Pulled molt while T was still in the process, then cut it off. How wrong is this?

Is there ever a time to help a T during the molt process.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

petkokc

Arachnosquire
tHe dARk DEn pUlLed mOlT...

If you only wanted to find out if this was an ok thing to do you didn't really had to use my name in the title.

You have only witness tarantula molting 4 times but you still needed to point out how my action made you sick to your stomach. Despite having no experience or knowing if you are right or not, you still feel it's ok to talk down on someone.

Shame.

Last edited:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
this guy is just a squire :bored:

jokes aside, I don't see what is wrong with rarely catching Ts right during ecdysis, most of the time I will be asleep and wake up to a freshly molted T. It is already apparent the user required education, and said education has been provided.

Your chastising of @Drea is supererogatory. I understand you defend your name, BUT very obviously this user was educated on the matter. Seldom does one require to interfere, but clearly it has been conveyed perfectly fine...without the necessity of a prodigal addition expression wanton view on OP.

:writer:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If you only wanted to find out if this was an ok thing to do you didn't really had to use my name in the title.
I redacted the name from the title, since you are a member here and object to it, but I'll let the discussion stand, as it is potentially helpful.

Drea

Arachnosquire

If you only wanted to find out if this was an ok thing to do you didn't really had to use my name in the title

You have only witness tarantula molting 4 times but you still needed to point out how my action made you sick to your stomach. Despite having no experience or knowing if you are right or not, you still feel it's ok to talk down on someone.

Shame.
Hello Petko,

I am going to forgive your reaction for assuming that I was attacking you and your care of your animals. I understand that as you are one the faces of the hobby, you are under a great deal of ridicule. Therefore, any comment or question that is not in absulte reverence of you may seem like an insult.

The reason your name was used is because it is your videos that I watch all the time. It was your videos that I choose to show my friend about the molting process. It is your videos that are getting many people across the world into this hobby. I don’t believe there is anything wrong about questioning your teachers in something you don’t fully understand to ensure that you will be able to provide the best care for your animals. The very best of anyone can be wrong.

More importantly, it was your video that made me question when it was medically necessary to get involved, when it is too soon to help, and what to do should the need arise.

My statements of how I felt about watching you having to do this was immediately followed by statements of admissions that I am not expert in molting. In all of the years that I have kept tarantulas, I have not once encountered such an experience and have only been able to watch 4 out of my 52 species go through this process.

As you hopefully read, I also continued with a series of questions about what do and when do it should this ever happen to me. By admitting my feelings, I was also admitting that I didn’t know if you directly caused the situation or if it was necessary. Hence why I was asking if this wrong or right.

I offer you a sincere apology for poor wording on my part that appears to have offend you. Putting you down was never my intention and it is unfortunate that you have taken my questioning as insulting to you.

I take no shame in my questioning of your actions and I had no shame in saying that since I have no experience with this I didn’t know what is right or wrong. I only feel shame in poor communication skills in questioning these actions.

Moving forward, please contribute to this thread in helpful manner. Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

You stated that it appeared to have a problem during the molt with its abdomen. What was it exactly that you saw?

You attempted to remove the molt while the T was still on top of it. Why and was it necessary?

There was a point that you said you shouldn’t be doing those actins at all but continued to do so. This was the precise moment when I questioned you as you were questioning your self and your own actions. There was no explanation of what was going on so I reached out to others as you are not readily available.

If you can find forgiveness for my errors in wording, please contribute as to what you saw and why you felt it was necessary. I do not want to find myself in this situation and continue to be clueless and not be able to help my tarantula should the need arise.

Shame.
If you only wanted to explain in some detail why you felt it was necessary to pull the molt while the T was still working on it in your video, these questions would not have come up.

Rather then feeling offended by someone questioning what occurred, wouldn’t it more beneficial to explain what you saw that was concerning during T’s molt that lead to the sense of urgency to get involved?

This thread was not an attack you, it was and still is something that I believe is absolutely important information for me to gain because I believe there will be a day that one of myT’s will be in grave danger from a bad molt.

So again, I ask and invite you for thoughts and opinions on when and how to get involved with a molt process and not your sentimentality and this unfortunate fail of communication. Your opinion has great value if only you will to share it.

Last edited by a moderator:

petkokc

Arachnosquire
@Drea

Well thank you, it is a refreshing to hear an apology. I totally respect when someone questions my actions, but your deliver kinda set the wrong tone. I guess you can understand why it rubbed me the way it did, in this era of internet anonymity people are so quick to judge and bash on someone not really thinking too much about it. As a somewhat "public figure" I should have used to it by now but it's hard to look past it all the time.

Anyhow, to answer your questions.

As the tarantula was molting I noticed that something was "off" but couldn't really tell what. Generally when I spot tarantula molting I try to take the molt when tarantula is fully out of it so I can spread it nicely while is still fresh and moist. It is a somewhat risky move if you are not being gentle and as I said in the video, it is not recommended. While I attempted to do that I spotted that part of the molt didn't peal off tarantula abdomen (that's why it looked weird) as it should and it was still sticking. To avoid risk of a tear I cut the stuck part with a scissors which proven to be a correct move. I can't really know if tarantula would have some problems if I didn't spot it and cut it off, but this way there was no risk. Male did harden correctly and lived a happy adult life, but unfortunately ended up as a meal to my ungrateful female...they are know for doing that often.

Drea

Arachnosquire
@Drea

Well thank you, it is a refreshing to hear an apology. I totally respect when someone questions my actions, but your deliver kinda set the wrong tone. I guess you can understand why it rubbed me the way it did, in this era of internet anonymity people are so quick to judge and bash on someone not really thinking too much about it. As a somewhat "public figure" I should have used to it by now but it's hard to look past it all the time.

Anyhow, to answer your questions.

As the tarantula was molting I noticed that something was "off" but couldn't really tell what. Generally when I spot tarantula molting I try to take the molt when tarantula is fully out of it so I can spread it nicely while is still fresh and moist. It is a somewhat risky move if you are not being gentle and as I said in the video, it is not recommended. While I attempted to do that I spotted that part of the molt didn't peal off tarantula abdomen (that's why it looked weird) as it should and it was still sticking. To avoid risk of a tear I cut the stuck part with a scissors which proven to be a correct move. I can't really know if tarantula would have some problems if I didn't spot it and cut it off, but this way there was no risk. Male did harden correctly and lived a happy adult life, but unfortunately ended up as a meal to my ungrateful female...they are know for doing that often.
Thank you for jumping in and sharing your experience. Hopefully he went out doing what he loved and made a lovely egg sac for you.

Last edited: