My OBT usambara starburst isn't aggressive yet

14pokies

Arachnoprince
As long threads don't become hate tossing insult fests then I like to see where they go .
OBT was also my second tarantula . I believe they went by the pet shop handle of cinnamon tarantulas (?) back then . Granted that was a few decades ago and that may have been a what my LPS was calling them .
My brother used to refer to a species that went by the common name of cinnamon tarantula.. There was also a reference to them in a book that he had..

Your the only other person I have heard mention this common name and I would love to pin down what species he was referring too.

I don't know that it could of been an OBT because he was talking about them back when I was around 4-5yr old and that was 29-30yrs ago... I don't think OBTs were available back then.. Im not sure though..

The reason I would love to find the book is because on one page if memory serves me correct there was an emerald green tarantula... Knowing what I know now about Ts its a species I haven't seen since.. The book had to be made back in the late seventys very early 80's and had a B.smithi on the cover..

Ring any bells? Anyone?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I wish had some pictures because I remember the speed and wildly aggressive behavior more then I remember the color . I know I thought the name didn't fit because it seemed like a cinnamon tarantula should be brown . I took a long break from pets while I was at college and by the time I got back into the hobby there was suddenly a huge variety of Ts available. I knew the first time that I saw something called an OBT I was sure it was what I had owned before . I do remember that this LPS was the first place I saw Reticulated and Rock pythons so I guess they could of had a an animal importer that had access to African species . To be honest were talking about many many years ago and my memory isn't what it use to be .

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My brother used to refer to a species that went by the common name of cinnamon tarantula.. There was also a reference to them in a book that he had..

Your the only other person I have heard mention this common name and I would love to pin down what species he was referring too.

I don't know that it could of been an OBT because he was talking about them back when I was around 4-5yr old and that was 29-30yrs ago... I don't think OBTs were available back then.. Im not sure though..

The reason I would love to find the book is because on one page if memory serves me correct there was an emerald green tarantula... Knowing what I know now about Ts its a species I haven't seen since.. The book had to be made back in the late seventys very early 80's and had a B.smithi on the cover..

Ring any bells? Anyone?
@14pokies @BorisTheSpider
http://www.goodbooksinthewoods.com/pages/books/38992/john-g-browning/tarantulas

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
A quick Google search for cinnamon tarantula brought up a pic of an Aphonopelma species but what I had was no Aphonopelma . Once again the use of common names causes an issue . Scientific names always , although the species name may not have been available to my LPS back then .

14pokies

Arachnoprince
A quick Google search for cinnamon tarantula brought up a pic of an Aphonopelma species but what I had was no Aphonopelma . Once again the use of common names causes an issue . Scientific names always , although the species name may not have been available to my LPS back then .
Yea it does...

No before he passed I showed him some google images and he didn't recognize any of them.. It was less than 10 yrs ago that we searched google and I went over every species I could think of....

cold blood

Staff member

Ring any bells? Anyone?
I vaguely recall that being the "camaroon red", which I believe was a common name for H. gigas (if I recall correctly). I'm terrible with common names, so I could be mixed up.:sour:

P. muticus is the right color as well...but that's a pretty distinct t.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
but as a absolute espresso fanatic I choose to give what I like to give .
Oh, "espresso"? We love to call that just coffee here. Tought you liked that vile, disgusting, liquid black sort of pigsville drink served in the US in those carafes by chubby Ladies, like in "Natural Born Killers" flick opening.
I remember that garbage well in California when i visited Mom's family. Jesus Christ, that's not a coffee.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Oh, "espresso"? We love to call that just coffee here. Tought you liked that vile, disgusting, liquid black sort of pigsville drink served in the US in those carafes by chubby Ladies, like in "Natural Born Killers" flick opening.
I remember that garbage well in California when i visited Mom's family. Jesus Christ, that's not a coffee.
Coffee in this country is an atocicity. it's all disgusting Starbucks and gas station coffee .

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Even more bizarre, is the all too common belief that humans aren't animals, even though chimps have 98% of the same DNA we do.
The bonobo chimps have 98% of our genes. Actually we have 98% of theirs. The bonobos are peaceful, matriarchical and have a very complex society. The chimps that Jane Goodall studied are male dominated society prone to marauding and senseless killing. Not trying to start a fight, just stating the way things are.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Coffee in this country is an atocicity. it's all disgusting Starbucks and gas station coffee .
When i visited the US (East Coast, West Coast mostly, and part of the Midwest -- Missouri) i was prepared for that, but seriously, that "drink" is a torture and you realize that only the very moment that's down your throat ah ah.
For a good coffee, save for my Mom's family, had to reach Bensonhurst lol :banghead: to think that South America is so near to you, hence an easy access to top quality coffee class!

I think it's a good match however... US coffee VS the French one. Both terrible... but i save the US one, because at least "yours" isn't a cheap mockery of Italian one :)

Btw i was talking to normal, carafe/s dinner Bar old school US coffee, have not a clue about the Starbucks one because i don't enter into such places.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wish had some pictures because I remember the speed and wildly aggressive behavior more then I remember the color . I know I thought the name didn't fit because it seemed like a cinnamon tarantula should be brown .

The name Cinnamon Brown Tarantula floated around back in the 1970's. I forgot all about that. I'm not sure, but it may have been the grey Aphonopelma seemani from Guatemala that was being imported at the time. I also seem to vaguely remember the name not being a good fit for the spider's actual color. There were only a handful of species being imported into the US back then, so there's not many candidates it could have been. No one knew any scientific names; there was Mexican Red Leg, Curly Hair, Haitian Brown, Pink Toe; so I'm thinking the grey seemani must have been the Cinnamon Brown. There really wasn't even a 'hobby' then, virtually no breeding, few people able to find another collector. You were on your own.

Not surprised the word Cinnamon was probably used for several unrelated species, again showing that common names cause more confusion than anything else, and why we shouldn't use them here.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I vaguely recall that being the "camaroon red", which I believe was a common name for H. gigas (if I recall correctly). I'm terrible with common names, so I could be mixed up.:sour:

P. muticus is the right color as well...but that's a pretty distinct t.
With some imagination it would fit with his description based on size.. (Now mind you he wasn't a Tarantulas guy just a casual keeper of one species, once) but he said they were the size of a small dinner plate and were a grayish red ( cinnamon lol).. I don't think I ever showed him gigas so that could be it...

I'm pretty sure the T he had was a phormictopus sp. I was never allowed to get a very good look at it because it could jump 20 feet and kill me with a single bite...pretty sure he just told me that to keep me out of his room..Lol..
He allways wanted one of these damn cinnamon Tarantulas though.Lol