotta say, hard to believe that Holothele sericea is even a T. Looks more like a garden spider LMAO.
Thrixopelma lagunas is definitely different from Homoeomma sp. "Blue". Thrixopelma cf. lagunas are most likely the same as Homoeomma sp. "Blue".

And it's Psednocnemis brachyramosa, not Coremiocnemis ;)

Ami sp. "Panama" is also a lovely bluish spider.

boina

Lady of the mites
Tapinauchenius's color changes under different light. Even the angle the light hits plays a role. T. cupreus is not blue under normal lighting at all. T. sanctivincenti is a washed out purple, but definitely more blue than cupreus. I haven't tried the flash treatment on my sanctivincenti yet.

Look here and go to post 253 for a good pic of normal light T. sanctivincenti. And T. latipes is blue-ish.

Edit: And Pamphobeteus ultramarinus - even the females may have blue highlights but the males are very blue.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Many many blue Avicularia.

avicularia, metallica, morphotype geroldi, moehpotype azureklassi, metallica, variegata come to mind.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
:arghh::banghead::banghead:

Thank you, I just edited the post.

(Note to self: Have more coffee before posting :confused:)

Is it safe to say that from the list the bluest under natural conditions are P. metallica and C. cyaneopubescens? Both have powder blue colors too :)