Pulled molt while T was still in the process, then cut it off. How wrong is this?

Is there ever a time to help a T during the molt process.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drea

Arachnosquire
My friend thought my Brachypelma albiceps was dead because it was on its back with his/her legs up in the air.
I ran over there in a panic and took one look and started laughing.

Trying to explain the process of molting to some one who knows nothing of T’s is not easy so I went to you tube. The Dark Den popped up with a title that said the molt is stuck.

I thought it would show her how the T is stuck in a natural way in his old skin and has to work is way out with the new skin. (Newb talk for my friend)

Nope. As his T was on its back still in the molting process, he placed tongs in there and said he was going to pull that molt out which looked very much still attached by the abdomen by a small piece.

I was in shock, then enraged as he pulled on the molt and stated that it was “stuck” on the T. Then decided to get a pair of scissors and cut the molt off of the spider stating that the T could have ripped open his abdomen if he hadn’t help it. I can’t be sure but what he claims to be a flap of stuck molted skin appears to be a fresh wound on the book lung or the flap was in fact the new book lung. Hard to tell.

I don’t claim to be an expert on molting at all, but isn’t that putting your T in serious danger of injury or death?

Is there ever a time you should “help” your T in the molting process?

Does anyone else feel sick to their stomach by what The Dark Den did?

I guess I could leave my last question out but that is truly how I felt watching this video.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
My friend thought my Brachypelma albiceps was dead because it was on its back with his/her legs up in the air.
I ran over there in a panic and took one look and started laughing.

Trying to explain the process of molting to some one who knows nothing of T’s is not easy so I went to you tube. The Dark Den popped up with a title that said the molt is stuck.

I thought it would show her how the T is stuck in a natural way in his old skin and has to work is way out with the new skin. (Newb talk for my friend)

Nope. As his T was on its back still in the molting process, he placed tongs in there and said he was going to pull that molt out which looked very much still attached by the abdomen by a small piece.

I was in shock, then enraged as he pulled on the molt and stated that it was “stuck” on the T. Then decided to get a pair of scissors and cut the molt off of the spider stating that the T could have ripped open his abdomen if he hadn’t help it. I can’t be sure but what he claims to be a flap of stuck molted skin appears to be a fresh wound on the book lung or the flap was in fact the new book lung. Hard to tell.

I don’t claim to be an expert on molting at all, but isn’t that putting your T in serious danger of injury or death?

Is there ever a time you should “help” your T in the molting process?

Does anyone else feel sick to their stomach by what The Dark Den did?

I guess I could leave my last question out but that is truly how I felt watching this video.
Without the video we will never know and I am too lazy to search it. I doubt he would have just pulled the moult off whilst still in the process, maybe it was stuck and he was helping it? or maybe it moulted successfully and he just pulled the moult out of the enclosure, which I do all the time. I have also pulled a bit of moult off from slings that were still attached, freshly moulted tarantulas. Not much pulling involved.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
Generally, you do not want to disturb a T whatsoever during the molting process. They should also be left alone for some time after as well while their new exoskeleton hardens.

However, a stuck molt can be a death sentance. Even if there is a risk in harming the T during the process, it may be it's only hope for survival.

I have not watched the video, so my reply is regarding stuck molts in general, and not this specific case.

Last edited:

Drea

Arachnosquire
I have seen when involvement in the molt is necessary for the life of the T.

I have uploaded the video and although the whole thing is 16 minutes, the question that I have take place in the first 5 minutes.

He moves the molt while the T was in the process, than comes back to remove the molt but it appears the T was still doing it’s molt thing. He then says the molt is still attached and cuts it off.

How does one know when to get involved to help the help the T orehen getting involved is harmful to it instead?

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
No issues with what Petko did there. It was stuck in one of the book lungs. maybe it wouldnt have been a problem but he was careful enough and gave the T some space to move

You should have seen me cutting into a stuck Androctonus australis and even after all i did it survived

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's really stuck then of course you should help it, just don't rush trying to "help" while it's molting normally

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A molt stuck on the abdomen is usually the easiest to help with, if you don't wait too long it should come right off. When legs start getting stuck though, is when problems start to arise and when it gets more difficult. If a T is stuck in a molt though you should absolutely help. I mean, it's stuck, so it isn't going to get out of there on its own and unless there is some intervention it's most likely a death sentence.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sure one should help a tarantula that is stuck in a moult. No question about it. I see a problem with this though! and that is that a newbee helps to early. Sometimes it takes extra long time for them to moult. The tarantula could be resting, and an anxious new keeper with little experience in moulting steps in and maybe does more damage than good!? One has be totally certain that the spider has problems, and that can be hard especially for a newbee. If one has little experience in something, one often sees problems before they happens

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have helped a handful of my Ts out of molts when they've gotten stuck, but it's not common. Maybe 2% of the time. It just takes experience to know when it's time to intervene. The vast majority of the time, your help is not required.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Sure one should help a tarantula that is stuck in a moult. No question about it. I see a problem with this though! and that is that a newbee helps to early. Sometimes it takes extra long time for them to moult. The tarantula could be resting, and an anxious new keeper with little experience in moulting steps in and maybe does more damage than good!? One has be totally certain that the spider has problems, and that can be hard especially for a newbee. If one has little experience in something, one often sees problems before they happens
I agree with this. Yes, you should help with a stuck moult, but you need to be able to identify when they are actually stuck versus when they aren't. A tarantula stuck in a moult is a death sentence, so helping them isn't going to make matters worse and you might even be able to improve the situation. Would I have done the same thing? If I caught it in time, yes.
Not only do you need to properly identify when they are in distress, but you need the right tools to do the job properly. Have a small pair of scissors on hand in your supplies and have the corn starch ready in case there is fluid loss. Have a couple of pairs of tweezers along with cotton swabs and some fresh water. Bring them to an area with good lighting so you can see what you're dealing with and use a magnifier if you have to. Try not to panic, which is easier said than done, I know. Success increases if you are properly prepared and not scrambling at the last minute.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Screenshot_2019-04-03-14-32-14_kindlephoto-28437776.png
I assume this is the "wound" you mentioned. That looks like the book lung to me. I personally believe @petkokc did the right thing. I believe there is a thread on here about how to safely remove a stick molt, though I do not have it saved.

Drea

Arachnosquire

I have 26 T,s both NW and OW, and a small handful of slings. Thankfully, I haven’t had a problem and I hope I never do. I can safely say that I feel totally comfortable re houses my Heteroscodra maculata, my Poecilotherias, and various other fast OW. But...

Since I have never had a problem with molts and never had to help or get involved, I would not know when the T was at risk, what I should do, and at what point do I take action.

My friend wants to have one my babies so she is actively learning all she can about them before she takes one home. This is the first time she has seen a T molt ever. The DarkDen has a huge following on YouTube and inspires many people to get T’s. I can’t imagine newbs trying to help a T every time the molt because they watched this.

I don’t know how much time passed when he first tried to get the molt off but I feel like he jumped the gun which may have even caused it to be stuck. Giving him no choice but to proceed with care in cutting off the molt.

Again, I don’t know if that was the situation was from this video because I have never had a problem. So that is why I am reaching out to get more clear answers about this from more experienced people who have truly had to help there T.

I want to prepared if that day ever comes. Hope it doesn’t, but I don’t take chances on the care of my animals.

I have helped a handful of my Ts out of molts when they've gotten stuck, but it's not common. Maybe 2% of the time. It just takes experience to know when it's time to intervene. The vast majority of the time, your help is not required.
I have never had to help any of my T’s with the molt and free state that I wouldn’t know at which to get involved unless a leg was stuck and the T was trying to turn over. At point in the molt, after the legs are out, and T is working on the abdomen, is the T in danger?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 26 T,s both NW and OW, and a small handful of slings. Thankfully, I haven’t had a problem and I hope I never do. I can safely say that I feel totally comfortable re houses my Heteroscodra maculata, my Poecilotherias, and various other fast OW. But...

Since I have never had a problem with molts and never had to help or get involved, I would not know when the T was at risk, what I should do, and at what point do I take action.

My friend wants to have one my babies so she is actively learning all she can about them before she takes one home. This is the first time she has seen a T molt ever. The DarkDen has a huge following on YouTube and inspires many people to get T’s. I can’t imagine newbs trying to help a T every time the molt because they watched this.

I don’t know how much time passed when he first tried to get the molt off but I feel like he jumped the gun which may have even caused it to be stuck. Giving him no choice but to proceed with care in cutting off the molt.

Again, I don’t know if that was the situation was from this video because I have never had a problem. So that is why I am reaching out to get more clear answers about this from more experienced people who have truly had to help there T.

I want to prepared if that day ever comes. Hope it doesn’t, but I don’t take chances on the care of my animals.
I have had hundreds of tarantulas during last 20 years. I can remeber only TWICE i have had tarantulas stuck in moult, including one that moulted in transit! What imean is that this shows how seldom moult problems occurs. I think 99 % of cases where tarantulas dies or get stuck in moult is 1. The tarantula is very old , sick and weak 2 The tarantula is a mature male (they seldom moults, but it can happen. Or 3. Most common, they are set up and cared for wrongly. Noobs have to understand that a healthy tarantula, set up and cared for right almost never have any problems at all! Spiders have existed millions of years. They have petfected their ways and abilities!

Drea

Arachnosquire
View attachment 304455
No one should buy a tarantula without first doing basic research, what a sick pet owner and a tragedy!!!
Pet stores unknowingly kill so many animals due to poor care also!!
I do hope you aren’t referring to me as the sick pet owner.

I laughed at my friend because I knew he wasn’t dead and just in the molt process.

I will explain more for you so you can fully understand the situation.

My friend who thought is was dead wants to get T now because loves mine and wants one of her own. She was going to the pet store to get one and I told her that isn’t the best place at all for a T and to go to a expo or reputable breeder. I also gave her the option to have one of my mine but on the condition that she commit herself to researching the heck out of it.

She knows nothing of what the molt process actually looked like so I went to you tube to actually let her see the whole process. I don’t think that was a good thing for a newb to learn and he didn’t explain why is getting the molt to begin with.

Also, I don’t understand your picture. What are we looking at?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What in the world is going on in that picture??
Or his post.

I do hope you aren’t referring to me as the sick pet owner.

I laughed at my friend because I knew he wasn’t dead and just in the molt process.

I will explain more for you so you can fully understand the situation.

My friend who thought is was dead wants to get T now because loves mine and wants one of her own. She was going to the pet store to get one and I told her that isn’t the best place at all for a T and to go to a expo or reputable breeder. I also gave her the option to have one of my mine but on the condition that she commit herself to researching the heck out of it.

She knows nothing of what the molt process actually looked like so I went to you tube to actually let her see the whole process. I don’t think and he didn’t explain why is getting the molt to begin with.

Also, I don’t understand your picture. What are we looking at?
Never mind him, he's off to one of his tangents again. He did not understand one word of your post and just went full-blown 'bla'. ;)

Drea

Arachnosquire
View attachment 304456
I assume this is the "wound" you mentioned. That looks like the book lung to me. I personally believe @petkokc did the right thing. I believe there is a thread on here about how to safely remove a stick molt, though I do not have it saved.
I wasn’t detailed about the area in question so I apologize for that. The area I was wondering about is above the posterior book lung. There is a sliver of white that I was wondering it was an abrasion or if that is what was the anterior book lung?

I have only seen 4 of my T’s on thier back but never anything else. Most of my T’s hid themselves very well. Most of the time I know it’s coming and I go to work or sleep and it’s over by the time I get back.

I have had hundreds of tarantulas during last 20 years. I can remeber only TWICE i have had tarantulas stuck in moult, including one that moulted in transit! What imean is that this shows how seldom moult problems occurs. I think 99 % of cases where tarantulas dies or get stuck in moult is 1. The tarantula is very old , sick and weak 2 The tarantula is a mature male (they seldom moults, but it can happen. Or 3. Most common, they are set up and cared for wrongly. Noobs have to understand that a healthy tarantula, set up and cared for right almost never have any problems at all! Spiders have existed millions of years. They have petfected their ways and abilities!

From your experience, do you think that he tried to remove the molt too soon as it was still attached and then it became stuck? Or do you think that his male would have actually been stuck with that piece on the abdomen? This what I couldn’t figure out?

I have a T since I was 8. Some one gave her to me. She was a Grammostola Rosea. I have always had a T or 2 since then. Which I don’t consider much experience at all. However 5 years ago, I decided to truly dedicate myself to my love of spiders. 22 of my 26 adults were raised from slings. Thankful I haven’t lost a sling yet. I have have never had a problem with a molt either.

I would be lost if my T was in trouble from a molt. Thankful it’s not common so hopefully I will never be confronted with this situation.

What do you do if a T molts in transit? It can’t be good because they are tightly packed for safety but how would it wiggle out of the legs?

Could you please share your experience about the one that you had trouble with.

Or his post.

Never mind him, he's off to one of his tangents again. He did not understand one word of your post and just went full-blown 'bla'. ;)
I was half asleep when I wrote this in the middle of the night. ☺

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Never happened to me such a thing in 25 years of T's keeping. It's a very rare event, thankfully. IMO if the set up and the parameters are ok, then the molting process will be ok as well.

With that said, you never know... because poop happens, and then you die. Goes for us and for spiders either :pompous: