P Muticus and others for semi beginner?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Several of them have done laps. The only species who hasn't done laps is my 7.5" P. striata female, and perhaps it's because she's in a square enclosure rather than a round one. No, instead of doing laps she bolted out of her enclosure and onto my bookcase when I was unpacking her for the first time. Well, and the P. subfusca haven't done laps, but it's only been a day.
Not really wanting to poke the bear, but instead trying to help you with your pokie issue. Do your enclosures need more cover so your Pokies don't feel so vulnerable that they panic? I have round enclosures and square ones. Everything from 32oz deli cups to 12x12x18 Exo-Terra's. They all have a place to hide. If they look nervous, I wait. Nothing is that much of a hurry that it has to get done now.

As far as your P striata, it seems like you did your unpacking in an open room. I tend to do it in the bathtub in the bathroom. I plug holes, I throw the shower curtain up above the rod. I control the environment. I've never had a Pokie bolt, but I did have my first H mac bolt. I cupped him within a couple seconds. Was I nervous, hell yeah. But I had a game plan. I was no expert at that time and I don't consider myself one now. But I have a plan, every time.

I also don't give advice to adults like they are little helpless kids. I merely took an approach to the opposite side. I never said anything like it's SO easy. It's all hell fire and brimstone on the other side. I just say not so fast.

I was scared to death of owning an OBT before I owned one. This board was a major contributor to that fear. Despite a close knowledgeable source saying "OBT's are easy" I maintained that fear. Finally I decided to get one. I hate to break it to you, they aren't hard. They're pretty shy and just love to be left alone. Rehousings in the bath tub are fairly straightforward and simple. I've rehoused more OBT than any other tarantula I own.

It's up to the person whether they take my advice or not. I just offer a perspective on my experience. Luck or skill, who knows

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I was scared to death of owning an OBT before I owned one. This board was a major contributor to that fear. Despite a close knowledgeable source saying "OBT's are easy" I maintained that fear. Finally I decided to get one. I hate to break it to you, they aren't hard. They're pretty shy and just love to be left alone. Rehousings in the bath tub are fairly straightforward and simple.
Could not agree more!

I experienced the very same.
Got interested in an OBT very early, read what a dangerous demon lusting for human flesh it is (satire, calm ya horses y'all) and thought "no way!".
Then, a "source" also consulted me and now I have a completely different and most importantly, more accurate picture of OW's in general.

As you said: It isn't rocket science. :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Not really wanting to poke the bear, but instead trying to help you with your pokie issue. Do your enclosures need more cover so your Pokies don't feel so vulnerable that they panic? I have round enclosures and square ones. Everything from 32oz deli cups to 12x12x18 Exo-Terra's. They all have a place to hide. If they look nervous, I wait. Nothing is that much of a hurry that it has to get done now.

As far as your P striata, it seems like you did your unpacking in an open room. I tend to do it in the bathtub in the bathroom. I plug holes, I throw the shower curtain up above the rod. I control the environment. I've never had a Pokie bolt, but I did have my first H mac bolt. I cupped him within a couple seconds. Was I nervous, hell yeah. But I had a game plan. I was no expert at that time and I don't consider myself one now. But I have a plan, every time.

I also don't give advice to adults like they are little helpless kids. I merely took an approach to the opposite side. I never said anything like it's SO easy. It's all hell fire and brimstone on the other side. I just say not so fast.

I was scared to death of owning an OBT before I owned one. This board was a major contributor to that fear. Despite a close knowledgeable source saying "OBT's are easy" I maintained that fear. Finally I decided to get one. I hate to break it to you, they aren't hard. They're pretty shy and just love to be left alone. Rehousings in the bath tub are fairly straightforward and simple. I've rehoused more OBT than any other tarantula I own.

It's up to the person whether they take my advice or not. I just offer a perspective on my experience. Luck or skill, who knows
@cold blood & @Poec54 Helped me with my first Poecilotheria enclosures, actually, and after that I modeled everything after what they told me. ;) Just because they -have- run laps doesn't mean it's an every day occurrence. It only took me 2 minutes to get my striata back inside, and yes I housed her in my bedroom. It was easier than lowering a 12" x 12" x 18" exo terra into the bath tub, reach down over the edge of the tub, etc. Especially considering with my physical disability, kneeling on the floor is very hard for me. Unpacking her wasn't a big deal for me, nor was it hard to get her back in her enclosure. But I had years of experience beforehand, I hadn't just worked with three relatively easy NWs like OP has. It was just an example of the fact that this hobby isn't always as simple as 'open container, guide T into new home, shut the door, everything is fine'. Is that usually the case? Yes, she was the first OW that has ever gotten out on me. Typically things -do- go smoothly. But for the rare instance where things don't go smoothly, experience guides you through it better than anything else.

Anyway, this is yet -another- beginner and OW thread and I'm not going to have this argument for the fiftieth time because it's pointless- there will be another thread like this next month, and the month after that, and the month after that, and so on and so forth. Merely, I was correcting you when you said people were inferring Poecilotheria were the devil. That simply wasn't the case at all. And I wanted to mention that just because you haven't had any Poecilotheria do laps doesn't mean that they can't and won't do laps.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, IMO you should pass on the pokie....but the muticus wont grow faster than you can learn....like a young pokie will.

Regalis are cheap and available....no hurry to rush to one...JMO

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I think @Nightshady hit the nail on the head. The answer really lies within the individual keeper.

I've only just gotten into NWs with a P. vittata after about 3 months of OW keeping. I watched a ton of vids from @Tomoran and @petkokc and @EulersK and read Pokie threads here, paying attention to what @miss moxie and @14pokies and @Walker253 and others had to say. I looked at enclosure photos that get posted here and modeled mine after the ones I saw that looked like they worked well. Other good info came from @cold blood and @Venom1080 and @KezyGLA and tons of other users.

So I had a nice enclosure with a sufficient hide that allowed me to see inside of it while keeping the T feeling secure. There is no "real" hiding spot in its enclosure, as every nook and cranny can be viewed if the enclosure gets turned a certain way. So when it's feeding time or watering time, I can locate the T in seconds and determine if it's in a good spot for me to open the enclosure. While eating its nom, I can pick a bolus or do whatever.

Those are the steps I needed to take to feel comfortable with an OW. We're probably all different. Someone here said a while back that an OBT was their first T and there were no accidents or issues. It might be that you'll know you're ready when you don't have to ask others if they think you're ready. That coolness and confidence will come from within, and you'll know it.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
OW’s definitely have some type of allure to them that makes them seem maybe “cooler” for some reason... But in reality, I would agree and say it’s not worth it for the risk of getting bit by either one and endangering the spiders life.. I think I’ll hold off for now... Thank you!
I think that's a very wise choice and commend you for not being like many others I've seen who let that allure of OWs get them into situations outside of their comfort/experience zone. Like @miss moxie mentioned, Psalmopoeus sp. are a great step in the direction of getting into old worlds, and I personally find them more interesting than most OW species. My P. irminia is my favorite T, although I may be biased seeing that she was my first. ;)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Poecilotheria are big, lightning fast arboreals that have one heck of a bite - you'll be in the hospital if things go sour, even with a small one like the one you've been offered. But I think they get a bit more flack for being defensive than they deserve; my two haven't so much as given me a threat pose, not even my 5"+ male regalis when I rehoused him. They're shy and skittish, much preferring to hide than fight. An OBT these are not.
Yeah I think calling the P regalis the devil was inferred.
Oh yes, I went into vicious detail about how my male is a demon. :vamp: I haven't seen him in weeks; I think he's sitting in his hide plotting my death...

:troll:

Last edited:

Lettuce

Arachnopeon
Yeah I think calling the P regalis the devil was inferred. Of all my pokies (P regalis, P striata. P smithi, P metallica, P rufilata, P tigrinawesseli, P bara, and P ornata) to ever give me any trouble were my P metallica. They would always move for the opening when I popped the top. Didn't run, just moved toward it. I changed the enclosures to give them more cover, problem solved. To say, I "must have gotten lucky" is laughable. I currently have 23 Pokies. I think those numbers point toward a trend. That point might be valid if I had a few.

No matter when a person gets into old worlds, there will be a learning curve. The first time you deal with any tarantula, you will get nervous. The first few times you deal with an old world, your heart will likely feel like it's going to explode from your chest. That will happen even if you wait 5 years to get into OW's. Plan for things to go wrong (catch cups), contain the environment (small room) and you SHOULD be fine. This isn't rocket science.
You make a great point mentioning it’s not rocket science. I don’t think I’m going to get an old world just yet but I agree that it’s not that bad and people hype it up to make them seem like they’re crazy. If you have a plan and are calm, there should be little problems... Thank you for your input and showcasing the point that they are not that bad...

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
If you have a plan and are calm, there should be little problems...
Unless something goes not as planned, and you are not so calm anymore ;P
Ofc OW Ts aren't so hard to take care, but experience is needed, because you can't afford making mistake. Loosing OW somewhere in the house, or getting bitten is just really, really bad.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I wont have an ow T in my house. Currently have a toddler and two cats. I really dont feel that i ever have to get an ow either. There are plenty of exciting nw t's to keep me happy. Maybe when I am old.

Lettuce

Arachnopeon
Unless something goes not as planned, and you are not so calm anymore ;P
Ofc OW Ts aren't so hard to take care, but experience is needed, because you can't afford making mistake. Loosing OW somewhere in the house, or getting bitten is just really, really bad.
Haha very true! I would never go back in my house if and OW got loose!;)

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
Just would like to again state the fact that it is totally up to the INDIVIDUAL if they feel ready or not. I think you completely missed the point @miss moxie , if he were to feel confident and upon assessing his own skill decided to get them you can't knock him for that! Yes prior to this collection I know have I had very brief OW experience, but my point is even knowing that I knew I was more than capable of dealing with these animals and having them thrive. Obviously it's a living creature and you should respect, appreciate, and care for it as such, but that goes without saying! @Lettuce I'm glad you assessed yourself and decided to wait, when you feel you're ready you'll know! It helps to envision all aspects of owning the tarantula (feeding, transfers, care conditions, etc.) and then once you think about all of them and can confidently state you can handle the situation you can start considering the OW:wacky:

Lettuce

Arachnopeon
Just would like to again state the fact that it is totally up to the INDIVIDUAL if they feel ready or not. I think you completely missed the point @miss moxie , if he were to feel confident and upon assessing his own skill decided to get them you can't knock him for that! Yes prior to this collection I know have I had very brief OW experience, but my point is even knowing that I knew I was more than capable of dealing with these animals and having them thrive. Obviously it's a living creature and you should respect, appreciate, and care for it as such, but that goes without saying! @Lettuce I'm glad you assessed yourself and decided to wait, when you feel you're ready you'll know! It helps to envision all aspects of owning the tarantula (feeding, transfers, care conditions, etc.) and then once you think about all of them and can confidently state you can handle the situation you can start considering the OW:wacky:
Yes hopefully it won’t take forever for me to feel like I can take on an OW because they’re so cool to me! But I’d rather do what’s better for me and the spider...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
However, I did see where OP mentioned that the speed of their GBB makes them jumpy, and that they don't want to get something they're afraid of. Clearly they aren't ready and they know it.
Nothing wrong with being afraid of a spider (or any other dangerous animal). I just rehoused a C. vonwirthi, better believe I had sweaty palms by the end of it. I'm cautious every time I open a Chilobrachys' enclosure. It's not just OW's - one of my N. coloratovillosus females is the devil incarnate and I dread rehousing her. Being afraid doesn't mean someone isn't ready, it means they're smart because they know what they're dealing with. You're able to be afraid of a situation and still know how to deal with that situation. It's not the fear that should determine a purchase, it's your track record on how you've handled it in the past.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I'm taking the opposite side of the discussion. Personally, while a P regalis is fast and the bite can pack a punch, they are hardly the devil. I have about 2 dozen Pokies ranging from 2" to 8". I have yet to have on run laps around the container. I have had a few run around for a second or maybe two looking for cover. Do I pop the top when they are moving, no. I WAIT THEM OUT.

OP, you are an adult, do you lack common sense? If the answer is no, then you will in almost all certainty be fine. There is no magic time to being ready for an old world T. Take your time, have a game plan when you do anything. If it doesn't feel right, wait. Come back later and accomplish your task.

Some peoples timeline to own OW's is like 4-5 years they way they talk about the demons known to live in Africa and Asia. My first P regalis was 2 months in. I was scared to death by what I read. She never gave me a bit of problem. Honestly, I've done several Pokie rehousings. Many are far easier than the Acanthoscurria chacoana I did last night. She wasn't bad, just attacked the tongs I was using to move her. On those Pokie rehousings I have a game plan. I plan for anything that can go wrong before I start. Rehousings are when you are most likely to have an issue. The rest of the time, give them a moment to hide and do what you need to do. It's not hard if you are patient. Take the P regalis and enjoy the beauty and mystique. Don't get bit.

The P muticus is cool, but easy to deal with. Again, the bite packs a puch, but don't poke and prod. They are super shy. Give them sufficient substrate and you'll never see it. Frankly, they're kinda boring. I guess they are kind of a status symbol among baboon keepers. Just make sure they don't dehydrate. Every couple of months I soak the substate in the opposite corner to their hole.

I would never give this advice to a kid just starting out, but if you have an aptitude to keeping animals posing a danger and common sense at an adult level, you'll be fine.
Honestly, I do agree with you. I do feel that a lot of people here think owning an OW is some magical quest that requires years of experience lest ye fail and end up in the hospital. Frankly, I don’t blame them for being overly cautious though. They have no idea what kind of person they are dealing with.

For me personally, I have no doubt that I could keep an OW. I am extremely meticulous by nature, and when presented with a problem (such as rehouse a Pokie), I would research exhaustively, plan out the process extensively, predict possible complications, and have a backup plan for each of them.

Would every person who gets their first OW be so thorough and meticulous? Hardly, as the videos we have seen posted prove.

As for the OP in this situation, i can’t speak for his meticulousness, but he seemed to have a fair amount of doubt about his ability to keep an OW, and for me that is a sign to hold off a bit.

If and when I decide to get an OW, although I might ask husbandry advice, I won’t be asking if the board thinks I’m ready. If I have to ask that question to others, I’m not.

Appreciate your input.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Nothing wrong with being afraid of a spider (or any other dangerous animal). I just rehoused a C. vonwirthi, better believe I had sweaty palms by the end of it. I'm cautious every time I open a Chilobrachys' enclosure. It's not just OW's - one of my N. coloratovillosus females is the devil incarnate and I dread rehousing her. Being afraid doesn't mean someone isn't ready, it means they're smart because they know what they're dealing with. You're able to be afraid of a situation and still know how to deal with that situation. It's not the fear that should determine a purchase, it's your track record on how you've handled it in the past.
This comes down to the individuality thing, which I -do- agree with. Some people are responsible and tend to keep their head when they're scared-- others, however, panic.

There was -just- a thread where some newbie got a P. murinus and a Latrodectus sp. and videotaped their unpacking. The Latrodectus got dumped into the jar from roughly 10" or even more, and then she clumsily slammed the lid down onto the P. murinus enclosure. These are fear reactions that could have led to a burst abdomen on the Latrodectus and a crushed P. murinus. Examples like that are why I think everyone should definitely pause before buying an animal they're scared of.

It's also examples like that where experience becomes so handy. How do you get a track record of handling scary situations -without- experience?

She's also a perfect example of what I was saying earlier-- telling yourself "I think I can handle that" and actually being able to handle it when you find yourself elbow deep in it are two completely different things. People overestimate themselves and the things around them constantly. Everything is easier said than actually done.

Should fear keep someone from getting something? No, perhaps not. But it should definitely give you pause. Fear makes people clumsy, and it makes them less objective.

Last edited:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Really, rehousing T still makes you feel that way? I mean, I was little bit nervous with first several times (I guess everybody was) but with time its becoming more like a routine. Doesn't mean I am reckless, still focused and cautious, but don't feel any stress, discomfort and definitely not fear.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Really, rehousing T still makes you feel that way? I mean, I was little bit nervous with first several times (I guess everybody was) but with time its becoming more like a routine. Doesn't mean I am reckless, still focused and cautious, but don't feel any stress, discomfort and definitely not fear.
It's because the blood of Polish Hussars (Husaria) living within you is stronk :writer:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not with every spider, no. But the particularly defensive and skittish ones, absolutely. It's not that I'm jumpy or overreact, but the blood definitely gets pumping.