P Muticus and others for semi beginner?

Ant

Arachnopeon
What would you more experienced keepers say is a good NW species that could be used as sort of a "transition T" to a fast OW species?

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have heard psalmopous is good for that. I probably didnt spell it right. The tree spiders that have another genus i cant spell like tap gigas. I dont have any credibility cus all 18 of my t's were new worlders.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
What would you more experienced keepers say is a good NW species that could be used as sort of a "transition T" to a fast OW species?
P. cambridgei is what most people recommend I believe.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A Psalmo to prepare you for the speed, and a Nhandu to prepare you for the defensiveness.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
If you plan to get an OW arboreal f.ex. a "Pokie", then getting a "Psalmo" beforehand makes a lot of sense. If you´re more interested in terrestrial "baboons" however, I can´t see the need of getting a "Psalmo" beforehand and provided you have some experience with Ts you can go for an E.pachypus or a Ceratogryus sp. straight away if you ask me :)

cold blood

Staff member

Get a sling or three....or 10. They're cheap.

They grow very fast, so as the t grows, you will be doing re-houses along with it...a 16oz deli to a 32oz deli, to an intermediate enclosure, to the adult. With this species they grow fast. Males will mature in about a year. So in just a year you will gain a lot of experience (especially if you buy multiples) and be very prepared for OWs.

If one is serious about a hobby, a year isn't much.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel

Get a sling or three....or 10. They're cheap.

They grow very fast, so as the t grows, you will be doing re-houses along with it...a 16oz deli to a 32oz deli, to an intermediate enclosure, to the adult. With this species they grow fast. Males will mature in about a year. So in just a year you will gain a lot of experience (especially if you buy multiples) and be very prepared for OWs.

If one os serious about a hobby, a year isn't much.
I second the claim on the growth rates - I've had mine no longer than 2 weeks and it already went into premolt, molted, and is eating again. In another molt I'll need to rehouse myself, the little booger doubled in size.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have read p. Irminia are quick and usually more snappy than pokies but i will defer to those who keep both for i have neither.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I have read p. Irminia are quick and usually more snappy than pokies but i will defer to those who keep both for i have neither.
I've not had my P. irminia long, and they're still a sling. BUT I can say for certain that the P. pulcher female I once had was far more irritable and testy than any of my Poecilotheria have been.

She's the only T I've had that actually struck in defensiveness. I've had a T grab and bite onto a tong, but this was the slapping and striking combo they do when they're telling you to eff off.

She was a -gorgeous- girl, however.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I've not had my P. irminia long, and they're still a sling. BUT I can say for certain that the P. pulcher female I once had was far more irritable and testy than any of my Poecilotheria have been.

She's the only T I've had that actually struck in defensiveness. I've had a T grab and bite onto a tong, but this was the slapping and striking combo they do when they're telling you to eff off.

She was a -gorgeous- girl, however.

Such a beautiful genus. I think i might have to get a few if i can convince my wife to let me have more t's.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Such a beautiful genus. I think i might have to get a few if i can convince my wife to let me have more t's.
Make the purchase....you can ask later...for forgiveness. Tell her you have a sickness that requires you to have more T's. A lot of us are inflicted with the same sickness.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Order it, and then tell her you didn't, it was just a freebie ;P

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I
Make the purchase....you can ask later...for forgiveness. Tell her you have a sickness that requires you to have more T's. A lot of us are inflicted with the same sickness.
Its so funny how it started. Last year i wanted a B albo because i used to have one back in the day and it was the nicest T I owned when i first got this sickness. So I just had my B albo for a year. I told my wife i needed another T to help eat the crickets since i bought 12 at a time. So i got 2 slings. They were small so they werent really helpi,g with the cricket problem. I picked up a juvie b emilia. Then this sickness really set in and now i have 14 tarantulas. I did tell my wife that there is nothing she can do to stop me from getting a female g. Pulchra. I have a sling now and if it turns out to be female then i dont need to buy one. I think i just need to let the dust settle for a bit. Once some of my slings end up as males i will be looking for folks that want to use them to breed and that will free up some space for me to aquire more t's.