My OBT usambara starburst isn't aggressive yet

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
The sling is getting bigger, I put him in the taller tupperware for safety. he's growing slowly but surely; I prodded him with a pencil to see if he'd bite it but hes shy. Is that normal?

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Don't poke your specimen with a pencil, If you need to rehouse or move it to get boluses out then use the ends of a paintbrush. They require deep dry substrate with a large waterdish they will Web up there enclosure when given the chance.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some are more tolerant at disturbances than others.. They are the exception not the norm though..

Just remember temperments can change with a molt,overnight or moment by moment.. Same goes for all Ts.. Never get complacent..

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Firstly, please don't poke your spiders. You wouldn't like it if a giant prodded you to see if you fought back.

Secondly, I personally hate this species for exactly what you're describing. New hobbyists get them as juvies only to find that they're not aggressive at all - perhaps only skittish. "Apparently people were blowing their aggression out of proportion," they think.

Believe me when I say that it will grow into the aggression. One day, after a molt, this will turn into the infamous Orange Bitey Thing we all talk about. And then it will fight back at the giant poking it with a stick.

For this species, larger enclosures are better. Giving it plenty of room makes it less defensive of its claim of land, resulting in fewer bites and fewer escapes.

cold blood

Staff member
Firstly, please don't poke your spiders. You wouldn't like it if a giant prodded you to see if you fought back.

Secondly, I personally hate this species for exactly what you're describing. New hobbyists get them as juvies only to find that they're not aggressive at all - perhaps only skittish. "Apparently people were blowing their aggression out of proportion," they think.

Believe me when I say that it will grow into the aggression. One day, after a molt, this will turn into the infamous Orange Bitey Thing we all talk about. And then it will fight back at the giant poking it with a stick.

For this species, larger enclosures are better. Giving it plenty of room makes it less defensive of its claim of land, resulting in fewer bites and fewer escapes.
Right, a baby bull is docile when its young for god's sake....you can't be expecting a baby anything to act like its adult counterpart. Heck, I've never had any aggression issues from tiny babies, but by high school its a whole different animal.

I don't get why a taller enclosure would be done for safety. I hope the taller container is filled most of the way with substrate, cause then it would make sense.

And for the love of God, don't prod spiders.:banghead:

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Again,My mistake(I mean,OBT)has never shown aggression,I've mentioned that.
But to be fair-I've never,ever mucked about with it in a way(...pencil...Man...)that would piss it off,so my(relatively low)opinion of their aggresion may be uneducated.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
if the set up is correct for a tarantula, most of the time you won't encounter "aggressive" behavior. Most of the time, they will just hide and let you do your thing as is it suppose to be. If a tarantula feels threatened more species are prone to be defensive. "defensive" is the key word.

I have never encountered an old world I would consider aggressive/defensive, just sensitive.

Now I have encountered "aggressive" new worlds that I would normally associate that particular species as being docile only because I am shocked that the spiders gave me a non-positive response.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I prodded him with a pencil to see if he'd bite it but hes shy. Is that normal
Yes, it's normal behavior for people, like yourself, who don't truly care about the animals in their care. People who CARE about animals don't exhibit your pathetic behavior.

Hey Jiacobe what part of the above did you disagree with? HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Do you poke your Ts too, how's that working for ya? HAHAHAHAHHAAH

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Its better than using your finger and I've left him completely alone since he started webbing his enclosure.

Maybe you need poke it with your finger to find out about the respect you should have for it. We just had someone within the past week attach a video showing a guy doing exactly what you are to an OBT in a cup, and it raced out in a millisecond and bit him. Does that seem like a good idea to you?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yes, it's normal behavior for people, like yourself, who don't truly care about the animals in their care. People who CARE about animals don't exhibit your pathetic behavior.

Did you seriously dislike that @jiacovazzi ? This Arachne dude lost privileges before, and has spoken about how he's one of those "I want spiders because they look badass" fellows. Don't defend him.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Did you seriously dislike that @jiacovazzi ? This Arachne dude lost privileges before, and has spoken about how he's one of those "I want spiders because they look badass" fellows. Don't defend him.
Really? I was about to ask people to calm down, but apparently I'm out of the loop.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Now I'm itching to see the video where the idiot gets bitten for poking his spider. It's rare that Karma actually makes a, well overdue, appearance over on YouTube.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't think he's defending him so much as he's holding a grudge against people he argued with in the past.

Not that that is any better.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon

Dude, no need to call another person names. Educate. We were all new at some point...

EDIT: I just learned what member we're dealing with. Still, you shouldn't accuse someone of being uncaring because they are ignorant.